(Topic ID: 173678)

Players Opinion: '74 Strato-Flite vs. '69 Target Pool?

By twoplays25c

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7 (resized).jpg
TP-midPF-c (resized).jpg
TP-upperPF-c (resized).jpg
TP-fullPF-c (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Currently we have space for just one more (ya right, we know, LOL).
I found a great deal on a WMS Strato-Flite 4p EM that I'm pretty close on, but I just heard of a '69 wedgehead, a GTB Target Pool that may come available (and which may sway my decision).

For those who have played both, any thoughts on longevity in a home collection?
Does Strato-Flite hold the interest? Does the TP hold your interest, once you get all the targets?
(Oh yeah: I'm trying NOT to let space issues dictate my decision, but the TP would fit much better than the S-F).
I'm leaning toward the Target Pool - but any thoughts are appreciated, as I've played neither previously.
Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

My god...not in even in the same conversation.

Stratoflight is a terrible "luck box" game with a truly awful design. It's basically a big rectangle you bang the ball around in...it's a raqueteball court. You really don't aim, you just defend and hope.

Target Pool is a masterpiece.

The no-brainer of all no brainers.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My god...not in even in the same conversation.
Stratoflight is a terrible "luck box" game with a truly awful design. It's basically a big rectangle you bang the ball around in...it's a raqueteball court. You really don't aim, you just defend and hope.
Target Pool is a masterpiece.
The no-brainer of all no brainers.

Thanks, Levi.
I've had the itch for a WMS 4p EM for sometime again, and it just showed up closeby at a steal of a price.
The TP I just heard about, so I may swing my decision.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Thanks, Levi.
I've had the itch for a WMS 4p EM for sometime again, and it just showed up closeby at a steal of a price.
The TP I just heard about, so I may swing my decision.

If the price is right buy both (tm) but we all know that isn't always possible. One or the other would be a real shame to pass on a Target Pool.

The itch can be scratched with a better Williams 4-player and most of them are cheap (I don't know how great a deal that Strato is but it better be close to free to pass on a target pool)

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the price is right buy both (tm) but we all know that isn't always possible. One or the other would be a real shame to pass on a Target Pool.
The itch can be scratched with a better Williams 4-player and most of them are cheap (I don't know how great a deal that Strato is but it better be close to free to pass on a target pool)

LOL, always, Right!
The Target Pool is 4x the price of the Strato-Flite - but it's not just the cost, it's longevity and fun factor as I want something that can keep me entertained for quite some time.

#6 7 years ago

4X's the price? I just bought one from Expo for my dad like a 2 years ago and it was only $500. The Stratoflight only $100?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

4X's the price? I just bought one from Expo for my dad like a 2 years ago and it was only $500. The Stratoflight only $100?

Roughly that ratio.
The TP is fully restored, etc. - the S-F is 'as is' non-working in a homeowners' basement ("Up a steep hill, but it's not THAT steep, well maybe").
Love it, LOL.

Playability/fun factor thoughts?

#8 7 years ago

I love both games. I disagree on Strato/Super Flite being a luck fest. That game is all about geometry. And while at first I thought it was boring, I now consider it to be a player. I own one and love it. I'd also love to have a Target Pool. I'd figure out a way to get both and have one at the office/with a friend if space is your only limiting factor.

Enjoy!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I love both games. I disagree on Strato/Super Flite being a luck fest. That game is all about geometry. And while at first I thought it was boring, I now consider it to be a player. I own one and love it. I'd also love to have a Target Pool. I'd figure out a way to get both and have one at the office/with a friend if space is your only limiting factor.
Enjoy!

I'll admit my experience is rather limited on this game (a couple times at Pinburgh) but seriously, Target Pool is an absolute classic, one of the very best wedgeheads. I LOVE short flipper games with inlanes and there are very few of them. It's got so many things to shoot at and moves you around the playfield, and like another classic Dimension has the kicker upstairs to nudge targets with. In fact it has a lot in common with Dimension which is one of the reasons I love it.

Strato Flight is just another williams four player. There's plenty better, and regardless it's an easy title to find. But it is a four player - so if that's what the OP wants obviously he should get it instead of the TP.

Target Pool is RARE, and not only is it a great game it's the add-a-ball version which makes it even better for home use.

if the OP passes on this game I'd consider buying it (depending on price of course) and I would appreciate him PMing me the info. I seriously need some TP for my bunghole.

Curious, you want to tell us the actual prices of both machines? I'd figure a basement strato flight at $200 and a nice shopped TP at $800-1000?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

for $600 for the pair. Get both.

He said "roughly that ratio." No way on god's green earth are both of those games $600 for the pair. Probably more like $1,000-1,200

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll admit my experience is rather limited on this game (a couple times at Pinburgh) but seriously, Target Pool is an absolute classic, one of the very best wedgeheads. I LOVE short flipper games with inlanes and there are very few of them. It's got so many things to shoot at and moves you around the playfield, and like another classic Dimension has the kicker upstairs to nudge targets with. In fact it has a lot in common with Dimension which is one of the reasons I love it.
Strato Flight is just another williams four player. There's plenty better, and regardless it's an easy title to find. But it is a four player - so if that's what the OP wants obviously he should get it instead of the TP.
Target Pool is RARE, and not only is it a great game it's the add-a-ball version which makes it even better for home use.
if the OP passes on this game I'd consider buying it (depending on price of course) and I would appreciate him PMing me the info. I seriously need some TP for my bunghole.
Curious, you want to tell us the actual prices of both machines? I'd figure a basement strato flight at $200 and a nice shopped TP at $800-1000?

The TP is a full restoration, repainted cab with nice webbing, not just shopped, just FYI. Higher than $1K. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, they are appreciated.

#13 7 years ago

If anyone wondered after the feedback on my question, the choice has been made: Target Pool it is.

TP-fullPF-c (resized).jpgTP-fullPF-c (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

holy shit the colors are vibrant in that. My dads doesn't seem that vibrant.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

holy shit the colors are vibrant in that. My dads doesn't seem that vibrant.

Some better pics. Thanks, that's a big part of what sold it.

TP-upperPF-c (resized).jpgTP-upperPF-c (resized).jpg

TP-midPF-c (resized).jpgTP-midPF-c (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

That game is a frikkin' museum piece. Nice SCORE!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hi Levi - FYI, I re-directed my secondary search to a GTB Jet Spin, I passed on the Strato-Flite. Thanks for the feedback

#19 7 years ago

The Target Pool looks awesome twoplays25c! I live in the same area as you and also saw the ad for the Strato Flite. May I ask you a question? I am looking to get my first table and was somewhat interested in the S-F. The owner told me the only thing wrong with it was that the ball wouldn't fire over to the shooter lane. After reading your description of it I was a little nervous that there were more problems than that. Does that match with your impression of this machine? Should I just save my money and wait for another first table opportunity? Thanks for any feedback on this table you may kindly provide. Much appreciated.

#20 7 years ago

Owned a Target Pool. Fun game. Proper set up and it's a challenge. That's in great shape.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from cwaters1:

The Target Pool looks awesome twoplays25c! I live in the same area as you and also saw the ad for the Strato Flite. May I ask you a question? I am looking to get my first table and was somewhat interested in the S-F. The owner told me the only thing wrong with it was that the ball wouldn't fire over to the shooter lane. After reading your description of it I was a little nervous that there were more problems than that. Does that match with your impression of this machine? Should I just save my money and wait for another first table opportunity? Thanks for any feedback on this table you may kindly provide. Much appreciated.

I believe maybe it was Levi who called it a 'square shooter box, or some such.
The more I looked at gameplay on YouTube, etc., while it was a 4P EM, which I was looking for, it didn't seem to be for me.

I exchanged alot of emails with that seller, and found them to be genuine, nice and accomodating. I really think that it's issue, and they weren't not pinball folks. Just stopped playing, and it sounded like a coil issue to me, or a wire off somewhere.

Also, as funny as it may sound, that extra 2" between this and a 70s GTB 4-player EM, makes the difference for me - I have a room corner on one end, and an entry door on the other. When they verified that width, I had to pass.

Thus, today, I'm getting a GTB Jet Spin, at 28" wide, LOL. Fun game to me, and it FITS my space.

if you're in my area, we should talk. I'd enjoy us talking pins, and perhaps getting together.
I'll drop you a PM, thanks for the message!

T.

#22 7 years ago

I own a CQ Strato-Flite that was either HUO or HUO after being on route or public for about a year, and I LOVE this game and have actually played a few games on it last night and this morning!

It is a fantastic game. My game has the original flipper assemblies and never have I seen flippers working so well. The layout is great and is a quick one, that's for sure. I love the objective of the game, and the game is beautiful cosmetically as well. Put that together with targets that reset every ball and allow for 4-player multiplayer fun (some games are duds to where I doubt 4 people would even want to play, this is NOT the case on this game!) and great friendly competition. If I were doing a friendly tournament or even a "serious" one I would definitely do it on this game and my example of it particularly. I would also definitely recommend this game to first-time guests and first-time pinball players (or just beginners) that come over to try out first out of all 24 of my games. Easy to learn, difficult to master!

To those who called Strato-Flite a luck box: Look at the playfield layout on Target Pool... you can't make any of the 12 necessary shots on the top of the playfield from the flippers either. You'd need it to bounce around up there and get lucky with some nudging the same exact way you would with Strato-Flite. No doubt it is a classic as well but this should not discredit Strato-Flite. I would not trade mine for a nice Target Pool. Hell, even on Strato-Flite you can make most of the shots from the flippers besides two of the B and C targets - so in that department, it's actually much less than Target Pool itself.

Looks like you got a beautifully restored Target Pool! Congratulations! How's it play?

Here is a picture from when I had just started moving my games from my cold garage into my basement gameroom, it was the first one in and I had just picked it up and it was too nice - I refused to keep it in the cold garage! Thus began the basement gameroom which now holds all my pinball machines.

0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7 (resized).jpg0266deaf1eddc3a45660f7f5abb99816f7b8fee7 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I own a CQ Strato-Flite that was either HUO or HUO after being on route or public for about a year, and I LOVE this game and have actually played a few games on it last night and this morning!
It is a fantastic game.

Looks like I started a debate of sorts about S-F, good

Otaku, yes, I noticed you had one some time back when you posted some pics. Nice to see your perspective, and I appreciate your comments. I'm more a WMS guy but am working nowadays to get into some older GTB titles. The Target Pool will arrive in a week or so, after I get some work things off the deck. The S-F was just a tad too wide for the only spot I had open for another game

BTW, thanks VERY much for the time and effort you put in, to bring several of your titles to the York Show recently.
I enjoyed playing them thoroughly, you're yet another great guy in this hobby!

#24 7 years ago

strato flite blows, it is one of the worse games from that era. target pool is a classic.
who ever thinks that every shot has to be made from the flippers is a real noobie. the bounce is the key to the upper targets, not very easy to do. TP is a great game that is hard to find in great shape. SF are not that hard to find, nobody that has a real collection wants one for very long.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from single_player:

strato flite blows, it is one of the worse games from that era. target pool is a classic.
who ever thinks that every shot has to be made from the flippers is a real noobie. the bounce is the key to the upper targets, not very easy to do. TP is a great game that is hard to find in great shape. SF are not that hard to find, nobody that has a real collection wants one for very long.

I do! And I have a real collection! (Especially if you like wedgeheads, so no, it's not just shitty-to-you Williams multiplayers )

Only reason I said about the bounce shots was because somebody claimed you need bounce shots to make the shots on Strato-Flite (... just like Target Pool ...) and that it was somehow bad - it was just a little too ironic not to point out!

Strato-Flite is definitely one of my favorites in my collection. Williams also seemed to have great build quality around then too, after getting it up and running I haven't had many issues with it. Plays and runs like a champ.

This hobby is a lot more fun with an open mind - but I don't even think most need that to enjoy this game. (perhaps Jubilee/Darling, though)

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I do! And I have a real collection! (Especially if you like wedgeheads, so no, it's not just shitty-to-you Williams multiplayers )
Only reason I said about the bounce shots was because somebody claimed you need bounce shots to make the shots on Strato-Flite (... just like Target Pool ...) and that it was somehow bad - it was just a little too ironic not to point out!
Strato-Flite is definitely one of my favorites in my collection. Williams also seemed to have great build quality around then too, after getting it up and running I haven't had many issues with it. Plays and runs like a champ.
This hobby is a lot more fun with an open mind - but I don't even think most need that to enjoy this game. (perhaps Jubilee/Darling, though)

10-4 on the build quality back then, Otaku. I had a 1977 WMS Big Deal between 1983-2005, that was virtually indestructible and no service issues. None. I'd love to find another just like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/players-opinion-74-strato-flite-vs-69-target-pool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.