(Topic ID: 186053)

Player Unit not Resetting to Player 1 Ball 1 (Gottlieb Hot Shot, 1973)

By GeoMoon

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gblaz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Hot-Shot-Work-02 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all,

I am nearing completion of the resurrection of my 1973 Gottlieb Hot Shot from the dead, but I am stumped on this one problem.

1) Turn on machine, with credits already existing on the credit wheel.
2) Press start button, scores reset, and most all appears to be normal, except Ball in Play 1 is not lit.
3) I play the phantom ball, and all appears normal with the score incrementing on Player 1.
4) When the ball drains the machine preps the next ball, and Ball in Play 1 is lit.
5) Gameplay continues normally.

I find that if I manually advance the Player Unit by four clicks after Step 2 above, all is well.

I have a schematic, but this part of the circuit falls directly on the centermost fold line, and is unreadable. I have also worked through the following, but "The "SB" relay resets the player unit through the score motor." seems to not be happening, and that is where I am looking for some direction.

1960s & 1970s Gottlieb Start-Up Sequence.
Games with score reels.
Inserting a coin or pressing the coin door start button (Gottlieb calls this the "replay" button) activates the "S" (start) relay. The start relay will lock on from its own switch and a score motor switch.
The "S" relay will energize the main hold relay to illuminate the game (if this is the first game after power-on).
The "S" relay will start the score motor running.
The "S" relay and the score motor increment the total play meter.
The "SB" relay (the secondary start relay) is activated through the score motor. The "SB" relay energizes the reset relays ("Z1" and "Z2"). If a single or two player game, there may be only a "Z" relay.
The "Z2" relay will reset the player 3 and 4 score reels to zero through the score relays (4 player games only). The "Z1" or "Z" relay will reset the player 1 (and player 2 if present) score reels to zero through the score relays.
The "SB" relay resets the player unit through the score motor.
The "U" relay resets the reset bank (or Ax, Bx, relays on 1975 and later multi-player games and Ax on single players) through the score motor. It also resets the bonus unit or drop target banks (if the game has these).
On multi-player games, inserting more coins or pressing the coin door start button activates the "PBx" relay, through the score motor. The "x" represents the player number (from two to four).
If the ball is in the outhole, the "O" relay activates. The "O" relay, through the score motor and a switch on relay "XB", will kick the ball to the shooter lane. Note: the "O" relay will not activate unless the bonus unit (if the game has one) is reset to zero (there is a bonus unit zero position switch).
When the ball re-enters the outhole after game play, the "P" relay kicks the ball back to the shooter lane. Switches on the "XB", "ZB", "P" relays and some score motor switches advances the player unit (if present) and player relays ("PBx"). to occur normally.

Best,
George Moon

#2 7 years ago

George -

Check to make sure the wipers on the player unit are lined up correctly and the switches behind the unit are working. It sounds like a limit switch and the wipers are out of sync. If memory is correct, the unit should ratchet back to the "zero" rivets, and then increment to the player/ball 1 rivet when serving the ball.

Hopefully, others can be of better help.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks BillC,

Good starting point, and I have checked for them. The pins are lined up spot-on, and the switches appear clean and correctly gapped.

I need to determine:

1) What is the Player Unit's 'Home Position'?
2) How does it determine that it is at the 'Home Position'?
2) Assuming that Player 1 Ball 1 is not the 'Home Position', what are the specific steps that the unit takes to get there?

From there I can determine which steps are not being taken.

Thanks!
George

#4 7 years ago

Hi George
Yes, the Player-Unit has an Home-Position. The pin starts "beeing some steps before Home-Position" - doing the reset-stuff the pin steps and steps and steps - does reset players 3 and 4 - steps - resets players-1 and 2 - steps and reaches Home-Position, kicks the ball out to the shooter-alley and is ready for player-1 to launch ball-1. The player-1 does launch the ball and plays (pin still is in Home-Position) - then looses the ball, bonus is counted down and when the pin steps to next ball: Now the pin steps the Player-Unit further - no more being in Home Position.

Here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtlb-spirit-of-76-startup-problem#post-3401318 bobnatlanta shows his Player-Unit. I took the picture and added a drawing - see the bottom-picture in post-14. Read post-14 and go to the "chibler webpage". Stand behind Your Player-Unit and look towards the player - loook along the axis - see the black wheel-5 --- when the single notch / tooth on wheel-5 actuates its switch-stack: Home-Position.

Want to check / write about "After starting a new game the pin is (is one step before ? / two steps before ?) Home-Position ? Greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Hi George
is this the "unreadable part" of Your schematics ? Greetings Rolf

0Hot-Shot-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Hot-Shot-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Take a look inside the player unit. The manual will have the correct orientations for the white discs inside. If the unit has been disassembled by you (or a prior owner) and the disks ended up reassembled in the wrong order or wrong position you will get problems exactly like you are describing.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Good luck!

- Gblaz

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/player-unit-not-restting-to-player-1-ball-1-gottlieb-hot-shot-1973 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.