• Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

doos waterpas (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a question about the angle for an EM machine playfield.

What is the most common angle used in the early days in the pinball bussiness's, i do know it is ofcourse also personally preferences but what is a good angle to start with

#2 6 years ago

Gottlieb's recommendation is the pathetically wimpy 3 1/2°.

#3 6 years ago

is it considered blasphemes to angle EMs at 6.5 like modern games? Wonder how that would feel during play...

#4 6 years ago

I crank mine right up. 3" in back, all the way up.

#5 6 years ago

It's not considered correct for EMs but I've gone to using three inch levelers on the back legs. Two inch levelers cranked all the way up and the game still seems floaty.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's not considered correct for EMs but I've gone to using three inch levelers on the back legs. Two inch levelers cranked all the way up and the game still seems floaty.

I do the very same. I like my EMs to have some snap to them. I don't even buy 2 inch levelers anymore.

---

OP, I think you'll find that most around here consider playfield angles more of a personal preference than anything else. Adjust them to what you like. No harm, no foul.

#7 6 years ago

Hi Klokkie
many (?) manuals advice as a starting point: The lower line from the player towards the Backbox --- the long side of the cabinet shall be horizontal --- see here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2253&picno=41023 from left to right I see a horizontal line. This works fine because the manufacturers have an built-in angle --- see it in the picture (also left to right - up in the picture). I have an "bubble level / water level" - I move it upwards onto the lower end of the cabinet - in the ipdb-picture You could see my "water level" on the bottom of the picture.

A general rule - when You kick a ball upwards with the flipperbats: The ball must securely reach the top of the playfield.
Then ther is "personal taste" - the steeper - the less average time a ball is in play before beeing lost. Greetings Rolf

#8 6 years ago

3" back fully extended
2" front cranked in all the way
Then level it

Really though its your game and do what makes it fun to play.
If you don't like the angle you wont play it.
Whats the fun in that?

#9 6 years ago

What Rolf is telling is what i did. I did level the bottom of the cabinet horizontal and use a box leveler (see picture ) to get i right in all directions but i never found a real number by manufacturers as advise to the pinball game rooms back in the 60's.

Ofcourse it is and stays personal taste.

doos waterpas (resized).jpgdoos waterpas (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Hi Klokkie
the manual to my Gottlieb 1971 Orbit says: Adjust leg levelers so that the playboard has desired pitch and is level to the horizontal axis. The same in the "Gottlieb Far Out" Manual.
And the manual to "Gottlieb Surf Champ" has the same and has also: The factory recommended pitch of 3-1/2 degrees is obtained by having all leg adjusters set at the same height.

Therefore Gottlieb recommends the bottom of the cabinet to be horizontal. Greetings Rolf

#11 6 years ago

Thank you Rolf. I will use the 3,5 degrees as mentioned by you and see how it goes. I do have only Williams machines and 1 Bally and think the 3,5 degrees would be working as well.

Greetings Hans

#12 6 years ago

Hi Hans
You show a good tool in post-9. A thing that can happen is: You buy a "new" EM-Pin - You put it together and it plays --- but the playfield is "much too steep". You toggle-off the pin and adjust the leg levelers to "nice" - You plug-in and want to start a game --- all You have is "Pin is in Tilt".
A good article here http://www.stevechannel.com/tiltmechanism.htm - the last picture shows on the upper part: Ball Roll Tilt. When the Ball rolls "to the right in the picture": The Ball Roll Tilt is active. We then must loosen the screws and adjust this goodie so the ball does NOT roll towards right (then tighten the screws again).
This goodie is from the arcade rooms times --- an operator adjusted the playfield STEEP --- and players tried to cheat - lifting the front of the pin and put some plywood or cardbord under the legs to make the playfield "not so steep". And because of the Ball Roll Tilt: The players could not cheat. Greetings Rolf

#13 6 years ago

Oh man I’m glad I found this thread. I moved my pins around and now I have my old Travel Time flanked by two newer Stern pins and the playfield deck looks flat as a pancake next to the others. I thought something was terribly wrong. I guess not.

#14 6 years ago

However it plays best is the only correct answer.. if you like floaty balls then follow the GOTTLIEB recommendations.
Personally, I jack the back up so the play has some snap to it.. no point being able to make a cup of tea while waiting for the ball to reach the slings

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

Did some testing the last few weeks with angles on the playfields and did use the comments from Rolf to get a good angle, also the Gottlieb angle of 3,5 degrees was used and the conclusion ( for me personally ) is that 3,5 to 3,8 degrees works best to get a reactive game amd plays best for me with action on the game.

Klokkie

#16 6 years ago

I can add the following... after a mechanical restoration I find my games are more enjoyable set as steep as I can get them. I have found that if the game is not restored it is often the case they are near unplayable this steep because the mechs are girmy and contacts gummed up and nothing has any snap to it.

Not sure where your at on the game but you may find yourself playing with angle depending on what you have/may do to the game in terms of a restoration.

#17 6 years ago

Hello Rufessor, I have a few machines which i am restoring and the A-Go-Go is the one with the most done so far. I have to work on the backglass restoration the rest was done so then i leave it till i have time to continue on the cabinet. The machine play's good and i have put this one on 3,6 degrees and that is for me personally a good angle. The GrandPrix has only a cleaned playfield and i did put this one on 3,8 degrees what i found a good solution ( also personal feeling ofcourse ) . My feeling is that the younger the machine the more angle it prefer to get more action.

#18 6 years ago

I have my Gottlieb woodrails around 4.2 degrees.

3.5 degrees would be too floaty.

I bet the operators didn't put their games out on location at 3.5 degrees!

1 week later
#19 6 years ago

Well, I tried screwing the back levelers all the way up, and the front ones all the way down. Still too shallow. Didn't seem to play right.

I saw a trick mentioned in another thread to take the front levelers off, remove the nut and screw the leveler back in without the bottom nut. That may have gotten me a few extra tenths of a degree, but still come up short. So, I decided to try taking the front leg levelers completely off. I ended up at 5.5 degrees, and IMO, the game now plays perfect. BTW, there were no lateral leveling issues with this as it turned out. Even if there was, it would have been pretty easy to shim either leg.

The bottom line seems to be that there is no right or wrong. Just adjust the machine to how you want it to play. I just did a flipper and pop bumper rebuild, so the game was playing way too fast and strong for the weak 3-3.5 degrees it was at.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

I saw a trick mentioned in another thread to take the front levelers off, remove the nut and screw the leveler back in without the bottom nut.

That's a great idea! And you can put 3 inch levelers on the back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-angle-for-em-machines?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.