Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by Lovef2k
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

46F70AAA-04A4-43F6-B09C-114039F45DF7 (resized).jpeg
2EA159B7-9011-416C-97E4-D692710B4F4B (resized).jpeg
41FA56C3-C24A-4A3E-8147-11362529D69F (resized).jpeg
D820E781-5C49-4EA6-9BF5-A8CB0DE7A4E4 (resized).jpeg
478DA310-22AE-4810-8FE2-5338BF6AE79B (resized).jpeg
C4C7E9D5-CB63-41D4-BD4B-660C6F6DA07C (resized).jpeg
F8AAE4C2-1EF6-4134-9DA9-4ED2AC8CA7C2 (resized).jpeg
9FACE2E5-EB12-455A-9804-3F76B1B58981 (resized).jpeg
ACC3482F-4C39-4F1F-A4B6-DF470DBA0377 (resized).jpeg
F634DBE4-8BCE-4B22-94CF-12D818AC759C (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 67 days ago

I have a non working 1978 playboy. I replaced MPU , led, , solenoid board with new Alltek. I replaced power driver board. I have 6 coils not working 3 pop coils, drop target coil and both slings. They all have 43v . All switches are working. Any ideas what I can checks. I also put new connectors on power board. The flippers coils work and the side hole coil works.

#2 67 days ago

Is the right slingshot switch incorrectly activating the knocker in game?
Is the grotto kickback coil working?
By "side hole coil" do you mean outhole?

#3 67 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

There is a knocker. Not sure what you mean on right flipper switch?

#4 67 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Is the grotto kickback coil working?
By "side hole coil" do you mean outhole?

The grotto hole is working. The flippers are working, the ball eject is working. The 3 pop bumpers , the coil for drop targets and both slings are not working.

#5 67 days ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Not sure what you mean on right flipper switch?

I said right "slingshot" switch, not "flipper"
The fault you are describing partly says that one of the signals used to select which solenoid to activate is shorted to ground and if that was the case, when you play a game and activate the right slingshot switch, the knocker coil would activate instead of the slingshot coil.

When you go to solenoid test mode (press the little red button inside the coin door 3 times) do any coils activate at the wrong time with respect to the solenoid ID table for test mode in the manual?

2 weeks later
#6 52 days ago

When I go to test the only coils that activate are the coil that puts the ball in to the shooter lane,both flippers,and the Grotto coil. When the other coils that don’t work are supposed to activate I see a red light on Alltek board flash but no coil. All switches are working. Also knocker is not working in test.

#7 52 days ago

If you have not done any work on the plugs I would unplug and replug A3J5 a couple times and see if that changes anything. Start with the simple stuff. Sometimes its just the connector.

If you see no change, unplug the coin door and see if that makes a difference. Easy checks. Sometimes its a short in the coin door.

Shawn

#8 52 days ago

Do you measure 43 volts DC on the yellow power wire connected to the slingshot and pop bumper coils?

Does the knocker activate - is it connected or has it been removed? (it's in the cabinet lower right hand side) - details of the knocker are important because it might help point to a logic problem.

#9 52 days ago

Did you replace the MPU with an Alltek or just the LED on the original MPU? If the corresponding LED on the SBD is lighting up then I would think you have a connection issue. Since this game wasn't working when you got it, you don't know what other people have done to it and believe some people that shouldn't work on pins do and screw them up. Try following the wires from coil to coil. Look for bad solder connections on the coil lugs. Check for continuity on the common side of the coil to the other coils. Make sure none of the coils were wired backwards. This could break the flow of the daisy chain of the coil wiring.

The flippers are on a separate circuit and only work when the flipper relay is active(closed) and of course when the flipper buttons are pressed.

#10 51 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Do you measure 43 volts DC on the yellow power wire connected to the slingshot and pop bumper coils?
Does the knocker activate - is it connected or has it been removed? (it's in the cabinet lower right hand side) - details of the knocker are important because it might help point to a logic problem.

I have 43volts on yellow and the other wire also. Know doesn’t activate. Knock also has 43 volts.

#11 51 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Did you replace the MPU with an Alltek or just the LED on the original MPU? If the corresponding LED on the SBD is lighting up then I would think you have a connection issue. Since this game wasn't working when you got it, you don't know what other people have done to it and believe some people that shouldn't work on pins do and screw them up. Try following the wires from coil to coil. Look for bad solder connections on the coil lugs. Check for continuity on the common side of the coil to the other coils. Make sure none of the coils were wired backwards. This could break the flow of the daisy chain of the coil wiring.
The flippers are on a separate circuit and only work when the flipper relay is active(closed) and of course when the flipper buttons are pressed.

Yes I replaced all boards with Alltek. I checked all connections at coils.

#12 51 days ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If you have not done any work on the plugs I would unplug and replug A3J5 a couple times and see if that changes anything. Start with the simple stuff. Sometimes its just the connector.
If you see no change, unplug the coin door and see if that makes a difference. Easy checks. Sometimes its a short in the coin door.
Shawn

I tried with coin door unplugged and same thing.

#13 51 days ago

Also on the driver board. The red leds at the solenoid diagnostic leds . When I push 2 of the pop bumper switches a red led lights up the other pop switch doesn’t light a red led and both slings don’t light it ether.

image (resized).jpg
#14 51 days ago

Also in test the grotto goes on 2 times in a row.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#15 51 days ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Also in test the grotto goes on 2 times in a row.

At what solenoid test numbers does the Grotto activate?
If you can go to solenoid test mode and note down exactly which LED (or none) on the solenoid driver board blinks at each solenoid test number then we can map out what's going wrong. Having said that the issue is likely just connector related with the solenoid select signals at either J4 on the solenoid driver board or J4 at the MPU board. And to be honest you likely have two signals with bad connections. The LED to solenoid number list should expose which signals are having problems.

#16 51 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

At what solenoid test numbers does the Grotto activate?
If you can go to solenoid test mode and note down exactly which LED (or none) on the solenoid driver board blinks at each solenoid test number then we can map out what's going wrong. Having said that the issue is likely just connector related with the solenoid select signals at either J4 on the solenoid driver board or J4 at the MPU board. And to be honest you likely have two signals with bad connections. The LED to solenoid number list should expose which signals are having problems.

Q8 actives 2 times and grotto coil is activated both times.
And Q16 flashes 2 times with no coil working.
No other leds flash during this test.

#17 50 days ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Q8 actives 2 times and grotto coil is activated both times.

At which solenoid test numbers does it happen?

Quoted from tatman9999:

nd Q16 flashes 2 times with no coil working.

Again, which solenoid tests does it happen?

Please be very specific with the details. You are our eyes to this problem and I can't map what's going wrong otherwise.

#18 50 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Please be very specific with the details. You are our eyes to this problem and I can't map what's going wrong otherwise.

How do I know what number it is on? Thanks for all the help.

#19 50 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Thanks for all your help. I repinned j4 on MPU and driver and all is working. Now I need to find a backglass. I put the New CPR in there and it is dark and not as good as the original. Did a restore new playfield, new plastics, stencil the cabinet and clear coated it. Not happy with CPR backglass

#20 50 days ago

Original and cpr pics

ACC3482F-4C39-4F1F-A4B6-DF470DBA0377 (resized).jpegF634DBE4-8BCE-4B22-94CF-12D818AC759C (resized).jpeg
#21 50 days ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Thanks for all your help. I repinned j4 on MPU and driver and all is working.

Wow, she's a beauty! Glad you got it going.

BTW, to get to the game test modes you press the little red button inside the coin door.
First press starts the feature lamp test
Second press runs the display test
Third press runs the solenoid test
Fourth press runs the sound test
Fifth test runs the switch test
Sixth to eleventh presses goes through score level awards and game audits
It's listed in the manual

#22 50 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Wow, she's a beauty! Glad you got it going.
BTW, to get to the game test modes you press the little red button inside the coin door.
First press starts the feature lamp test
Second press runs the display test
Third press runs the solenoid test
Fourth press runs the sound test
Fifth test runs the switch test
Sixth to eleventh presses goes through score level awards and game audits
It's listed in the manual

Thanks I just did a playfield swap, I stenciled the cabinet and clear coated it.
Thanks for all your help

2EA159B7-9011-416C-97E4-D692710B4F4B (resized).jpeg41FA56C3-C24A-4A3E-8147-11362529D69F (resized).jpeg46F70AAA-04A4-43F6-B09C-114039F45DF7 (resized).jpeg478DA310-22AE-4810-8FE2-5338BF6AE79B (resized).jpeg9FACE2E5-EB12-455A-9804-3F76B1B58981 (resized).jpegC4C7E9D5-CB63-41D4-BD4B-660C6F6DA07C (resized).jpegD820E781-5C49-4EA6-9BF5-A8CB0DE7A4E4 (resized).jpegF8AAE4C2-1EF6-4134-9DA9-4ED2AC8CA7C2 (resized).jpeg
#23 48 days ago

Problem was fixed with replacing j4 connectors on both MPU and solenoid board.

#24 48 days ago

Nice job on the repaint!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.00
$ 21.00
7,500 (Firm)
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside