• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wms reset stepper.JPG
Wms reset stepper info.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have a dipsy doodle where the player stepper unit is not working properly. When you start a game, and subsequently press the start button to add players, that works fine. When the game finishes, and you start a new game, the unit doesn't reset all the way, just by one player. For example, if you finished a four player game, when you start the next game, it goes to 3 players not one.

Then for the next new game, from 3 players to 2. Then, it stays at 2 players for all future games unless I manually rest the stepper.

I am out of ideas since I checked the unit and it doesn't seem gummed up at all. Both the advance plunger and the rest plunger are clean and fast. Before I take apart the whole unit, I thought I'd ask for help here first.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

My guess is either the unit is gunked up even though it appears not to be, or the decrement (re-set) plunger isn't getting the signal to pulse every time.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When the game finishes, and you start a new game, the unit doesn't reset all the way,

Check that the return spring is adjusted enough?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Check that the return spring is adjusted enough?

Not sure how to do that. Can you explain?

#5 9 years ago

Wms reset stepper info.JPGWms reset stepper info.JPG

Here is the Williams info on them.
Assuming its not an electrical problem. And its not binding from being dirty.

Wms reset stepper.JPGWms reset stepper.JPG

The torsion spring attaches at two points,if you remove it at the index/reset pawl [easier way]you can wind another turn.
A small pair of vise-grips is perfect for holding the spring for that.

If that one turn is too much tension you can index the spring at the gear,which depending on where you set it will be under a full turn and less.

#6 9 years ago

Is this considered a difficult thing to fix?

I have a similar problem on 2 Williams machines right now and have not been able to figure it out on my own, but I am a newbie to this.

This description will be helpful in working through it, and I'll try it again before calling in the pros.

What document is this taken from, is there a Williams repair manual out there I am missing?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Here is the Williams info on them.
Assuming its not an electrical problem. And its not binding from being dirty.

Thank you so much for this. I will take a look at it tonight.

#9 9 years ago

I started with this, and checked everything it mentions. When I manually test the unit, it appears to be working properly.

#10 9 years ago

There is a switch on this stepper which is normally made, or broken, at the reset position by a pin on the toothed wheel. What can happen is that the pin gets on the wrong side of this switch. When this happens the game will continue to show signs of apparent proper operation with the slightest defect such as you are experiencing.

I recommend you inspect this position. If you find the pin is on the wrong side loosen up the switch mount and ratchet the toothed wheel and pin to the correct side of the switch.

I can't explain how the pin gets to the wrong side but have seen it multiple times.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I can't explain how the pin gets to the wrong side but have seen it multiple times.

Me neither, if you ever figure it out let me know. I see it fairly often

--Jeff

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

There is a switch on this stepper which is normally made, or broken, at the reset position by a pin on the toothed wheel. What can happen is that the pin gets on the wrong side of this switch. When this happens the game will continue to show signs of apparent proper operation with the slightest defect such as you are experiencing.
I recommend you inspect this position. If you find the pin is on the wrong side loosen up the switch mount and ratchet the toothed wheel and pin to the correct side of the switch.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Mike O.
Team-EM

Thanks. I will. I have been sidetracked with a new pin purchase and I blew an 8 amp fuse in the Dipsy that I cannot find anywhere but online. Can't wait that long haha.

#13 9 years ago

just one little thing, It called the coin unit. The player unit looks after who is playing, the coin unit is the number of player.

When you manually operate the reset coil, does it snap back or just turns back?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

just one little thing, It called the coin unit. The player unit looks after who is playing, the coin unit is the number of player.
When you manually operate the reset coil, does it snap back or just turns back?

Sorry for the confusion, still learning this stuff. Yes it just steps back on spot, doesn't snap back like my ball count unit does.

#15 9 years ago

Well there is the answer, it needs cleaning.
the speed that the reset coil fires, does not give much time for the return to zero of the ratchet. It should snap back, like the Ball count unit. Its not hard to clean, you do not need to un-solder anything.

Happy cleaning.

#16 9 years ago

IMHO all steppers should be rebuilt when shopping an old EM out. Saves a lot of trouble down the road & they are almost always suspect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/player-stepper-not-resetting-all-the-way and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.