Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Never seen a compiled list of pins that people consider player's pin or shooter's pin, games that require planning, aiming, and either controlling the ball or using the flow. Let's mention those and discuss it. Maybe there are hidden gems that are not getting attention because of theme or something.

I'm talking about games like Flash Gordon, Fathom, Twilight Zone, White Water, The Shadow, Bram Stoker's Dracula etc...

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Never seen a compiled list of pins that people consider player's pin or shooter's pin, games that require planning, aiming, and either controlling the ball or using the flow. Let's mention those and discuss it. Maybe there are hidden gems that are not getting attention because of theme or something.
I'm talking about games like Flash Gordon, Fathom, Twilight Zone, White Water, The Shadow, Bram Stoker's Dracula etc...

If a player's pin = aiming + (control or flow) + planning then other games would only require flailing. I'd say that a player's pin also needs to be particularly unforgiving of mistakes, i.e. brutal. Given this, I wouldn't classify WH20 or TZ as player's pins. Would add IM and probably Metallica to the list though.

#3 9 years ago

To a certain extent ALL machines require planning, aiming and ball control i feel. Out of the 5 machines i currently own i would say STTNG is the one that stands out in this category. JD for all it's fun and speed is probably more in the flailing area (especially playing the Super Game option), BOP doesn't have a huge amount of shots to make (don't get me wrong, i still LOVE it), The Getaway is probably closer to STTNG than the others with RFM just behind it.

#4 9 years ago

well, both WH2O and TZ don't score jacks*t if you don't shoot for things needed at that time. For any kind of score, you need to plan and execute. Also both are somewhat brutal, WH2O on lower playfield, TZ on any lateral kind of ball motion. I see people refering to them as player's games and I conclude it is for these reasons.

on the other hand simple rules, simple layout game like LW3 is a flailing game.

I'd like to see discussion about 80s and 90s games, not newer sterns, many of those new are player's games especially with Lyman and Keith rules.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

To a certain extent ALL machines require planning, aiming and ball control i feel. Out of the 5 machines i currently own i would say STTNG is the one that stands out in this category. JD for all it's fun and speed is probably more in the flailing area (especially playing the Super Game option), BOP doesn't have a huge amount of shots to make (don't get me wrong, i still LOVE it), The Getaway is probably closer to STTNG than the others with RFM just behind it.

Getaway is fast, but I only see it as a batting game, not many things to shoot, especially not time critical shots or decisions. STTNG yeah.

addams is also for everyone, but IMHO much more a player's game than it's clones like JP. Then again, Tommy is a player's game, multiple strategies, evil slings, many specific modes, stacking.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

I see people refering to them as player's games and I conclude it is for these reasons.

I've never heard "players game" used this way - that term is usually used to describe condition, meaning aesthetically poor but well playing.

2 months later
#7 9 years ago

Have to disagree about JD being flailing. There is really not much to be gained by just smacking balls around in that game. I've seen most people try the game do that, and not much happens for them. To play the game well requires that you hit the crime scenes to get extra balls, and to hit the small loop which takes a lot of practice and skill to get the timing right. When the only crime scene left is on the small loop a person just flailing at balls is very unlikely to ever get it and reset the crime scenes. The game is all about racking up crime scenes and if you can't hit all those shots consistently you are going nowhere.

You can smack the balls around in any game, especially one with big multiballs, but to get big scores and long games requires a lot of skill in JD. I definitely agree with Dracula, Twilight Zone, and The Shadow.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

Eh?
-mof

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

games that require planning, aiming, and either controlling the ball or using the flow. Let's mention those and discuss it.

Wouldn't it be easier to discuss those that don't?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/players-pins-in-80s-and-90s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.