Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dothedoo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I’ve got a Bally Eight Ball Champ machine I’ve owned for a several weeks. It came from a private collector that bought it to repair/play and he did some updates (new rubber, off-board AA battery, rebuilt shooter mechanism, and updated bulbs with LEDs around the perimeter of the table (most lamps are still original). It had a gentle 3 hour drive back to my town. After getting it down to the basement on dolly initially had an issue with a 7 light blink instead of 8 on MPU at startup. Didn’t work (powered up and saw lots of lights, but didn’t fully boot). I reconnected all the plugs on MPU and the power board. Worked for bit, then again did 7 light blink startup again 20 minutes later when powered off to run some tests and program. Fiddled with everything wire related again and made sure all the fuses were seated and problem went away and I’ve run all the tests and been working fine ever since. The 7 blinks is related to lamp control.

http://pinrepair.com/6803
7th flash - U8 (6821) test for lamp phasing logic test 'B' phase of CPU controlled lamps. Fuse F5 on power supply provides the phase B signal to the CPU board for U8 (6821), U12 (4584).

I’ve enjoyed playing it but have noticed an issue - not one I really see when I play, but when others play - a flickering of the lights (all lights) anytime a flipper is pressed. I haven’t pointed out to others playing and they haven’t commented on it but now that I've noticed it, well you know how that goes.

So while I’m NOT getting stuck on 7th flash anymore it has me wondering if related to the problem having. The play field and score board BOTH flicker when flippers are pressed. The left side is a single flipper, the right side has two as this game has a second upper flipper. The left flipper generates a very smaller fast dim - the right is more noticeable - which I assume is due to two coils drawing more current than a single one.

There are a couple of “weird things” about the pin I’ve noticed looking more carefully:

- The extra flipper is using Gottlieb A-17875 coil instead of the proper one. The gauge on that is not as thick and about the same winding count so if anything drawing less power. Seems like a hack, but probably not the problem?
- The right main flipper has AQ-25-500 34/4500 Bally Coil, however it has what looks like a second EOS switch with wires going to the 3rd flipper (I guess to engage it after coil hits EOS) but it’s bent on purpose and touching so always engaged. I think just means both right flippers are engaging at exact same time - not sure about that, seems bad idea - but I’m a total n00b.
- The left flipper is quality coil 1668, 34/4500. Seems ok.

All the coils are old and worn looking. previous owner didn’t replace the coil sleeves. Once in a while the right flipper hesitates and buzzes a bit when held. I looked at all the lamps to make sure none of them had been bent back and touching any other play field items.

This is my first pin, so everything is new to me. From researching there are a lot of potential reasons for lights flickering so looking for any pointers or advice given information above where to start. If you tell me it’s normal I’m good with that, not looking to do a repair right away if can avoid it.

#2 3 years ago

I’d say the flickering is pretty normal. Most pins I’ve played do this, especially older ones.

If it’s very original you could look at getting the power supply board rebuilt. The electrolytic capacitors tend to lose their effectiveness over time and replacing them is pretty easy to do, and not too expensive to have a pro do if you’re not comfortable doing board work yourself. Search on here, I’ve had great service from coin op cauldron but there’s quite a few shops to choose for board service.

The flipper buzzing is pretty normal, but hesitation is annoying. Double check the end of stroke switch is being opened or closed when the flipper actuates (some flipper mechs have normally open switches, some have normally closed). Replacing coil sleeves is easy. In fact rebuilding flippers is pretty easy. Look on here for vids guide. Rebuilding your flippers is the single best thing you can do to make your machine play awesome in my opinion. I’d recommend you do that. It’s the first thing I do when I get a new pin, unless the last guy did it recently.

My best advice though is: if it’s working well otherwise, play the damn thing and have fun

#3 3 years ago

I would gap the EOS switch that is bent closed. That would reduce the current draw and should make the lamp flickering less noticeable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-and-glass-lamp-flicker-when-flipper-engaged?hl=bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.