(Topic ID: 39942)

Played WOZ today, hated it...and loved it!

By HugTheMouse

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Random thoughts after playing WOZ at Playdium today...
...there was no rules card on the machine so I had no clue what to aim for.
...this thing can be a drain monster, I had several games that were over in a little over a minute...wish there was a ball saved feature like Stern
...the bumper on the left drain is interesting but I wasn't sure of what happens when all 5 targets are hit
...in the games that lasted more than a minute, what fun
...I was taken back by the low scoring scale, weird to finish a 3 ball game with 4,000 points
...strange to control flipper on the upper left with right hand, and flipper at Dorothy's house on the right with the left hand
...there were a couple times that I wished that I was wearing sunglasses when the LED's were going wild
...felt shortchanged by not having match opportunity at games end...no match, no buy 2 get 3rd game free, fast drains---wonder how this will do on location? It certainly attracts attention.

Bottom line is that for those of you that have been waiting, I think that you wait will be worth it. The game is challenging, and I would love to have one in my home. The drains would be more tolerable if I wasn't having to pay a buck for every 3 balls. It really is a work of art.

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from HugTheMouse:

...wish there was a ball saved feature like Stern

...felt shortchanged by not having match opportunity at games end...no match, no buy 2 get 3rd game free,

Ball save isn't a company thing as much as designer. SR usually has long Ball saves & likes kickbacks, other side Lawlor not so much.

Hmm...wonder if the match is all software stuff wihch I'm sure isn't completed yet.

#3 11 years ago

I am sure there will be a match , awhile back in the WOZ google group Jack had everyone throw out ideas for matches

#4 11 years ago

I cant afford invisiglass so I am always wearing sunglasses when I play
Avengers

#5 11 years ago

The game isn't finished, so no sense reviewing the rules really...it is gorgeous for sure..I got to play it in Seattle for free..

Seems weird to be charging to play it at a distributor though, and when it's only a test game/prototype?...if Playdium is trying to sell them, just let people play it??

#6 11 years ago

I imagine things like ball save and match will be able to be turned on/off in settings. If I had a prototype of a much-anticipate game somewhere on location, I'd have it set really tight.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from HugTheMouse:

Random thoughts after playing WOZ at Playdium today...
...there was no rules card on the machine so I had no clue what to aim for.
...this thing can be a drain monster, I had several games that were over in a little over a minute...wish there was a ball saved feature like Stern
...the bumper on the left drain is interesting but I wasn't sure of what happens when all 5 targets are hit
...in the games that lasted more than a minute, what fun
...I was taken back by the low scoring scale, weird to finish a 3 ball game with 4,000 points
...strange to control flipper on the upper left with right hand, and flipper at Dorothy's house on the right with the left hand
...there were a couple times that I wished that I was wearing sunglasses when the LED's were going wild
...felt shortchanged by not having match opportunity at games end...no match, no buy 2 get 3rd game free, fast drains---wonder how this will do on location? It certainly attracts attention.
Bottom line is that for those of you that have been waiting, I think that you wait will be worth it. The game is challenging, and I would love to have one in my home. The drains would be more tolerable if I wasn't having to pay a buck for every 3 balls. It really is a work of art.

Looks like a few people out there think these machines are the finished product. Not surprising when they are charging coin to play it.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from HugTheMouse:

The drains would be more tolerable if I wasn't having to pay a buck for every 3 balls.

At least you had 3 balls. I only had 2.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Seems weird to be charging to play it at a distributor though, and when it's only a test game/prototype?...if Playdium is trying to sell them, just let people play it??

I was playing at the Playdium entertainment location (arcade)

#10 11 years ago

I pretty much hate and love every game I play.

#11 11 years ago

It is encouraging that people seem to like the game even with very incomplete rules, gameplay has always been my biggest concern about WOZ, after all it's the most subjective thing.

#12 11 years ago

I think the 3rd ball came with the latest code update. And yes...it really does not seem right to charge people to play a prototype game with unfinished code. But its nice to get a chance to play it as the code progresses. We sure do not get that option with any other game.

#13 11 years ago

Abel Electronics has the game here in St. Clair Shores and they do not charge for games. They just got the latest code installed however I have not been able to play it.

I am not concerned about scoring, the ball save, or a match at this point. I would like to see more of the inserts controlled, structured modes, magnet control, specific animations for the crystal ball, and especially the use of more of the already created music clips as I understand the "gouging of eyes" that has been mentioned before.

I hope I am wrong, but only see about 5% code progression since December with a total progression of around 30%. I really, really hope I am wrong because my family has never been as excited playing a pinball machine as they were playing WOZ at Abel. They won't stop bugging me about a delivery date!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ball save isn't a company thing as much as designer. SR usually has long Ball saves & likes kickbacks, other side Lawlor not so much.
Hmm...wonder if the match is all software stuff wihch I'm sure isn't completed yet.

Every lawlor game after Addams family has a ball save. So I'd say he likes it just fine. I hope this is a settings option that's just turned off or not yet implemented.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

They won't stop bugging me about a delivery date!

Mine too......

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every lawlor game after Addams Family has a ball save. So I'd say he likes it just fine. I hope this is a settings option that's just turned off or not yet implemented.

It's a point ball save not a timed ball save...which I think every game after a certain year has. We already talked aboot how yours is the only RBION that has one, so you've said. Newest softwaRE eliminated the ball save from earlier.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every lawlor game after Addams Family has a ball save. So I'd say he likes it just fine. I hope this is a settings option that's just turned off or not yet implemented.

Please tell me how to enable ball save on my TZ. Some days I sure could use it!

FYI: At '12 expo in Chicago Lawlor said he hates ball save. Said Williams forced designers to put them on their games after T2 was a hit (with ball save). Called it a corporate decision that he had to fight constantly.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Please tell me how to enable ball save on my TZ. Some days I sure could use it!

It's called "Free Ride" in the settings...Only after Roms 9.2 i think. You have to go and turn it on...otherwise just the first ball like it was designed for.

EDIT:
Added a new adjustment to allow ball savers beyond ball one.
FREE RIDE TIME (A.2 27) must be set to non-zero for this to
be enabled.

#19 11 years ago

Random answers...

* I doubt Ball Save is implemented in code yet. I'm 100% positive it will be.

* I don't think the State Fair bumper is coded yet either. I think the general idea is if you get all targets lit you either get a ball saved, or an opportunity to make a shot within a certain amount of time in order to continue playing.

* Although Keith feels that the direction of the flipper should reflect which button controls it, not what side of the playfield it's on, I believe he's said he'll allow this to be swapped in setup.

* Match has been discussed in the past, and will be added.

#20 11 years ago

Don't forget the toto feature (right outlane) that will allow a chance to save your ball as well

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Random answers...

* I don't think the State Fair bumper is coded yet either. I think the general idea is if you get all targets lit you either get a ball saved, or an opportunity to make a shot within a certain amount of time in order to continue playing.

It would be tough to get all 5 targets in a game...I drained 2 times tops through state fair and most targets hit was 4...definitely an interesting feature

* Although Keith feels that the direction of the flipper should reflect which button controls it, not what side of the playfield it's on, I believe he's said he'll allow this to be swapped in setup.

After about 10 games I became used to the flipper orientation...just felt strange at first...

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Don't forget the toto feature (right outlane) that will allow a chance to save your ball as well

There was nothing happening on that side yet...code to come perhaps?

The openings to the outlanes (noob learning the terminology...thanks) seem larger than average.

Post edited by HugTheMouse : Spelling

#23 11 years ago

I can't wait to play a WOZ with completed code.
I wonder how much effort JJP will make to keep updating the code once the game is delivered.

#24 11 years ago

From the few pics I've seen, the playfield looks fantastic!

Who in the Columbus area is buying one of these that wants to let me come play?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

I wonder how much effort JJP will make to keep updating the code once the game is delivered.

He stated on the forum that there will be constant updates to take advantage of the unlimited potential with the lighting, lcd and software........Keith and programmers won't have another pin to go to right away so they would keep working on updates....

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He stated on the forum that there will be constant updates to take advantage of the unlimited potential with the lighting, lcd and software........Keith and programmers won't have another pin to go to right away so they would keep working on updates....

they better start on TH when they are done, at this pace... They only have a little over a year if announced date stays on target,which I do forget: Is that a ship date, or production date, for next year 2014?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

From the few pics I've seen, the playfield looks fantastic!
Who in the Columbus area is buying one of these that wants to let me come play?

Go to the Ohio show, Feb 28th-Mar 2nd, supposed to be one there. (if no takers in columbus)

#28 11 years ago

Cool! I'm definitely planning on going for Saturday at least

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from HugTheMouse:

The drains would be more tolerable if I wasn't having to pay a buck for every 3 balls.

I'd drop 20 bucks into it in a heartbeat, just to really see the quality. I don't care about code yet because they are not even close to done. Heck, maybe a run to New York to play one soon...

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

they better start on TH when they are done, at this pace... They only have a little over a year if announced date stays on target,which I do forget: Is that a ship date, or production date, for next year 2014?

I'm glad that Jack realized that just one programmer (even Keith) can't work quickly enough to get a game done in time. There is so much more that has to be done with this game considering that all 4 parts of the LCD and all of the LEDs have to be programmed plus the new base code and the new complex rule set. I would think that this same issue won't come up on TH.

#31 11 years ago

I just played a couple of games on the one at Abel here in St. Clair Shores. Definitely some new stuff, but nothing earth shattering. It is on 3 ball now. Some new animations around the castle mode. More sound call outs, which by the way, were deemed as excellent by a couple of my co-employees who don't even play pinball. They thought that the voices were pretty darn close.

Looking forward to new updates.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

the flipper should reflect which button controls it, not what side of the playfield it's on, I believe he's said he'll allow this to be swapped in setup.

I agree with Keith on this. It would feel weird to me to control a flipper facing backwards like that.

#33 11 years ago

The flipper in the mini playfield seems very natural to me as well. The orientation makes total sense , if they were two flippers in each of the playfield it would be no difference ; so why change for one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/played-woz-today-hated-itand-loved-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.