(Topic ID: 324402)

Playboy Stern 2002 - Acting very strange?!

By HiRez00

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paul_8788
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3-both (resized).jpg
2-1-2-4 (resized).jpg
1-2-4 (resized).jpg
IMG_1243 (resized).jpg
IMG_1241 (resized).jpg
IMG_1242 (resized).jpg
IMG_1244 (resized).jpg
600px-WhiteStarDriverRevGDS1232Connection (resized).jpg
IMG_1204 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1205 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1203 (resized).jpg
IMG_1201 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello All,

After getting my latest purchase of a Stern 2002 Playboy all working perfect and cleaned up ... suddenly it is acting very odd and I don't know where to begin to figure out what is wrong with it.

After several months of perfect working order, all of a sudden on powering up - the DMD flashes the STERN screen as normal and the playfield lights light up, the DMD goes blank and the lights go out on the playfield and it just sits there.

The back row lights remain lit as does the backglass translite.

A couple times it screen flashes OPEN THE DOOR, and then goes dead again.

I have gone through all the connections in the backbox and the machine hasn't been moved, or anything since it was working perfectly.

Like I said, I have no idea where to look to start diagnosing the problem because the DMD and SERVICE options go blank.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Really want to get this game fixed because I was so please as to how well the whole thing cleaned and fixed up after I "rescued" it earlier this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

5 volts to power it up low or gone.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

5 volts to power it up low or gone.

How do I increase the 5v and where can I check it with a meter to know?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

How do I increase the 5v and where can I check it with a meter to know?

I doubt you can increase it. And I don't know if the big board has a 5 volt test point.

Hopefully someone with the game or that version of white star board set can help here.

#5 1 year ago

5 volts is adjustable on Whitestar games via pot R116 on driver board, but first you need to measure the voltages.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_5VDC_and_Game_Resets

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

5 volts is adjustable on Whitestar games via pot R116 on driver board, but first you need to measure the voltages.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_5VDC_and_Game_Resets

phishrace

That is a very interesting read, and describes the problem I have been having almost exactly.

Before I attempt anything, I am going to take photos of my boards and post them here so hopefully you can show me exactly where to check the 5vdc and also if I need to solder a jumper or wire - where would be the proper place to do so.

Will post the photos later today.

P.S. I love this website - (pinside) - It seems any problem anyone has, someone has had it before and knows how to fix it somehow.

Thank you.

#7 1 year ago

phishrace

See attached.

IMG_1200 (resized).jpegIMG_1200 (resized).jpegIMG_1201 (resized).jpegIMG_1201 (resized).jpegIMG_1203 (resized).jpgIMG_1203 (resized).jpgIMG_1204 (resized).jpegIMG_1204 (resized).jpegIMG_1205 (resized).jpegIMG_1205 (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago

As that info suggested I measured the voltage off the lower leg of resistor R114 and got a reading of +5.01 VDC - so the pan pot seems to be set correctly.

Because my board is Revision G - is the attached photo the best way to handle my issue?

600px-WhiteStarDriverRevGDS1232Connection (resized).jpg600px-WhiteStarDriverRevGDS1232Connection (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago

Now you need to measure the 5volts on the CPU board at the test point near the center of the board.

If it measures below 4.8volts, then you will need to repin at least one board connector, as I had to in a Whitestar game on Friday.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Now you need to measure the 5volts on the CPU board at the test point near the center of the board.
If it measures below 4.8volts, then you will need to repin at least one board connector, as I had to in a Whitestar game on Friday.

PinballManiac40

Where is a good place to measure the 5VDC voltage on the CPU board? And if it is below 4.8 volts, what pin has to be re-pinned?

Please advise.

#11 1 year ago

Chris Hibler gave some guidance on measuring 5v at this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-whitestar-5v

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

PinballManiac40
Where is a good place to measure the 5VDC voltage on the CPU board? And if it is below 4.8 volts, what pin has to be re-pinned?
Please advise.

at the test point near the center of the board.

Already stated it. Labeled on the board as +5 volts. Looks for wired loops that you can clip onto.

Take a picture of the middle of the board and zoom on the picture.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Chris Hibler gave some guidance on measuring 5v at this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-whitestar-5v

That only covers 5volts on the driver board, which OP already stated has a good 5.02 volts.

Every Whitestar game I worked on ends up having 4.7volts on the MPU because of larger loss of voltage than normal thru the power connectors causing either resets or boot up issues, depending on how low the 5 volts is on the MPU.

#14 1 year ago

That only covers 5volts on the driver board, which OP already stated has a good 5.02 volts.
Every Whitestar game I worked on ends up having 4.7volts on the MPU because of larger loss of voltage than normal thru the power connectors causing either resets or boot up issues, depending on how low the 5 volts is on the MPU.

My bad. I am on my phone on assignment and forgot Whitestar has a PDB and an MPU.

I'll keep looking!

#15 1 year ago

PinballManiac40

Ok. Here is where I am at.

5 minutes after I posted that last message - I found the 5VDC loop to test on.

Both boards are at 5.0 - 5.1 VDC volts.

I also soldered a jumper in the fashion stated in my previous posting between the resistor and the open slot.

I reset the main MPU board and it worked for 5 seconds and then resumed the same problem.

I also did what that thread suggested and powered of and removed the J16 connector and powered up and the playfield lit up as it should - but that was is. I powered off again and reconnected the J16 and had the same problem as before - game turns on -there is a click of a relay in the backbox, then everything shuts down on the playfield.

So as of right now - I am stuck and REALLY don't want to have to spend $500 on a new MPU or I/O board, but I'm currently stuck.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

PinballManiac40

I also did what that thread suggested and powered of and removed the J16 connector and powered up and the playfield lit up as it should - but that was is. I powered off again and reconnected the J16 and had the same problem as before - game turns on -there is a click of a relay in the backbox, then everything shuts down on the playfield.

Doesn't that point to an issue with the header pins or connector for J16? Have you repined the J16? The board can absolutely be repaired. Replacing it is like buying a new engine if you have a clogged fuel injector.

That being said, if you are not familiar/comfortable with soldiering and board repair, you might want to have an expert do it.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

5 minutes after I posted that last message - I found the 5VDC loop to test on.

Both boards are at 5.0 - 5.1 VDC volts

For now, it does not look like a voltage problem.

Quoted from HiRez00:

So as of right now - I am stuck and REALLY don't want to have to spend $500 on a new MPU or I/O board, but I'm currently stuck.

Can you post a picture of your MPU board? Definitely would like to see the right half of the board.

I would not suggest a new board, especially a Rottendog,anyway.unless there is a lot a battery corrosion. I would send them for repair.

#18 1 year ago

For now, it does not look like a voltage problem.

Can you post a picture of your MPU board? Definitely would like to see the right half of the board.
I would not suggest a new board, especially a Rottendog,anyway.unless there is a lot a battery corrosion. I would send them for repair.

kermit24 PinballManiac40 NPO

Here are pictures of th board removed from the cabinet - I didn't realize the leakage was so bad on the board it is is probably shorting something out. Like I said, I rescued this pin from the dead and an abusive owner. And when I got it - there were no batteries in it at all. It was a fairly dark area where the pinball has been sitting since I got it and it was hard to see how much leakage there was.

I have no problem with surface or through whole soldering - I have a good weller pro soldering station for microchip soldering. I don't know a lot about circuitry - but someone years ago asked me to learn soldering for mass manufacturing of prop controllers. Didn't know how they worked - but could solder microchips, resistors, and micro smd dmds in place ... funny huh.

I have a new battery holder that I can replace the scuzzed one with. What do you suggest I clean the board up with?

IMG_1241 (resized).jpgIMG_1241 (resized).jpgIMG_1242 (resized).jpgIMG_1242 (resized).jpgIMG_1243 (resized).jpgIMG_1243 (resized).jpgIMG_1244 (resized).jpgIMG_1244 (resized).jpg
#19 1 year ago

That is what I was afraid of. You need to remove all parts that were hit, sand the traces, treat the exposed copper traces with vinegar and clean with alcohol and then install new iC sockets and parts.

Get rid of the battery holder and install NVRAM in the board

It is going to be a lot of work.

#20 1 year ago

That is what I was afraid of. You need to remove all parts that were hit, sand the traces, treat the exposed copper traces with vinegar and clean with alcohol and then install new iC sockets and parts.
Get rid of the battery holder and install NVRAM in the board
It is going to be a lot of work.

This. You need to remove all the parts that are mounted where any corrosion is and arrest the corrosion, otherwise it will continue to propagate. Looks like it leaked all the way down to the DMD controller connector as well. Lots of work.

#21 1 year ago

If you plan to do the work, you are going to want a quality desoldering station to do it right. I am sure you are going to need to jumper some of those traces. Might want to send it off for repair.

#22 1 year ago

Basically, your board work will be very similar to this work done. https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/File:StarShipTroopersMPU.jpg

#23 1 year ago

Battery acid damage is insidious. You get it fixed and it crawls through the traces to cause further mischief.

Look to this thread for some comments on how the battery acid (alkaline) is addressed:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-slight-alkaline-damage-before-soldering#post-7165527

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Battery acid damage is insidious.

No, but battery alkali is.

Quoted from PinRetail:

battery acid (alkaline)

Can't be both, otherwise, it would offset itself and you would not have anything to clean up.

#25 1 year ago

I mean... it's a playboy. Have you tried giving it some coke?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from zenbone:

I mean... it's a playboy. Have you tried giving it some coke?

Playboy and Coke - now that funny.

Anyway - I ordered replacement sockets and replace anything and everything acid touch and re-soldered everything. I used vinegar and isopropal alcohol to clean EVERYTHING off first. Sanded down all the traces and followed them all under a powerful microscope and "thought' I got everything cleaned up well.

I installed the boards and although everything powered up - the game still sat there and wouldn't start the game.

Frustrated and aggrivated I decided to bite the bullet and buy new RottenDog CPU and I/O boards (because it might have been an IO issue all along). I figured I could sell off the original I/O and Whitestar board here n pinside to make up some of the difference - fully explaining in the sale what happened to the orginal boards.

So, I got the new Rottendog Boards in the mail from Pinball life - they came pretty quick. I updated the chips from 3.0 from the original board to 5.0 and moved over the other chips that are the same from 3.0 to 5.0. ... and installed both new boards.

The game started up right away and I THOUGHT I was out of the woods. Then I tried to play a game - and the RIGHT FLIPPER wouldn't respond / work. Everything else worked perfectly - just the RIGHT FLIPPER. So I checked cleaned the contact for the flipper. Still didn't work.

So, I opened the service menu and had it run a cycle of all coils - and the right and left flipper worked fine.

I then pressed the service/ credit button inside the coin door and not only did it fire the flipper - but it added a coin as well. Kind of hard to play pinball using the left flipper and then a button inside the coin door for the right flipper?!?!??!?!?! LOL!

I checked all the wiring harness from the flipper button all the way up to the boards and there are no hacks, crosses, or repairs.

So everything works - but the button for the flipper doesn't - unless you press the CREDIT button inside the coin door.

I am completely at a loss now and frustarted beyond belief that I am have SO much trouble with this ONE table / pinball even after replacing ALL the electronics in the backbox - due to ignorance and further frustration.

So - I ask - NOW what should I be looking for to remedy this. Where does the contacts for the flipper button (not the coil) connect in the backbox to make the coil fire?

BTW: I checked all the connectors, all the pins, all the rom legs to make sure they are seated properly and everything looks fine.

Please advise. And thank you in advance for any assistance offered.

Once I get this working (hopefully) - I will post the previous CPU and I/O and plasma DMD up on the for sale section at a low price if anyone is interested.

#27 1 year ago

Repaired originals > any Rottendog boards anyday.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

everything acid

Alkaline damage, not acid, as previously mentioned. Sounds like you still have some work to do on the board. I would not give up on it. Fixing things takes time. I'm sure you realized you did buy a project game. One thing you should look for is battery damage in any game you buy, especially older games.

Quoted from HiRez00:

The game started up right away and I THOUGHT I was out of the woods. Then I tried to play a game - and the RIGHT FLIPPER wouldn't respond / work. Everything else worked perfectly - just the RIGHT FLIPPER. So I checked cleaned the contact for the flipper. Still didn't work.

So, I opened the service menu and had it run a cycle of all coils - and the right and left flipper worked fine.

I then pressed the service/ credit button inside the coin door and not only did it fire the flipper - but it added a coin as well. Kind of hard to play pinball using the left flipper and then a button inside the coin door for the right flipper?!?!??!?!?! LOL!

I checked all the wiring harness from the flipper button all the way up to the boards and there are no hacks, crosses, or repairs.

So everything works - but the button for the flipper doesn't - unless you press the CREDIT button inside the coin door

Probably best to go into the Switch edge test and test out all the switches and look for switches that do not register and ones that register more than the single switch that you are testing. I think even if you move the flipper bat by hand, it should register the flipper EOS switches when you let them go back to resting position. Report all the switch errors you find. I'm hoping you will find there is a broken wire in a row or column that is related to the flipper button or EOS switch.

#29 1 year ago

Repaired originals > any Rottendog boards anyday.

PinballManiac40

Ok, here is where I am at.

At the advice of both Rotten dog and Pinball Life - I check ALL the connects on both boards for any pin miss-alignment. All was good. I removed all the chips I moved over from the previous board and checked all of them and re-seated them and checked under a 300x microscope to make sure each pin was seated properly in the sockets - all was good.

I traced the wires from both the right flipper and the CREDIT button inside the door and there were no breaks - crossovers or anything odd.

I ran the coil test and the flippers fired fine through the test.

I ran the diagnostic dedicated switch test and came up with something interesting....

The Left flipper worked just fine - as before.

The right flipper button didn't even register on the DMD chart when pressed.

When I pressed the CREDIT button in the door - the DMD registered BOTH the credit button and the RIGHT flipper - which is kind of insane to me.

See third picture I included.

What could possibly cause this? Now - RottenDog didn't have this board listed as working with the Playboy table, but Scott at Pinball Life and a tech at RottenDog says it WOULD work with this table. Originally I had rom set ver 3.0 installed in my order board set and I upgraded to 5.0 because I figured I would just update it at the same time. I wouldn't think that would have made a difference.

According to the Playboy Manual (https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Playboy_Manual.pdf) on page 102 connector CN6 is where the inputs from the buttons come in and the I/O board is what fires the coils.

So - since I am clueless as to why or how this is even possible or how to fix the present wiring issue ... is my best option to cut the wire that is currently connected to the right flipper and run a new wire up to pin 3 on the CN6 (removing the other wire that is currently there). That way the right flipper is solely connected to pin3 and the credit button is isolated to just pin 7?

Or is there something else I have overlooked?

1-2-4 (resized).jpg1-2-4 (resized).jpg2-1-2-4 (resized).jpg2-1-2-4 (resized).jpg3-both (resized).jpg3-both (resized).jpg
#30 1 year ago

I, as many others who repairs boards, do not really work on Rottendog boards. Two main reason are compatibility issues between games and initial failures.

I suggest you work with Pinball Life for support, as they supplied the boards to you.

I do not see need to rewire anything, as the game worked in the past before the original boards were battery damaged, especially if you can tell no one had disturbed the wiring from any previous repair.

#31 1 year ago

PinballManiac40

Didn't know you repaired boards - can you send me an PM / DM or whatever the private messaging is called here with a quote for repairing my old boards?

I am out of my depth at this point.

BTW: I Always thought RottenDog had a good reputation - perhaps I was wrong in that assessment.

#32 1 year ago

I do repair, but I mainly do on-site service the Houston area. I have limited free time, especially getting ready for the Houston Arcade Expo.

Try @chrishibler. Good work from him and he has repaired some of these boards in the past. Give him pictures of the current state of the board.

#33 1 year ago

Does the back of the new board look okay at CN6? Any bad solder bridging something somewhere?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playboy-stern-2002-acting-very-strange and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.