You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180103_162250 (resized).jpg
20180103_160612 (resized).jpg
20180103_160558 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

After a ton of time working on this machine, I am at a frustrated level...my mind is blown!! LOL. I am hoping some pinsiders with more ideas that I have run out of, can point me in the right direction. Here is my issues..

1) Basically, doing a switch test, when the ball in the trough 3, along with holding the right flipper button and the other ball in play - hitting the right pop bumper, causes a VUK switch reading. This causes the ball in trough 3 to then eject onto the shooting lane, ready for play while the other ball is busy still in play.
The same situation arises with similar combination - ball in trough 3, holding down left flipper button and center pop bumper - VUK reading and ball comes out onto shooting lane to play....at this point I am thinking it is something with the Rottendog MPU, as I have changed all of the diodes on these areas, based on the switch matrix video by TerryB. I am not sure where to go next other than trouble shoot that board..........ideas???

2) My right slingshot doesn't read in the switch test, either, but it works fine......curious how that can be...

3) Sound woes continue......

Loud buzz, gets louder as I turn up the volume knob - the sounds are all clear and loud, but the music is so faint in the background it needs to be turned all the way up to even know it's there at all....

I do the SINE test and the signals are there but no louder than the music - has to be turned up all the way to hear those, as well. Both ROM's sounds are clear as can be.

4) When Lazer kick is activated, the saying "get off the grass!!" no longer plays, but it used to.

So that's it. If anyone can help me with these issues that would be great......thank you and Happy New Years!! I have attached pics of the switch matrix, my notes, and my back box so you can see what boards I am using. Outside of the sound board, every other board is aftermarket.

20180103_160558 (resized).jpg20180103_160558 (resized).jpg

20180103_160612 (resized).jpg20180103_160612 (resized).jpg

20180103_162250 (resized).jpg20180103_162250 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Check all the diodes in column 2 and 6.
It can be another switch...

Slingshot is a special solenoid (SP5) with its own activation switch (at CN18-5) and seperate counting switch (22 in the switch matrix).
Check the switch under the playfield at the slingshot arm.

The sound board may have a bad pre-amplifier at 7B (MC3403).
All the sound from the YM3012 syntesiser are coming through this one.

Peter

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check all the diodes in column 2 and 6.
It can be another switch...
Slingshot is a special solenoid (SP5) with its own activation switch (at CN18-5) and seperate counting switch (22 in the switch matrix).
Check the switch under the playfield at the slingshot arm.
The sound board may have a bad pre-amplifier at 7B (MC3403).
All the sound from the YM3012 syntesiser are coming through this one.
Peter

Thank you for the input.....i have checked all the diodes on 2 and 6 before I made this thread (my bad for not mentioning it), removed and tested with multimeter...all read good. I couldn't find one bad diode.

MC3403C is the chip, are other MC3403 versions comparable as I cannot find the "C" version for sale anywhere...

I will tinker with the slingshot switch today to see if I can get it to show up on switch test.

Thank you again.

#4 6 years ago

I think the C stands for Ceramic.
Any other MC3403 should work.
For 50 cent a chip it would not hurt to try.

Use your multimeter on the switch itself.
Sometimes the diode is mounted wroung or a wire is in the wroung place.

1 month later
#5 6 years ago

Sound issue SOLVED.....

I purchased another board as a gamble, as it was listed as not known working, to see if it might solve the problem.... the board works great! Aftermarket speakers rock!!

My original board has issues.... guess I'll shelve it for now and tinker with it another time.

Now, back to that switch matrix issue....

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

For the switch matrix, and coil issues check grounding on TIP122 Transistors to see if any are bad. also check ICs 7408 and 7402 I had a fried 7402 on mine that was killing my TIP122s on the top right matrix and not energizing my special coils. I also had a dead TIP64c on the PBB board along with a blown 7amp valuable fuse on the power board. check all your fuses for solid continuity. if any of your TIP122s are bad make sure you replace the predriver transistors too. I used flipperwinkel dataeast repair guide to help me fix mine. Google will find it for you.

hope this helps you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playboy-35th-switch-matrix-and-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.