(Topic ID: 249868)

Playfield Bulk Buy - Best way to value, sell, etc.

By robertmee

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-08-22-12-09-44 (resized).png
    20190820_100407 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100040 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100653 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100040 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100132 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100412 (resized).jpg
    20190820_075421 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

This past weekend, I bought a bulk buy of project machines and 52 playfields. 48 of the playfields are still populated top/bottom. I'll be going through them, trying to identify some of them (will ask in this thread), cleaning them some and taking pictures. In lieu of that, however, I'm struggling a bit with the best way to sell them. As a whole, is it best to sell PF's populated as they are, or strip them, and sell the parts separate. Most even still have the aprons. My concern is the populated ones, especially, the EM's are very heavy and so shipping would be difficult. Also, I would think the value of a populated field is less than an unpopulated one Plus the parts (Plastics, mechs, etc.), but then that brings into labor of stripping and packing separate.

Secondly, what's the best way to value these? They range from EM 60's to DMD 90's, with most falling in the 70s to 80s range. I'll post a couple of pics here now (big Guns, Shipmates), but understand, these are fresh off the truck and haven't been even wiped with a rag. For condition, some are worn, some would be wall art at best, IMO, but some probably have some decent parts on them that are useful to the EM guys, which I am not (an EM guy). Some unfortunately have some small scratches in the PF from the way the OP stored them (mech's of one, scratched PF of the one behind it), so I don't know how easy or how hard it is to touch those up vs normal paint loss from ball wear. I'm completely lost when it comes to valuation of these EMs, and PF's in general.

Lastly, would it be worth it to bundle them all up and ship them to a restorer to fix some of the issues and then sell them, or just sell them as is and let the individuals decide what to do with them?

In general, any advice would be appreciated.

20190820_075421 (resized).jpg20190820_075421 (resized).jpg20190820_100132 (resized).jpg20190820_100132 (resized).jpg20190820_100412 (resized).jpg20190820_100412 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

And two I need help identifying (Don't think the EK parts belong on the first one)
    20190820_100040 (resized).jpg20190820_100040 (resized).jpg20190820_100653 (resized).jpg20190820_100653 (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The one with the EK caps was a "Tournament kit" you can buy that was a re-theme with overlay, plastics and new backglass.
    I can't recall off the top of my head what the base game was. Looking at the playfield I'd say EK is correct.

Nice catch. Just so happens, an EK was also in the group, and you are correct. Same PF. They had the backglass in a wall hanger. Didn't even think to ask for it. Not sure it would be any value and it was kind of cheesy. Had a mirror for the face, to show the player's face.

20190820_100040 (resized).jpg20190820_100040 (resized).jpg20190820_100407 (resized).jpg20190820_100407 (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

Any chance there's a de populated SW?

Stellar Wars, Star Wars? Neither, I'm afraid.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm looking for some classic stern electronics aprons, like 1980-81 era. I agree though, it will take more time and be a pain of communication, but listing them individually is the way to go for sure. I just did something similar in purchasing a bunch of playfields and I did offer them to someone at a discounted price in a package and they told me I was way over priced...I'm glad they did because I basically sold them for about double breaking them up individually.

I think the only apron I have is on a Catacomb playfield. Have a Big Game PF, but I don't think it had the apron.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

List all of them here, the pms will come

That is the intent, but not even sure what "all of them" is yet, so trying to sort through, and will post them in batches in the coming days.

Thanks to everyone that has replied...the information is helpful.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I would be interested in a populated pf. I think if they are populated, people like me will try to make a machine around that.

Most of them are populated, but I'm sure over the years, the OP has robbed a piece here and there. You can see missing pop for example on the Palooka. The Big Guns seems pretty complete though. Some of them are probably good for re-themes or firewood. There's a Space Invader one that the entire middle artwork is a nice wood grain.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

From a guy with years of experience doing this first off all I can say is "good luck". Regardless of how you do it or what you do you will find it takes hundreds of hours to deal with something like this.
    If the art is nice on a playfield you are likely better off selling it whole (as it sits) but from my experience once you start looking at them closely you will find only a low percentage of them actually have good art on them. Even if they were nice moving them like you did likely created some damage to a lot of them. (I am not faulting you for the way you moved them but there is really no great way to transport dozens of playfields).
    The issue with selling them whole is shipping is insanely expensive. Boxing them is a PITA and packing supply cost add up quickly. And it that isn't bad enough most people will not want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a decent playfield (including shipping) unless a machine has some value. In other words who is going to want to pay $300 plus shipping for a nice fully populated Flip Flop playfield plus another $100 or more shipping when a nice Flip Flop machine in working condition is only worth $600?
    On the other hand parting them out with take hundreds of hours and an average playfield only has about $300 worth of parts on it and in most cases that is a stretch. I have done hundreds of them and it really isn't a money maker!
    As you have already found out you will be getting dozens of emails asking for specific parts, specific playfields, etc, Next people will start bitching because you didn't get back to them - or because of the fact they really wanted something and you sold it to someone else - etc.
    Something like this seems like you struck gold but in the end you will find you killed yourself for nothing. Don't get me wrong I find doing these parts very rewarding - the issue is people just don't understand how much time & energy it takes.
    In any event if I can help you in any way feel free to PM me. I have ZERO interest in buying more - I already have too much - but I will gladly help you if I can.
    I have the same issue here not knowing what to do with dozens of beautiful fully populated playfields I have accumulated over the years. The "rough ones" are easy - I just make them into parts and list those parts on eBay. It is the nice ones that I find are the problem. You can't take them to shows without risking damaging them, I don't want to deal with packing and shipping them, and I hate to part them out since they are nicer than the playfields in 90% of the machines I see at shows. What the heck do you do with those?
    FYI - almost every playfield is marked somewhere for easy ID. Some are marked under the apron and others are market under the top arch.

Fantastic post, and confirms alot of my thoughts. I'm not trying to score big on these, really just bought them to save them. I hope they go to good homes and help someone find that elusive part, or just as wall art. Yes I can see some areas of damage from the way the OP stored them, so you hit that nail on the head.

As for PMs, so far everyone has been respectful and patient. I'm in the early stages of even knowing what I have, and I have my day job too, so it will be a slow process at times.

Thsnk you again for the detailed post.

#24 4 years ago

I'm going to be "out of the office" for the remainder of the day. I have two PMs I havent reaponded to but reached my daily limit of 20 as I'm not a pinside plus subscriber. I'll have to rectify that if I start listing stuff here. Just know im not ignoring you.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Looking at the load in the truck I can tell you almost 100% for sure it is all EM or early SS stuff and there is likely nothing as new as a Williams System 11 playfield in that mix. It is rare for System 11 and newer stuff to be sold in bulk and most lots like this end up being a lot of rough EM parts with a few Williams System 3 to 7 or Classic Bally & Gottlieb SS in the mix. I know Big Guns doesn't fit into what I am saying here but that is likely the only newer playfield in that lot - maybe one or two others but it is hard to say for sure from the pictures.
    My bet would be 65% EM's and 25% earlier SS with maybe one or two slightly newer playfields like that Big Guns. Not a ton of high powered stuff for sure but still a bunch of good old parts.

Not too far off, but actually 3 system 11 pfs (Pinbot, Big Guns, F-14) and 1 DMD pf (Gilligan).

#42 4 years ago

Hey, I appreciate everyones time and advice....different perspectives are always welcome.

I have tried to respond to everyones PM. If I somehow missed you, or you dont feel my response was adequate, feel free to send me a follow up.

A few notes.

Patience will be key. I know everyone wants a deal, or needs xyz, and I'll try to accomodate best I can. I have a day job, so can really only work on this some nights and weekends.

Some are asking for package deals of pfs and games. I'm not ready to move onto games yet. I need to get the pfs sold before i can set up the games, take pics, evaluate what's missing, etc. Its not fair to you or me to sell a gsme that's completely unknown. It might be missing a board for all I know.

I'm trying to be fair and letting those know via PM if someone else has inquired first. It's difficult to manage and I'm doing my best. Also, im trying to be fair...if someone needs a pf to help their game, or a part, that's great. I'd prefer that over someone just wanting a bunch of random pfs that they cant use. I havent had that really occur yet...everyone has been fairly specific about a need.

Lastly, I have no idea yet the value of most of these or how much it costs to ship. I'm not looking to get rich. I want a fair price and parts to go to people in need. So if you have a price that makes sense to you, please include it in the pm... shipping too. I'm not going ro auction these, or play you against another pinsider. But it will expedite the process. I have 52 pfs, and if I can earn a few bucks over what I paid, I'm happy with that. The goal here was to save them, not to retire on them.

I hope I've offended noone, and I'll continue to be fair and diligent.

Thanks for listening.

#54 4 years ago

Guys, I appreciate the advice, and yes, I've been inundated with PMs asking for certain items. I'm okay with that, as I understand the excitement, especially if there is some elusive part or PF you've been after. I might do the same in an instance of exuberance, so I don't begrudge anyone for doing so.

Too Many has been very kind in discussing the pro's and con's of deals like these, and has been very helpful with his advice. It is true, that I am resistant to doing a bulk deal, for many reasons. Reason A) I don't even really know what I have, so how can I expect anyone else to know and make an offer that makes sense? I would feel badly if I sold a lot of pieces on a gamble, and it all turned to junk for the buyer. That would make me feel worse vs if there was some hidden nugget in there (like an EM EK PF) and they scored. I would actually be cool with that. Reason B) I don't want it to go to a hoarder or flipper, who is just going to turn around and sell it for a higher price, possibly pricing out someone in need of a part to restore a game. The intent of going through the trouble of purchasing and rescuing these playfields was to help the pinball community at large. These were stored and loaded onto my truck without even inspecting them. The first time I really saw them was unloading them from the truck. So I took a leap of faith myself that it would be worth saving these from the dumpster, and no, they weren't free. I had to pay for them, and rent a truck, and store them in my garage, and impose on friends to help unload, etc.

Yes, I have been in conversation with dc2010 about several things, including purchasing multiple items, but I have also emphasized that there are pieces that I have already semi-promised to people that would not be part of any multi-piece purchase. And I have also repeatedly emphasized, that any type of 'deal' would involve distributing the parts to those in need at fair prices. What I'm finding out from talking to Too Many and others via PM is that the value of the populated EM playfields, which is the bulk of this lot, lies primarily in the parts, not necessarily the boards. And to get that value is going to involve more work on my end that I'll have time to do, due to my work and family commitments. It's a process to determine the best course, and I'm sorry, being new at an operator buy out like this, I don't have all the right answers, and I'm sure I'll stumble along the way and end up pissing someone off.

But please, going forward, can we keep the back and forth between individuals to a minimum? In my naivete, the purpose of this thread was to get some insight on how best to process this purchase. I've read threads on game deals, but never playfields, so it was uncharted territory for me. But we've seemed to have drifted away from the purpose of the thread. I have no problem, people posting their opinion, and you can call me an idiot for mine. And feel free to call me an idiot for any decisions I make. But, respectfully, I don't think the back and forth between members is constructive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-bulk-buy-best-way-to-value-sell-etc?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.