Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3904 (resized).JPG
IMG_3903 (resized).JPG
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3901 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am currently in the process of restoring a Gottlieb central park that has quite a bit of wear at the top of the playfield. This is the first time I have completed such a project and have studied a lot of the threads on here (including Vids), which have been very informative.
I have a couple of questions specifically relating to the play field I am working on and have posted pictures.
Firstly the areas around the top two pop numbers have been worn down to bare wood. The top layer of wood (dark areas in pics) here feels spongy to touch, almost as if it has been damp at one point and lifted. Would repainting and spraying with clear seal this, or do I need to take another course of action?
Secondly, the shooter lane has been chewed up pretty bad and a light groove has been worn all the way the top of the playfield, would I be best of filling this or sanding it out?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

IMG_3901 (resized).JPGIMG_3901 (resized).JPG

IMG_3902 (resized).JPGIMG_3902 (resized).JPG

IMG_3903 (resized).JPGIMG_3903 (resized).JPG

IMG_3904 (resized).JPGIMG_3904 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#2 6 years ago

Just saw this and saw no replies. How did you address these issues? Any further progress on the game?

#3 6 years ago

Best course of action (IMHO) would be to clear coat it first then paint. The clear will seal the wood and give a flatter surface.

#4 6 years ago

If you are going to repaint and clearcoat I would not bother deep cleaning or sanding any of the wood that is going to be repainted, such as around the pop bumpers.

The shooter lane can be sanded out with sandpaper wrapped around a suitable diameter rod.

The ball arch at the top is more of an issue, lightly sanding may work or alternatively you could try Oxalic acid but this can be tricky as it introduces moisture to the playfield.

#5 6 years ago

I did end up posting this on vids guide and got a response. We sanded the ball groove which improved it greatly. We also put filler in the worn pop bumper areas as they had sunk slightly in comparison to the rest of the playfield. A coat of clear is due followed by some touch up work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-advice-1?hl=moonbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.