Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3132.JPG
    DSCN3131.JPG
    2013-06-28 00.41.25.jpg
    image-229.jpg
    image-276.jpg
    image-879.jpg
    P1010494.JPG
    P1010460.jpg
    DSCN3128.JPG
    DSCN3130.JPG
    image-632.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm curious what you all think regarding play meter count when you look at a potential EM pin purchase. For example, say everything functions properly and all mechanicals appear in good shape and the playfield and cabinet are decent, minimal planking, etc. Does the number of plays really matter that much?

#2 9 years ago

It might give you insight into its past maintenance. If it has a high number of plays, and yet looks great, it was well cared for. On the other hand, low play counts might be confusing as the meters sometimes failed during the many thousands of cycles. I would check the counter, but actual physical condition is more of a factor for assessing a game for me.

#3 9 years ago

To me it is an indicator but that's all! I once asked a used car dealer 'how many miles on it'-his reply 'how many would you like on it'. I think that sums it up!!

#4 9 years ago

I don't care what the meter reads. Half the time they don't even work. If they do, I'm not sure if it had 32,854 plays or 132,854. Either way, if it looks nice and plays great, doesn't really matter at that point.

#5 9 years ago

Just like the score reels, it can be rolled over and over again. But it does give me a special feeling when the machine still has one.

#6 9 years ago

So what is the highest number anyone has seen?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

So what is the highest number anyone has seen?

It depends on how many digits the play meter has. I have one with only four. So the highest that one goes is 9999. But we are a long way from that!

#8 9 years ago

Yeah, I mean total play meters with six digits...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

Yeah, I mean total play meters with six digits...

Six eh? Well most of mine have five. But I will let you know when I see one get to 99999.

#10 9 years ago

Hmmmm.... All three of my mid-seventies Gottlieb machines have 6 digits.

#11 9 years ago

Assuming it works. Assuming it was never disconnected. Assuming it started at zero. Assuming it was never tampered with.

What was the question ?

LTG : )™

#12 9 years ago

I would expect that no one would be adding plays to a meter on purpose. I suppose the meter could malfunction and add more than one per play. I guess the number would more likely be less than the actual number rather than more, so I just wondered what the highest number of plays on a six digit meter anyone has seen, that's all.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

Hmmmm.... All three of my mid-seventies Gottlieb machines have 6 digits.

You're right! My Solar City is the only one I have with 6 digits. 070853 is what it reads. But I do have higher numbers on some of my 5 digit counters.

#14 9 years ago

image-632.jpgimage-632.jpg
    #15 9 years ago

DSCN3130.JPGDSCN3130.JPG

DSCN3128.JPGDSCN3128.JPG

#16 9 years ago

1972 Gottlieb King Rock with over 220k plays. Judging by some of the smashed coil stops I replaced I would believe this to be not too far off. Nonetheless, I recently finished a 1977 Williams Liberty Bell with significantly less plays. Comparison? Gottlieb's are really built "like a rock" compared to others.

P1010460.jpgP1010460.jpg P1010494.JPGP1010494.JPG
    #17 9 years ago

221,411 goes with this....

image-879.jpgimage-879.jpg image-276.jpgimage-276.jpg image-229.jpgimage-229.jpg
    #18 9 years ago

I really like the counters in my Combat.

2013-06-28 00.41.25.jpg2013-06-28 00.41.25.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Sweet! Why are there two counters?

#20 9 years ago

85185 an Big Daddy's play meter. But who knows if that is correct.

Comparison? Why bother.

DSCN3131.JPGDSCN3131.JPG

DSCN3132.JPGDSCN3132.JPG

#21 9 years ago

Condition - condition - condition

I like LTG's answer too..........

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

Sweet! Why are there two counters?

The story I've heard is one is for plays and the other is for coin drop.

#23 9 years ago

Wow, hoov, that's a pretty impressive collection of Gottliebs, past and present! I'm jealous...

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

The story I've heard is one is for plays and the other is for coin drop.

Ah that makes sense, thanks.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

Wow, hoov, that's a pretty impressive collection of Gottliebs, past and present! I'm jealous...

I'm just small potatoes....if I only had more money and more room *yawn*

#26 9 years ago

To me useless. If you're working on a game you can restart it over and over and never play a game. Condition is all that matters.

#27 9 years ago

Agreed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/play-meter-count-how-important-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.