• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ohmy.gif
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Pretty cool, nice work Stern! It reminded me a little of HS2 with a bit of updated AFM tossed in. A lot of different ramp and loop shots to be made with a particularly tricky ball lock shot at the far left--not easy. The shots off the upper right flipper were also challenging. I am not a big ST fan so the call outs went right by me, someone who is a fan will have to comment on that. I was not keen on the red DMD--that may be just me, others may like it. The speaker panel was pretty bland, but other than that--no real complaints--a very pretty game. Didn't get to play it long, but if you are a fan of Steve R, ST or fast flowing pinball, I believe you will like this one!

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the review!

#3 10 years ago

I do look forward to playing this on the 16th. Many people have witnessed my NERD RAGE about the Bevel & Emboss. Most of that rage comes from the fact I F***King love Star Trek. I watch at least 1 episode of Star Trek EVERY day lol So I have extremely high expectations. However, I am curious what my opinion will be after playing. If you want a "Trekkie" review I will post one after I play

"IF" for some illogical reason I like the game after playing. I guess I could make Mylar decals to replace/cover the flipper area hahahhahahahahah

Anyway, I am honestly looking forward to playing it, regardless of my previous emotions towards it. I do hope I enjoy it, "I want to like the pin".

Post edited by Jean-Luc-Picard : Made an "ILLOGICAL" typo lol

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I F***King love Star Trek and have extremely high expectations.

Make sure you wash your eyes out with soap first!

#5 10 years ago

I do look forward to playing this on the 16th. Many people have witnessed my NERD RAGE about the Bevel & Emboss. Most of that rage comes from the fact I F***King love Star Trek and have extremely high expectations. However, I am curious what my opinion will be after playing. If you want a "Trekkie" review I will post one after I play
"IF" for some un-logical reason I like the game after playing. I guess I could make Mylar decals to replace/cover the flipper area hahahhahahahahah
Anyway, I am looking forward to playing it, regardless of my previous emotions towards it.

The REAL Picard would never say "un-logical". Reveal yourself, imposter!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

The REAL Picard would never say "un-logical". Reveal yourself, imposter!

lol, Not sure why I typed that! I should have said "illogical". I don't believe "un-logical" is even a word. I must have had too much Klingon Blood Wine.

Quoted from iceman44:

Make sure you wash your eyes out with soap first!

Always cleanse your eyes before playing a new pin

#7 10 years ago

I'm looking forward to a real Trekkie review. It will be interesting to see if you all like it, but I am pretty sure any fan of Steve Ritchie games will enjoy this one.

#8 10 years ago

Anyway, I am honestly looking forward to playing it, regardless of my previous emotions towards it. I do hope I enjoy it, "I want to like the pin".

I can't imagine SR going backwards from Ac/Dc.....should be phenomenal in time....

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm looking forward to a real Trekkie review.

No such thing as a real "Trekkie". "Trekker" maybe, but "Trekkie" is what non-Trek fans call a Trek fan.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No such thing as a real "Trekkie". "Trekker" maybe, but "Trekkie" is what non-Trek fans call a Trek fan.

I think you can use either. George Takei recently called himself a "Trekkie". As well Trekkie sounds better.

#11 10 years ago

Trekker is unlogical, Captain. Doh!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Trekker is unlogical, Captain. Doh!

LOL, well turns out it is a word. Granted I assume it's slang and still considered incorrect.

un·logical adjective \"+\
Adj. 1. unlogical - lacking in correct logical relation
- illogical
- incoherent
- irrational

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It's Trekkie not Trekker. I should know, I have been a Trekkie for 47 years.
Gene Roddenberry once mentioned that the only word he acknowledged was Trekkie.
Trekkie - A devoted fan of the television series Star Trek or one of its spinoff series or films.
trekker - a traveler who makes a long arduous journey

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

Trekkie - A devoted fan of the television series Star Trek or one of its spinoff series or films.

I concur.

#15 10 years ago

I think you can use either. George Takei recently called himself a "Trekkie". As well Trekkie sounds better.

You can use anything you want; doesn't mean it's right.

And I wouldn't use Takei as a reference to Trek fans.

(My daughter and I on the bridge of "Enterprise")

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

Damn. You are correct; I was wrong.

<maxwellsmartmode>
Sorry about that, Chief
</maxwellsmartmode>

#17 10 years ago

And I wouldn't use Takei as a reference to Trek fans.

ohmy.gifohmy.gif

Quoted from jfh:

You can use anything you want; doesn't mean it's right.

No one uses, "Trekker" lol

#18 10 years ago

I got to play one today as we'll. Spent two different sessions on it, all amounted to a couple of hours. I will preface by saying was not wow'd with initial pictures, not a trek fan and really can't stand the theme.

The game is so much better looking in person. For those of you who thought Metallica art was an exception and not the rule. Think again. This could be a new trend as I can't really find any photoshopped disasters. The game is all LED but it appears the trek symbol inserts are the only color changing premium style. The red, white, and blue LED are only in the back board from what I can see. The trek inserts are irradescent and look like old school rainbow tape, pretty cool. The one above the warp ramp is the same as the ones in the field.

When you think Stern is cost cutting everywhere; they come up with a couple element you might find on a B/W game. It's simple but the stacked clear plastics with meteors screened on them gave a great three dimensional effect. Couple this with the purple nebula plastics on the backboard giving depth and further dimension where the warp ramp goes behind the back board. A far cry from the Kraken or Mick on a stick.

The Playfield plays much different to me than SM. It has some SM elements that would have you think knockoff, but the geometry is way different. Ramps are in different positions and the warp ramp felt nothing like venom. The left ramp plays like 24 with a very slight incline and a lot of forgiveness. The warp ramp plays like HS super charger if you can get the timing down and you game is set up just right. The only thing is the ball gets going so fast and comes out with soo much spin it is tricky to get more than 4 loops in secession. The center portion take on a Lawlor feel with the different banks of stand ups flanking long center shots. The upper right flip will gets its workout. Each target bank has a purpose and doesnt just fill a space. The red targets play like pirates ones part dueax. They can send balls back with a vengeance. Ha, get it?

The lock shot on the left plays like MB meet CftBL kiss lane. Not an easy shot with a lot of risk to it. This continues the trend of different shots other than targets lower down the field and closer to the flippers. Add in the extended left side orbit and there is a lot on top of you on the left side. If your shot is not accurate to the orbit, you better have lightning reflexes. Going in I thought why is everyone getting so excited about a flasher under a spinner. I have to admit. It is a very satisfying shot and it is the light show. The MB feel continues with the single standup just to the right of the center ship shot. From what I could tell this was a way to add more time to the modes. Not sure how to qualify it. The Spidey sense shot is closer to the flipper and the entrance is about a half an inch larger and more forgiving. I can hit this multiple times in a game and feel like I meant to hit it. SM I always felt this shot was more luck than anything.

The modes all appear to play slightly different but the initial impression was it was shoot all JPs. The meat and patatos is there but the fluff is still absent. The one nuance I did catch is one mode starts out with 3 shots lit and adds another if you don't hit one. If you hit one the lit shots reduce by one until all are out, ala Rosie on ACDC?. The two main MBs is Kilngon and Vengence. Klingon lites all enterprise arrows. I think they strobed, flashed, solid on out for all main shots. Vengence was capture ball on magnet, knock it off ala Doc Ock , hit the ship and have a coil underneath fire the ball back at you. Not like BBH or Avatar. That ball is shot back at you.

I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. This game is I will play it when I see it and possibly own one day. It was not a I must have it now. That is still a huge accomplishment seeing that the theme sux.

#19 10 years ago

Hey any Trekkies gonna be at Expo? Would love to interview you for Pinball Soul about your thoughts on the machine - I can't wait to play it myself.

#20 10 years ago

Nice review Duff.

#21 10 years ago

I played one today as well, but I only played 2 games. I played at a pizza/ sportsbar place, and I could not really hear the game. The ramps were fun; they reminded me a lot of spider-man. I really missed not being able to hear the game. I think this theme really requires the audio to really enjoy the theme. The ship looked kinda cool, but seeing it shake like a bobblehead was a little weird.

So far, not as much fun as STTNG, but I plan to go back to play it quite a bit. I liked the flow, so I am really hoping that everything else ends up being enjoyable as well. I felt about the same after a couple of games of Metallica as well, and 20 games later, I decided to add it to my wishlist. This may very well be the same situation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/played-the-new-star-trek-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.