(Topic ID: 286028)

Playfield bows in the middle. How to fix?

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Onwallst
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

209 (resized).JPG
    226 (resized).JPG
    5227773F-467F-4E4D-BF2F-3B79D5899186 (resized).jpeg
    20210117_203222 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onwallst.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 3 years ago

People have laughed at me as I have seen this and really light planking many times on games. Both old and new. It depends on the environment of the game in its lifetime. I believe when stern installed it was correct. It warped after. If one has a high humidity house or really low humidity like we have in Colorado it happens. I have seen two months to two years. Storing in garage or storage space is the worst. No different than the sound board on a high end piano. Winter months are the worst. I did a high end steam humidifier trying to keep it constant all year long on my furnaces. Most humidifiers freeze if running with A/c. Many houses the humidity levels can be low single digits instead at times and in the summer the high humidity. 95 percent of time they warp low in the center. High in center usually low humidity newer in the games life. If you start putting a straight on games many will be discouraged. Just be careful on the Enviroment of the life of the game as it is a wood product. Wood burning stoves or fireplaces kill the humidity levels quickly. When you put kiln dryed wood floors in a new house the gold standard in dry climates is to put in new house and wait 6 months in that enviroment prior to install. Most skip the step as you can’t wait. I really try to only buy games from a dry climate anymore which I am. Even with a humidifier I am running it in the 34 per cent level but constant all year round. That is still low. A a/c unit removes humidity so in the summer I am flat also inside. Key is to avoid wide humidity movements. Warning don’t start measuring games or you will be disappointing.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

People have laughed at me as I have seen this and really light planking many times on games. Both old and new. It depends on the environment of the game in its lifetime. I believe when stern installed it was correct. It warped after. If one has a high humidity house or really low humidity like we have in Colorado it happens. I have seen two months to two years. Storing in garage or storage space is the worst. No different than the sound board on a high end piano. Winter months are the worst. I did a high end steam humidifier trying to keep it constant all year long on my furnaces. Most humidifiers freeze if running with A/c. Many houses the humidity levels can be low single digits instead at times and in the summer the high humidity. 95 percent of time they warp low in the center. High in center usually low humidity newer in the games life. If you start putting a straight on games many will be discouraged. Just be careful on the Enviroment of the life of the game as it is a wood product. Wood burning stoves or fireplaces kill the humidity levels quickly. When you put kiln dryed wood floors in a new house the gold standard in dry climates is to put in new house and wait 6 months in that enviroment prior to install. Most skip the step as you can’t wait. I really try to only buy games from a dry climate anymore which I am. Even with a humidifier I am running it in the 34 per cent level but constant all year round. That is still low. A a/c unit removes humidity so in the summer I am flat also inside. Key is to avoid wide humidity movements. Warning don’t start measuring your games as you will be disappointed.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

That's a terrific idea. One small problem: I bought it from someone second hand. Build date is march 2020, but I'm not the original buyer.

I wasn’t aware they were still building Star Trek in 2020. Interesting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onwallst.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-bows-in-the-middle-how-to-fix?tu=onwallst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.