(Topic ID: 249868)

Playfield Bulk Buy - Best way to value, sell, etc.

By robertmee

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-08-22-12-09-44 (resized).png
    20190820_100407 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100040 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100653 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100040 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100132 (resized).jpg
    20190820_100412 (resized).jpg
    20190820_075421 (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

I own 3 pins, I'm not flipping sh*t. I'm not a dealer, flipper, or even a hoarder, I'm trying to rebuild a collection lost to Arson.
    Frankly at prices discussed there's no flip there anyway, even if a bulk buy happens they will go to several different collectors, not 1

I have talked to OP via PM and he isn't interested in selling in bulk at this point according to what he told me. I have no interest in any of it - I already own way too much stuff for someone my age - but I offered to help him any way I could since I have years of experience with both bulk purchases & parting out machines.

As I told him all I can do is give him suggestions but bottom line how he handles things is entirely up to him. The main thing I can't emphasize enough to Pinsiders here is deals like this are no easy task. EVERYONE seems to want a piece of it and sadly it drives the buyer (OP) INSANE. I have had it happen to me so often I don't even post when I make a deal anymore. People just take all the fun out of it by not leaving seller along for a minute so they can step back and process things. Everyone wants to have "first shot" at the stuff so people just keep pushing & pushing trying to "justify" why they are the ones that should be getting the stuff.

Give the OP some time to figure it all out. Once he does there will be plenty for everyone.

Enough said!

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I have talked to OP via PM and he isn't interested in selling in bulk at this point according to what he told me. I have no interest in any of it - I already own way too much stuff for someone my age - but I offered to help him any way I could since I have years of experience with both bulk purchases & parting out machines.
    As I told him all I can do is give him suggestions but bottom line how he handles things is entirely up to him. The main thing I can't emphasize enough to Pinsiders here is deals like this are no easy task. EVERYONE seems to want a piece of it and sadly it drives the buyer (OP) INSANE. I have had it happen to me so often I don't even post when I make a deal anymore. People just take all the fun out of it by not leaving seller along for a minute so they can step back and process things. Everyone wants to have "first shot" at the stuff so people just keep pushing & pushing trying to "justify" why they are the ones that should be getting the stuff.
    Give the OP some time to figure it all out. Once he does there will be plenty for everyone.
    Enough said!

Why did you quote me? I won't comment further, as the op and myself have agreed to keep our conversation private.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

Why did you quote me? I won't comment further, as the op and myself have agreed to keep our conversation private.

I quoted you because several times since the OP put this post up you talked about wanting to buy stuff in bulk. You are not the only one that did that but you were the most recent so I just basically replied to your most recent post.

Unless you have experienced what it is like being on the receiving end of dozens of people trying to push you in one direction or another when you post something like this you don't have a clue how stressful it can be.

OP arrived home with a truck full and put up a post before he even had a chance to unload and look at what they bought and all of a sudden dozens of people are emailing him talking about what they want. Not thinking about what is best for the seller, not thinking about anyone else, just thinking about what they want to happen. That is exactly why I stopped posting when I fell into bulk purchases. I got sick of being hounded by a bunch of people before I even had a chance to process exactly what just happened.

These deals take a lot of work - it takes time to figure out how to do the best thing for the pinball community - how to get a reasonable return on your investment - and what path makes the most sense to go down. It isn't easy and once someone has experienced it 95% of the time they would never want to do it again.

I have no interest in any of the stuff but I am interested in helping people in the hobby and the best way I can help OP is by trying to explain why it is in their best interest to step back and think things over for a few days before they take any action. This is just my opinion - I don't claim to be perfect - but I have been through this process several times and I know what to do and what not to do by this point.

#54 4 years ago

Guys, I appreciate the advice, and yes, I've been inundated with PMs asking for certain items. I'm okay with that, as I understand the excitement, especially if there is some elusive part or PF you've been after. I might do the same in an instance of exuberance, so I don't begrudge anyone for doing so.

Too Many has been very kind in discussing the pro's and con's of deals like these, and has been very helpful with his advice. It is true, that I am resistant to doing a bulk deal, for many reasons. Reason A) I don't even really know what I have, so how can I expect anyone else to know and make an offer that makes sense? I would feel badly if I sold a lot of pieces on a gamble, and it all turned to junk for the buyer. That would make me feel worse vs if there was some hidden nugget in there (like an EM EK PF) and they scored. I would actually be cool with that. Reason B) I don't want it to go to a hoarder or flipper, who is just going to turn around and sell it for a higher price, possibly pricing out someone in need of a part to restore a game. The intent of going through the trouble of purchasing and rescuing these playfields was to help the pinball community at large. These were stored and loaded onto my truck without even inspecting them. The first time I really saw them was unloading them from the truck. So I took a leap of faith myself that it would be worth saving these from the dumpster, and no, they weren't free. I had to pay for them, and rent a truck, and store them in my garage, and impose on friends to help unload, etc.

Yes, I have been in conversation with dc2010 about several things, including purchasing multiple items, but I have also emphasized that there are pieces that I have already semi-promised to people that would not be part of any multi-piece purchase. And I have also repeatedly emphasized, that any type of 'deal' would involve distributing the parts to those in need at fair prices. What I'm finding out from talking to Too Many and others via PM is that the value of the populated EM playfields, which is the bulk of this lot, lies primarily in the parts, not necessarily the boards. And to get that value is going to involve more work on my end that I'll have time to do, due to my work and family commitments. It's a process to determine the best course, and I'm sorry, being new at an operator buy out like this, I don't have all the right answers, and I'm sure I'll stumble along the way and end up pissing someone off.

But please, going forward, can we keep the back and forth between individuals to a minimum? In my naivete, the purpose of this thread was to get some insight on how best to process this purchase. I've read threads on game deals, but never playfields, so it was uncharted territory for me. But we've seemed to have drifted away from the purpose of the thread. I have no problem, people posting their opinion, and you can call me an idiot for mine. And feel free to call me an idiot for any decisions I make. But, respectfully, I don't think the back and forth between members is constructive.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-bulk-buy-best-way-to-value-sell-etc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.