Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RCA1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2119A623-BA15-4144-96A0-EDCCB411D6ED.gif
    EF75821A-6823-4C6F-8359-5ADCE0314305.gif
    #1 2 years ago

I would like to resolve the pinball cleaner playfield concerns. I did some research and found the Mill Wax Playfield cleaner and also found the topic and argument on Pinside. I found that this cleaner has been around since the beginning of solid-state pinball. I found that there were mixed reviews and in part by pinball fanatics and geeks. Some say throw it in the garbage and some say that this is their favorite cleaner. By any stretch of the imagination am I an expert and I am a amateur pinball owner as well. With that being said, I may have to perform general maintenance on my own. It wasn’t till recent times that I discovered that you can get new playfields on these machines. However, doing internet research I discovered how the playfield is created. This will help understand on what products to use and not to use on your playfield. The playfield has a clear coat of the Diamond Plate product. In other early model machines, there may have been a lacquer. Once the plywood is milled it goes through a screening process like you would screening a shirt for graphics. Then the Diamond Plate is applied as a protective layer over the newly screened artwork. The Diamond Plate product is used as a ceramic clearcoat on automotive paint. As long as you are not using paint thinner, you can use any product that is safe for the ceramic clearcoat on a car or the lacquer of wooden furniture. Solvents not to use is rubbing alcohol, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide or petroleum-based products. I would also be weary of Windex on the playfield; a local vender’s website mentioned Windex so I gave it a try. I first used Mill Wax playfield cleaner on Terminator and it got most of the gummed-up areas fairly clean. The ball lane where the ball launches have those black lines from the ball. Windex didn’t get it clean enough. The Mill Wax product got most of it up, but when I run my finger over the black line, I can feel that it is abrasive from general wear. Then I used it on Twilight Zone and not sure if this was the best product to use. I’m not sure if Twilight Zone has the Diamond Plate product, but perhaps a lacquer. The flippers have the black lines and this product reduced it, but you can still see the black lines faintly. However, when cleaning the rubber bands and plastic targets the Mill Wax product gets it very clean. Some have mentioned to use Novus 2 as a playfield cleaner. This product is directed to be used on plastics. On companies’ websites that do restorations they mention about a 3-step process. Exactly what is this process? People use Carnauba Wax and this is fine. I can see it being used when all plastics removed and the playfield completely removed for cleaning. This allows for a complete buffering of the playfield. Not sure why anyone would want wax residue on their playfield without completely buffing out the wax. I’m not going to wax the playfield doing a general cleaning. I have found some kind of powdery residue on Twilight Zone and Terminator. The residue is in certain inconspicuous areas and not sure if they are from solenoids. I would like to try using a ceramic cleaner in a spray bottle that is used to clean the exterior of a car. Obviously, spray on a cloth and rub on playfield. Or try a furniture cleaner for wooden surfaces. As far as the Mill Wax is concerned; if you baby your car, and wouldn’t put it on the surface of your vehicle, and petroleum products are not recommended by auto-detailers, then I would say not to use it on the playfield. But it can be used to clean targets and rubber components.

#2 2 years ago

First: yikes.

Second, here's a good source of info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Millwax is generally a poor choice. Yes, there are certain die hard fans, but it is not an appropriate product, especially for more modern games.

Cleaner waxes are bad. Combined products or all-in-one products just don't work well. Individual products designed for just one purpose are better for the materials and easier to get the results you're looking for.

Don't use windex. It usually contains ammonia.

For light cleaning, novus 1 can be safely used on the playfield and all the parts.

Novus 2 is abrasive, and is generally used for smoothing down scratches or cleaning out ball trails (black lines left by the ball).

For a heavy cleaning (as in, caked with dirt and grime), my go-to is usually simple green. However, because it's water-based, there's a risk of it seeping into the wood, so never spray it directly onto the playfield. Just a cloth or paper towel, and then wipe down the surface.

For wax, I prefer blitz carnauba paste wax. Some people prefer p21s. Still others prefer a couple other brands. Lquid spray wax is useless. Don't use any silicon-based "wax" or shine product--it's not really wax.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

But it can be used to clean targets and rubber components.

You can use novus 1, although sometimes alcohol or naphtha to clean rubbers.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

I have found some kind of powdery residue

If it's white, it's probably just old wax. Use a vacuum or shop vac with a micro attachment kit to suck that out. If it's embedded, you can use naphtha to clean out/off the wax.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

Not sure why anyone would want wax residue on their playfield without completely buffing out the wax

Buffing isn't really necessary. A little wax on fibercloth, make sure it's warmed up, and a little rubbing goes a long way.

Lastly, be sure to install brand new balls, and clean the oil off the balls. Old scratched up balls will just wear down the playfield.

#3 2 years ago

I reviewed the thread on the link provided in the above-mentioned. I read through a couple of pages. One of the pinsiders’ had a lot of technical or scientific information and provided illustrations. After reading the thread it was not recommended to use Novus products on the playfield. However, I can see it being useful on worn out plastic ramps. As far as Simply Green, it’s also not recommended. But if you have a restoration project and experience with this product by all means use it to remove gunk from the playfield. That’s if you have anecdotal experience with certain methodologies and cleaning agents. The Powdery residue, I concur that it’s old wax. I took an LED flashlight to get a closer look at my Twilight Zone and the playfield is in good condition with minimal wear. As far as Naphtha, I wouldn’t use it to clean a pinball machine. Replacing the pinballs is a good idea. I was once told by a seller that if there’s a little rust on the ball it can tear up the playfield. I stand behind the do not use when I mentioned the chemicals in this thread. But I’m open to experiment and I would like to try a non-abrasive wood cleaner. And maybe a ceramic exterior car cleaner on Terminator 2. I know that in the future I could get a new playfield for Twilight Zone, so I’m just going to run it to the ground. But I don’t play it that much, so the wear on the machines are minimal. But the more plays and trite cleanings, and neglect, will wear pinball machines. Especially for commercial use.

#4 2 years ago

Novus 2 works great to clean playfields.

Novus 3 should be thrown in the trash, at least as far as pinball is concerned.

Honest question, there are literally DECADES of experience on this board maintaining, cleaning and restoring pinball machines. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Blake:

I would like to resolve the pinball cleaner playfield concerns.

And I would like to resolve world hunger! We both have an equal chance of success. It’s been debated for decades and everyone has their dogma and facts won’t change many minds. There is a general, reasonable consensus which I am sure others will and have described but no way to bring everyone to the same page.

#6 2 years ago

Note to the OP. Consider using paragraphs and strive to be far more concise. Those massive, wandering blocks of text are impossible to read.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

Note to the OP. Consider using paragraphs and strive to be far more concise. Those massive, wandering blocks of text are impossible to read.

So much so that I refuse to even try - kudos to ForceFlow for doing it.

#8 2 years ago

Don't use paper towels on playfield surfaces, they will scratch it. I've done it and seen it first hand by others.

Stick with a new soft cloth.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Blake:

After reading the thread it was not recommended to use Novus products on the playfield.

Novus 1 is fine.

Novus 2 is for fine scratches and ball trails

Novus 3 isn't really used.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

As far as Simply Green, it’s also not recommended.

Did you read what I wrote above about simple green? It's safe to use so long as you don't let it soak into the wood. Even then, it takes a quite a bit of exposure to even start to affect the wood.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

As far as Naphtha, I wouldn’t use it to clean a pinball machine.

It's fine to use on the surface of a playfield. It can remove residue, goo, and wax. It is not safe to use on bare paint, since it will remove the paint.

All these cleaning chemicals have specific purposes and specific methods on how to use them safely and not harm your games. Writing them off just because they are safe to use for one purpose and potentially not another is not the right approach.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

I was once told by a seller that if there’s a little rust on the ball it can tear up the playfield.

Yep, scratches are bad, rust is much worse. It acts like rough sandpaper.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

And maybe a ceramic exterior car cleaner on Terminator 2

I haven't read about anyone using ceramic products on pins.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

I’m just going to run it to the ground

Please don't. I'd suggest wax and also mylar in high trafficked areas to help protect the playfield. Look at restoration threads for worn playfields. Wherever there is significant wear is a good place to put down mylar.

Cliffy protectors are also a good idea.

Quoted from Dr_Blake:

That’s if you have anecdotal experience with certain methodologies and cleaning agents.

Consider the above my findings from several years of fixing and repairing games.

#10 2 years ago

I totally respect your years of experience. Empirical findings are the primary movers of knowledge as opposed to a priori. I want to thank you for taking the time to express your findings and experiences. And yes, I’m aware of the wealth of knowledge and resources on Pinside. I know this is a sensitive topic and methods can be quite arbitrary. I anticipated that I would receive some backlash from my comments.

As far as the missing paragraphs are concerned, Pinside recommended not to use them when writing a story. As for reinventing the wheel, I strongly encourage it. Pinball machines are works of imagination and engineering. Such phenomena of human ingenuity should be embraced. In regards to the comment in the above-mentioned, “And I would like to resolve world hunger! We both have an equal chance of success. It’s been debated for decades and everyone has their dogma and facts won’t change many minds. There is a general, reasonable consensus which I am sure others will and have described but no way to bring everyone to the same page”.

World hunger can be revolved, but not in our lifetime. The North American adage, “All Men Are Created Equal” is a metaphor that we all have an equal opportunity for success. Obviously, there are other underlying phenomena that prevents success in the struggle for existence. However, this topic is outside the scope of Pinside. Yes, humankind can be blindsided by monkish ignorance and superstition. Science cannot help those who believe or use the word faith in context. Again, outside the scope of this discussion.

Make sure you lookout for my research in the future. Because it is written to bring what is unconscious to consciousness in humanity. My suggestion is to take the time to read. But I suppose that we can all agree that this post can be closed. But if I find a better cleaning solution, I shall let you know.

#11 2 years ago

Uh, that certainly took an unexpected turn

I guess it's up to you what you want to do with your games, but if you're asking the collective knowledge base of the pinball community about what to do, the advice above is more or less a really brief description about what most people tend to do with 90s era games.

#12 2 years ago
    EF75821A-6823-4C6F-8359-5ADCE0314305.gifEF75821A-6823-4C6F-8359-5ADCE0314305.gif
    #13 2 years ago

What the hell is happening in this thread?

#14 2 years ago

The Dogma of Playfield cleaning.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Blake:

Make sure you lookout for my research in the future.

2119A623-BA15-4144-96A0-EDCCB411D6ED.gif2119A623-BA15-4144-96A0-EDCCB411D6ED.gif
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

What the hell is happening in this thread?

Paragraphs now.
    So that's an improvement. I guess.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaner-resolution-?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.