Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20181205_165034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181205_165136 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181203_192758 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181204-140104 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I recently acquired a Mars Trek (2nd pin, first EM) and it has an odd issue. When I hit start, the "3-player" spot on the backglass lights up, and pulsates. After a few seconds it switches to "2-player", which pulsates. After a few seconds it switches to "1-player", pulsating, then solidly lit. At this point I can mostly play a game (scoring might be a little wonky, but 1 issue at a time here). I can hit start again to switch to "2-player" (no pulsating, just solid), or 3 player. I can mostly play a 3-player game with no issue.

If I hit start once, and the "3-player" lights up, and I hit start again, it will go straight to "4-player", solidly lit. Typically, if I go that route, it will play through players 1-3 normally, then it will give infinite ball 1's to player 4.

After combing through the machine, I see 2 wires that are disconnected. The first is in the backbox - some yellow wires that should be attached to a switch on a scoring reel, which came loose. I'll be resoldering those tonight. The 2nd is a grey wire (looks aftermarket) attached to the switches on the white plastic wheel inside the cabinet. I don't really know where this should go. Also not sure if it's related to my current issues.

Obviously I'm still learning, but any help would be appreciated

IMG_20181203_192758 (resized).jpgIMG_20181203_192758 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181204-140104 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181204-140104 (resized).png
#2 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

The 2nd is a grey wire (looks aftermarket) attached to the switches on the white plastic wheel inside the cabinet. I don't really know where this should go. Also not sure if it's related to my current issues.

That goes to the score motor. Does it have a tracer on it? And which cam does it seem to go to? Check the schematic to track down what it does. https://www.ipdb.org/files/1550/Sonic_1977_Mars_Trek_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#3 5 years ago

You'll have to excuse my ignorance - what is a wire tracer?

I will try to figure out how to read my schematic, but it may take a while. Thanks!

#4 5 years ago

It means flecks of another color, ie-B-Y means Black wire with bits of yellow. Look at the top of your top pic here and there is a yellow wire with blue or black tracer.

#5 5 years ago

Ah. No, unfortunately not. Almost all of the wires in this pin have fabric sheathing. This one doesn't. From what I can tell, it just runs back and forth across the top of the switches on the score motor.

I'm reading through the stickied posts here, maybe I'll be able to figure out the schematics at some point.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what would cause the game to slowly drift from a 3-player game to a 1-player game.

#6 5 years ago

Did you check the Coin Unit? (p.13 of the manual) Take a look at Clay's guide first: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

and farther down there is info on reading schematics

#7 5 years ago

I haven't. I will take a look tonight! I'm still reading through the "basic to not-so-basic" sticky on this forum. It's fascinating.

#8 5 years ago

Took a look at my coin unit. It has clearly broken in half and been glued back together. I don't really see why that would cause any issues, though. All the arms seem to be in contact with their respective points. Any thoughts?

IMG_20181205_165034 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_165034 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_165136 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_165136 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Some of the arms seemed to be "between" contacts. I bent those a bit to make better contact, and gave a very light sanding to the contacts with some fine grit sandpaper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/players-issue-with-mars-trek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.