• Latest reply 4 years ago by wolffcub
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190408_182338 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

How much bowing is too much on a new playfield? This is the first one I've ever purchased and I was surprised that it wasn't flat. At the maximum bow from top to bottom it's just over a quarter inch from a straight line.

Is this normal?

IMG_20190408_182338 (resized).jpgIMG_20190408_182338 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I have purchased 3 new playfield from two different vendors and all of them seem to be bowed slightly. My first playfield was The Shadow and I leaned it up against the wall for a month to let it cure and when I came to use it I had a good half inch bow in it. Yikes! But when you put the side rails on and the brackets underneath, the bow went away. I am about to do a swap with my funhouse and my original playfield is warped so bad that it measures 6.5 degrees at the top and 7.5 at the flippers. So the little bow that my new one has will be a huge improvement.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

How much bowing is too much on a new playfield? This is the first one I've ever purchased and I was surprised that it wasn't flat. At the maximum bow from top to bottom it's just over a quarter inch from a straight line.
Is this normal?
[quoted image]

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had playfields bowed worse than that and once everything is installed, they were fine.

#4 5 years ago

Okay, that's good to hear. This is a gift for my dad's beat up Whirlwind and I'm hoping that i'm getting off to a good start here.

#5 5 years ago

Agreed; On my Star Trek Mirror universe PF ; there was a lot of front to back bowing.
I "corrected" this by putting some solid aluminum ball guides on it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/5#post-1393131

1 month later
#6 4 years ago

I had left this in the garage in its box standing vertically. There's now no noticeable bow to it at all.

#7 4 years ago

If that's from who I think it is, trust me when I say, try putting a finger into a spot of clear coat out of the way and see if it leaves an indent. If it does, you "MUST" add a set of Cliffys to the cellar hole or it will chip out and disintegrate in ~ 6 months or less. Also, if that clear coat is soft .... be careful when you tighten the posts down onto the clear coat. The clear will likely create a "roll" by the post and you'll be blamed for "over tightening". Also, as a precautionary I suggest you take a tape measure and measure the distance on left side of playfield to a hole of your choosing and then measure from right side to a hold of your choosing and compare them between playfields. And take a drill bit and stick it in the holes pre drilled for the side rails and ensure they aren't drilled crooked. I don't want anyone to go through what I just did.

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

My Lectronamo was so bad after taking off the side rails I tossed it and it came right back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-bowing?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.