Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cgz46
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150805_183037.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-03_at_9.43.26_AM.png

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Modern Pinball has a KISS Pro and I got a chance to hop on it for an hour today. Here are my impressions.

Good:
- the art is amazing
- the sound is incredible
- the shots are satisfying. Has nice flow and the ramps are easy to hit.
- genes big head is really cool. It's the focal point of the playfield and I think it works nicely.

Bad:
- factory settings = drain happy game. Especially the right outer lane, would just keep draining over and over. I'm never a fan of games that always seem to drain arbitrarily. But this can be fixed by moving the posts down.
- early code: duh right. But there just isn't much to do and the lack of callouts makes the experience right now very basic.
- Dmd animations are horrendous. Ok this was my biggsest gripe. The animations are horrible. Band imamges are blurry and hard to make out. Stern needs to innovate the screen. No more excuses. And I mean go beyond color Dmd. They need a real lcd back there with hd visuals. If GOT or Jurassic World doesn't get this I'm dumbfounded. Why design such a people work of art just to stick an ugly Dmd in it?

Overall I think this pin has great potential. I wouldn't go near one until the code is finished. It's like waching a movie before its done. Not sure why anyone would rush n and then wait for it to actually play well. Not that this plays bad, but like I said, just not much to do.

#2 4 years ago

Fair enough...how were the lights?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Fair enough...how were the lights?

Just my impression... There are two bare LEDs in the upper right that glare a LOT. So the first thing I'd do is swap them out. LED is fine, but not a bare cool white pointing at your face.

#4 4 years ago

I thought the lights were good. Much brighter and well lit playfield than the other sterns close by.

#5 4 years ago

I haven't played the game so obviously I will not make any comments other that when I watched videos there didn't seem to be many shots.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I haven't played the game so obviously I will not make any comments other that when I watched videos there didn't seem to be many shots.

There are 7 main shots plus 2 shots at far left and right for the stand up targets. Pretty standard.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Modern Pinball has a KISS Pro and I got a chance to hop on it for an hour today. Here are my impressions.
Good:
- the art is amazing
- the sound is incredible
- the shots are satisfying. Has nice flow and the ramps are easy to hit.
- genes big head is really cool. It's the focal point of the playfield and I think it works nicely.
Bad:
- factory settings = drain happy game. Especially the right outer lane, would just keep draining over and over. I'm never a fan of games that always seem to drain arbitrarily. But this can be fixed by moving the posts down.
- early code: duh right. But there just isn't much to do and the lack of callouts makes the experience right now very basic.
- Dmd animations are horrendous. Ok this was my biggsest gripe. The animations are horrible. Band imamges are blurry and hard to make out. Stern needs to innovate the screen. No more excuses. And I mean go beyond color Dmd. They need a real lcd back there with hd visuals. If GOT or Jurassic World doesn't get this I'm dumbfounded. Why design such a people work of art just to stick an ugly Dmd in it?
Overall I think this pin has great potential. I wouldn't go near one until the code is finished. It's like waching a movie before its done. Not sure why anyone would rush n and then wait for it to actually play well. Not that this plays bad, but like I said, just not much to do.

I played it a bunch at Pintastic and I thought it was pretty good. I actually agree with pretty much everything you say, except it being drain happy. We had some pretty good long games on the tournament machine at Pintastic anyway, but of course each machine is different.

The art package really is excellent, that's worth mentioning again.

#8 4 years ago

I didn't expect to like it, but played a dozen or so games at pintastic and really enjoyed the gameplay. I do, however, think the translite art is aweful.

#9 4 years ago

I was able to put about 20 games on one this weekend. I can say that I was extremely impressed with the layout and flow of the shots. I'm not huge into the sound/DMD animations, so don't have much to comment on that.

The code from a ruleset standpoint seemed to be a little further along than past Stern releases. Still a ways to go, but I enjoy the army hurry up and building that up. The modes were a little differentiated, but still would like to see more variety. Gene's mouth drain can be demoralizing, but it was safe probably 90% of the time. When you really get locked in and hit some shots, the flow is definitely there!

I see a high resemblance of Addams Family with this pin especially the left portion of the play field. Through the 4 pop bumber shot, scoop (i.e. chair shot), middle ramp (i.e. bear kick ramp), and star child area (i.e. thing ramp).

Seems like a lot of hits required to start Star Child multiball. Overall, excited to see this machine progress and hope the next code update is sooner than later.

#10 4 years ago

Man walks up to me the other day as I'm walking down the street minding my own business.
He looks me up and he looks me down and says "Hey Man, why do you this, and why do you that."
"Why d'ya look like that".
I just looked at him and I laughed and I said "Hey man, I am cool, I am the breeze".

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Man walks up to me the other day as I'm walking down the street minding my own business.
He looks me up and he looks me down and says "Hey Man, why do you this, and why do you that."
"Why d'ya look like that".
I just looked at him and I laughed and I said "Hey man, I am cool, I am the breeze".

The Willie Nelson thread is in the off topic section.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

The Willie Nelson thread is in the off topic section.

Haven't you heard? There's a new revolution!

#13 4 years ago

Gotta spread the word - too much confusion!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

They need a real lcd back there with hd visuals. If GOT or Jurassic World doesn't get this I'm dumbfounded. Why design such a people work of art just to stick an ugly Dmd in it?

If Stern were to do an LCD display, they'd need to make sure the game was 100% complete before sending it out. Can't imagine someone working on creating the video visual without completed code to work with. Would see this as much more time consuming than a DMD.

#15 4 years ago

I have played the game 3 different times for a hour at 3 different locations. I diffently see what people are taking about these balls leaving black marks on the playfield from the spinning disc. It is destroying games immediately. you could take it or leave it. I chose to leave it. i gave it a chance

#16 4 years ago

All Hell's Breaking Loose!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Haven't you heard? There's a new revolution!

"Gotta tell it to the people right now!"

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

All Hell's Breaking Loose!

Quoted from Methos:

"Gotta tell it to the people right now!"

hey, have you heard the news?

#19 4 years ago

You guys are cool. You are the breeze.

#20 4 years ago

I screwed that up. Should have been "Street hustler comes up to me one day....."

Well - I was going from memory. I used to think that song sucked - ....

Now I kinda like it.

#21 4 years ago

The new Kiss pin I have played a few times. Seems like alot of right down the middle drains out of Gene's mouth. Music has been redone..........should have left it alone and left off "Lick It Up". Other than that it was ok..........not running out for one........

#22 4 years ago

I've put about 100 games on the pro. Last update was great. Rules going in a good direction. This game has tons of potential. Good work Stern!

#23 4 years ago

Oh, and the latest TWD update was great as well. Stern is tearing it up! (OT, sorry)

#24 4 years ago

#25 4 years ago

It's hard not to love this pin. It just feels like a quality work of art. While it may not have as many bells (no pun) and whistles as ACDC, it feels a bit better designed. There's plenty to shoot for too.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It's hard not to love this pin. It just feels like a quality work of art. While it may not have as many bells (no pun) and whistles as ACDC, it feels a bit better designed. There's plenty to shoot for too.

It looks it. I got a nice ACDC Premium when it came out with the new mini playfield non clouded window. I was sort of surprised at the cheap ACDC 2D figures and if I ever have to hear Steve Ritchie do audio for another game I'm gonna PUKE. I would have kept the game if it wasn't for Ritchie doing the audio. I guess I am the only person that is annoyed with that. However, I just feel it's so cheap. The Metallica guys did their own voices and if it was the same with ACDC the machine would still be in my game room.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It looks it. I got a nice ACDC Premium when it came out with the new mini playfield non clouded window. I was sort of surprised at the cheap ACDC 2D figures and if I ever have to hear Steve Ritchie do audio for another game I'm gonna PUKE. I would have kept the game if it wasn't for Ritchie doing the audio. I guess I am the only person that is annoyed with that. However, I just feel it's so cheap. The Metallica guys did their own voices and if it was the same with ACDC the machine would still be in my game room.

I agree. ACDC has some cheap, stuck on art whereas kiss just feels much more cohesively designed. Thst being said, art aside, ACDC is an epic game, one of sterns best and you can't go wrong with either. I actually prefer ACDC songs 10x to those of Kiss.

#28 4 years ago

I haven't had enough time on Kiss to give a solid review, but I played it a few times at Comic Con. It shoots nice & I like the music. I actually like the DMD animation. A lot of silhouettes of the band rocking back and forth and things that seem to play well in monochrome. Gene always spit the ball out to the left flipper, so I didn't experience any STDM from the mouth...but sometimes it would come out of the spinning disc shot and go STDM. I feel like the spinning is a missed opportunity to do something else. The player doesn't see it & it doesn't really whip the ball like Tron so it loses its impact. It may as well not be there.

It's not on my "to buy" list, but I'd play it on location as long as the volume was up.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I actually like the DMD animation.

The thing that bugged me about the DMD was that the player one and player three score. The first couple digits when scoring in the ten million plus ranges are hidden by the colors of the DMD. I didn't know what the hell my score was half the time. Easy fix though for the code updates I'm sure.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I haven't had enough time on Kiss to give a solid review, but I played it a few times at Comic Con. It shoots nice & I like the music. I actually like the DMD animation. A lot of silhouettes of the band rocking back and forth and things that seem to play well in monochrome. Gene always spit the ball out to the left flipper, so I didn't experience any STDM from the mouth...but sometimes it would come out of the spinning disc shot and go STDM. I feel like the spinning is a missed opportunity to do something else. The player doesn't see it & it doesn't really whip the ball like Tron so it loses its impact. It may as well not be there.
It's not on my "to buy" list, but I'd play it on location as long as the volume was up.

I agree about the spinner. Ball just dribbles out and you really are just waiting for it and the exit is very anticlimactic. I feel like they had more planned but settled on this.

#31 4 years ago

I'm in no position to buy one just yet, but at the time of release it was instantly on my list to go in the line-up with my other music titles.

At the moment, it's a case of wait and see. Will play it first and then decide when I have the cash for the next machine. The Walking Dead has now caught my attention and am interested to see what Stern's next title is like.

Three more days until I get to play a KISS Pro!

#32 4 years ago

I thought we were talking about Willie Nelson.

#33 4 years ago

Good review, I hope to play it this weekend but gonna wait a year for code and reports.

#34 4 years ago

It just makes sense to wait for code. First year of a new stern game is just something to look at. Year 2 is when things get good.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It just makes sense to wait for code. First year of a new stern game is just something to look at. Year 2 is when things get good.

Wouldn't that apply to any pin manufacturer? Or did I miss a recent pin release with 100% completed code at launch?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Wouldn't that apply to any pin manufacturer? Or did I miss a recent pin release with 100% completed code at launch?

Most games other than modern stems shipped complete. Bug fixes and minor balancing were done via updates. Not major revisions and adding whole sections of game play rules.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

If Stern were to do an LCD display, they'd need to make sure the game was 100% complete before sending it out. Can't imagine someone working on creating the video visual without completed code to work with. Would see this as much more time consuming than a DMD.

They should just hold the game back then until it's in a state to be shipped. They can at least get their interface on the LCD and add animation updates later. JJP did that with WOZ.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from hlazzer:

Most games other than modern stems shipped complete. Bug fixes and minor balancing were done via updates. Not major revisions and adding whole sections of game play rules.

Are you talking about companies that no longer produce pinball machines? Or something more recent than when Clinton was in office.

#39 4 years ago

Edit...wrong topic

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It's more than something to look at...since the hardware isn't changing, you can enjoy the pin/layout while the rules ripen

I use to "get angry" when the rules were incomplete, but now it's clearly part of the Stern product cycle. The days of wondering if Stern is going to finish the code seem over. As long as the company is doing well, the risk of Stern not finishing the software is very low.

I ordered a Premium and expect it by the end of the month...I'm a sucker for rock-and-roll pins.

#41 4 years ago

I put a few games on the one at Pintastic. It was mediocre at best. Loops, ramps, and the giant head on the playfield, and that's about it. It was a very static playfield for the most part.

#42 4 years ago

How can the premiums be shipping at the end of month when the le,s are nowhere to be seen

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

How can the premiums be shipping at the end of month when the le,s are nowhere to be seen

I'm told the new Stern facility is capable of building LE's and Premium's at the same time. So I believe the LE's and Premium's will start shipping @ roughly the same time...

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm in the opposite camp, i love SR doing all the call outs on AcDc "Welcome to Hell".

But then maybe I'm just easy to please and I also like the voices on XM.

#45 4 years ago

The live video animations are absolutely horrible. Worst dots in a Stern game since... TF? SM? Cartoon style dots for the Kiss character action sequences would have looked great.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm told the new Stern facility is capable of building LE's and Premium's at the same time. So I believe the LE's and Premium's will start shipping @ roughly the same time...

Wrong. While it would be possible to build them at the same time, thats not how they have the line scheduled. LE's will be finished by the end of the month, and then they are going to start premium's. Right now there is a small delay due to a bad lot of power supplies and sd cards. They plan to start shipping LE's this week if they get the new parts in.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm in the opposite camp, i love SR doing all the call outs on AcDc "Welcome to Hell".
But then maybe I'm just easy to please and I also like the voices on XM.

Beyond that, I really love the use of crowd cheers and guitar riffs to signify mode and jackpot shots, rather than using call-outs. It greatly enhances the rock star vibe that you feel while playing AC/DC.

#48 4 years ago

Seems to me the past few games by Stern have been a ball drainer to left or right outlane. Not sure if having two drops on one side (like twilight zone) that feeds to flipper is reason instead of old way one on each end. Curious to know. Metallica can be this way too and Tron.

#49 4 years ago

Played a KISS Pro today and went in not being as pumped as I initially was when the first photos were released. The playfield layout and overall package kept me coming back for more.

The artwork on the Pro was all class. Playfield, translite and the band members on the cabinet looked cool. Great stuff.

Despite being in a room with the volume of other games, it sounded really good. I'm not a huge KISS fan and wasn't as excited about the soundtrack like I was with AC/DC and Metallica. I think this is the difference with the current new Stern game. I hyped myself silly with Metallica because I remember all the tracks from my high school days and there was some nostalgia attached to it. I don't feel the same for KISS, so the game is going to have to make up for that.

I think code will make or break this game. On the surface, there's not as many toys, but I liked all the different shots and nothing seemed easy about it. I could hit the middle ramp without issue, but I found myself having to aim precisely for the right ramp and a lot of times I hit it on the wrong angle and the ball rolled back. If there was a criticism, I couldn't see what was going on inside the spinning disk under Gene's head. Some other people have said that it was luck getting the ball into the Paul Stanley area, but I think it was achievable by aiming on the right flipper. Not as tough as the Gem shot on Tron.

Pleasant surprises: the color changing leds on the pop bumper caps. I was too busy trying to keep the ball alive to notice if there were more in the game. Other satisfying moment was actually getting multiball, then the replay animation.

Looking forward to playing KISS again and future code updates.

Cheers!
Adam.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Played a KISS Pro today and went in not being as pumped as I initially was when the first photos were released. The playfield layout and overall package kept me coming back for more.
The artwork on the Pro was all class. Playfield, translite and the band members on the cabinet looked cool. Great stuff.
Despite being in a room with the volume of other games, it sounded really good. I'm not a huge KISS fan and wasn't as excited about the soundtrack like I was with AC/DC and Metallica. I think this is the difference with the current new Stern game. I hyped myself silly with Metallica because I remember all the tracks from my high school days and there was some nostalgia attached to it. I don't feel the same for KISS, so the game is going to have to make up for that.
I think code will make or break this game. On the surface, there's not as many toys, but I liked all the different shots and nothing seemed easy about it. I could hit the middle ramp without issue, but I found myself having to aim precisely for the right ramp and a lot of times I hit it on the wrong angle and the ball rolled back. If there was a criticism, I couldn't see what was going on inside the spinning disk under Gene's head. Some other people have said that it was luck getting the ball into the Paul Stanley area, but I think it was achievable by aiming on the right flipper. Not as tough as the Gem shot on Tron.
Pleasant surprises: the color changing leds on the pop bumper caps. I was too busy trying to keep the ball alive to notice if there were more in the game. Other satisfying moment was actually getting multiball, then the replay animation.
Looking forward to playing KISS again and future code updates.
Cheers!
Adam.

Great review. I agree that some of the shots are hard, but that's how it should be. I think the one thing that may disappoint non-kiss fans is Gene's head. Like it's super cool looking and the main toy, but even though you kind of interact with it there's nothing satisfying about the shot. Wish they would have made him do more. Tongue wag or eyes light up. The spinner just dribbles the ball out. I prefer the magnet used in tWD and Metallica. Maybe the LE will have more wow stuff going on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside