You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0796 (resized).jpg
IMG_0797 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hello all.

I picked up a Data East Playboy 35th Anniversary in nice shape. The single problem with it is the RIGHT SIDE under plastics, Bumpers and Slingshot lights (generic lighting) don't seem to work at all.

I first tried to replace all the bulbs ... that wasn't the problem.

Then I replaced the main power supply control board that sits in the upper left behind the backglass, the previous owner was kind enough to include it. Still no Joy.

I am very new at cleaning up and fixing pinballs, and I can't really afford to take it to a pinball service business ... so if someone can help me diagnose the problem so I can fix it myself, that would be great!

All other functions on the table work fine and the game plays great - it is just all the right and some center lights that are out and I don't know how to route the problem to fix it.

Please advise.

#2 2 years ago

Check connectors 8 and 9 on the power supply board to see that they aren't burnt. Same for connector 5 on the PPB board and the fuses on that board as four of them are for the general illumination.

If they are burnt up, then you need to replace the connector. Preferably by crimping pins to the wires, but some may choose to use original IDC which would require less time and money.

3 weeks later
#3 1 year ago

jpm-nwa

Quoted from jpm-nwa:

Check connectors 8 and 9 on the power supply board to see that they aren't burnt. Same for connector 5 on the PPB board and the fuses on that board as four of them are for the general illumination.
If they are burnt up, then you need to replace the connector. Preferably by crimping pins to the wires, but some may choose to use original IDC which would require less time and money.

Connector 9 on the power supply - see photo - was blackened and crusty so I replaced the connector - still no joy.

I think I forgot to mention that all lights on the "pinball' sign in between the speakers are all out as well. See photo.

Which is pin 5 on the PPB board? And I will also check the fuses you mentioned.

Thank you for helping me with this.
IMG_0796 (resized).jpgIMG_0796 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago

@jpm-nwa

You were absoloutely correct - pin 5 on the PPB board was also a little scorched. I removed the connector - cleaned it and replaced it and EVERYTHING fired up perfectly!

That you so much!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playboy-35th-data-east-right-side-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.