By xbdrabbitx

10 months ago

Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by xbdrabbitx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6511 (resized).JPG
IMG_6508 (resized).JPG
IMG_6505 (resized).JPG

#1 10 months ago

I need some advice on doing my first playfield overlay. Its a baby pacman. should be easy, its so small. using a mylar overlay from phoenix arcade.
Im breaking down the playfield now, and pulling out the metal wire ball guides. one was already broken off in the playfield, and one more got broken when I took it out. I saw some posts on making new ones yourself and adding some glue to keep it in place. My question is more about what to do to the playfield to get ready to put that overlay down. I'm reading a couple different techniques, some seem pretty excessive imo.
I'm seeing the general census is to sand the whole playfield down to the wood and clean with naptha. When i do that, do I need to take all my rollover switches, and all the bulb sockets out, or could I just put tape inside there and vacuum and use compressed air to make sure they are clean afterwards?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I wish there was a specific go-to playfield restoration with mylar overlay walkthru for my game.

IMG_6505 (resized).JPG

IMG_6508 (resized).JPG

#2 10 months ago

Honestly, I wouldn't touch that playfield. That's one of the nicest baby pacman playfields I've seen--it doesn't any any of the typical wear that you normally see on this title. An overlay is going to be lesser than the original paint (you may see wrinkling, tearing, bubbling, etc. with an overlay). An overlay is generally a last resort for a worn playfield.

Clean it, wax it, and maybe put mylar on the outlanes, especially over the inserts.

#3 10 months ago

The paint isnt worn off, I agree, but looking more closely and you can see the wood is cracked and it kinda looks shitty. The person who owned this before me let it sit in a garage with no hvac for god knows how long. You still suggest leaving it be?

#4 10 months ago

take a look around the "fruits" inserts and up top where the fruit is painted.

IMG_6511 (resized).JPG

#5 10 months ago

unless thats just the old mylar that is cracked...

#6 10 months ago

I'm going to have to agree with Mr. ForceFlow on this one, OP. That playfield looks pretty dang good, in my opinion. I'd much rather have a slightly worn original than a flawless knockoff any day. Clean it, wax it, judiciously apply mylar to protect it, and call it a day.

But, it's your game, and you can do as you wish.

#7 10 months ago

Or.. Clean it, scuff it, touchup, clear coat.

#8 10 months ago

I also agree with Force Flow. Do not cover that playfield. It is actually in good shape.

I would clean it thoroughly, do some touch-ups with acrylic paint, have it professionally clear-coated and re-assemble it.

It will always look better this way, than with any overlay available. Overlays have a plasticky look and feel, lights never shine correctly through them and they quickly tarnish with the friction of the balls. I did a Flash Gordon overlay years ago and never really like the finished product. I sold it and would live with a less than perfect playfield, rather than any overlay.

Yves

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm going to have to agree with Mr. ForceFlow on this one, OP. That playfield looks pretty dang good, in my opinion. I'd much rather have a slightly worn original than a flawless knockoff any day. Clean it, wax it, judiciously apply mylar to protect it, and call it a day.
But, it's your game, and you can do as you wish.

I completely agree. That's just how 80% of 35 year old pinballs look. Get over it, put it back together, and play.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

ut looking more closely and you can see the wood is cracked and it kinda looks shitty

That's just the topcoat. Most older playfields have this to some degree.

If you really want to address that, you can remove the mylar using either the hot or cold method (but be prepared for paint loss), use the magic eraser & alcohol technique to carefully remove it, then either protect it with clear coat or mylar (clear coat would be preferable since it would hold up better than mylar would).

But honestly, unless you're going for a high-end restoration, just clean, wax, and apply mylar. Waxing before applying mylar will make it easier to remove later if you or someone else wants to go all-out on a full restoration at some point down the line.

#11 10 months ago

damn. I guess I'll put it back together. Gonna have to repair the wire forms now. I already purchased the mylar overlay but I guess I'll just hang on to it.

#12 10 months ago

Sir, you have beautiful example of this pretty rare game. Please just clean (and wax if prefer that) and play hard. Just keep new shiny balls in the game.

I would try to find beat up playfield and use that overlay on that one. Or just hang it in to the wall.

#13 10 months ago

Will Do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wien, WIEN
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6.35
Cabinet - Decals
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 325 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside