You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Okay, so I bought a new to me Metallica LE with about 600 plays or so on it. Its been my pride and joy, I replace the pinballs every 50-60 games, keep it clean and its modded up. That's the good new, now here is the bad news. I've noticed where this game has an edge that the pinball travels, it seems to have clear coat issues. Noticed it in the shooter lane(now cliffy'd), noticed it on the drain/ball through area and that started me worrying about the sparky, cross and hammer magnet. I've read the good and the bad about the sparky magnet protectors and I thought I would just leave mine alone(after hearing others are doing the same) and keep it clean and waxed. So to make this long story even longer, the mushroomed magnet was starting to bug me, just because it doesn't look cherry and new. So I removed the assembly and magnet out of the play-field. I noticed that the edges are just starting the to chip up and if you look closely at the mushroomed magnet you can see why(look at the good hit it took on the edge). It just took a few good hits to push part of the magnet below the playfield and as a result there is some light chipping.

I would like to get this back to new condition(play-field and magnet) . Can you help point a guy in the right direction. I haven't done any of this work before so probably need a step by step.

1st. Mushroomed Magnet restore. Does anyone have a good machine shop or know where I can send my cross magnet and sparky to get it sanded down and edges milled and polished of course(better than new).(I have the spark air-ball protector on the way to help keep things nice after re do). I was also thinking I should have the edge milled at more of an angle than from factory as thats how its going to end up anyway. I heard someone sells different magnets(hardened cores) and I'm not sure if I should go that route(replace or repair)? Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do?

2nd. Play field chip repair around the sparky magnet.I was reading a post where someone suggested using hard as nails then wet-sanding with 1000 grit. Has anyone tried this? On pinball restoration there is mention of an expoxy that can be uv heated. I've also heard of using testors paint(not sure on the specifics though)I'm open to suggestions from someone who has experience in this type of repair. I just think this needs a coat of something to strengthen it up even if I do the magnet protector and get the surface back to level and looking good. I've tried searching through the forums, and there has been some posts, just haven't got enough info to make a decision on method yet knowing this area gets beat with activity.

IMG_0948.jpgIMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0946.jpgIMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0949.jpgIMG_0949.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Buy a new hardened core. Slap a protector on it and play. You can either have a game look brand new or play it, you cannot have both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-chip-repair-and-mushroomed-magnet-repair-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.