Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by -Matt-
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

after.JPG
    before.JPG
    DSC04177.JPG
    DSC04164.JPG
    DSC04173.JPG
    DSC04170.JPG
    DSC04165.JPG
    IMG_20110509_184121.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

So I'm in the middle of restoring my F14 play field. I just removed all the Mylar and am trying to get all the damn sticky goo off... tried naphtha and goo gone and its still beating my ass... as soon as its all clean I'm going to pound all the popped inserts back level and do a touch-up and a nice clear coat.

Pics!

IMG_20110509_184121.jpgIMG_20110509_184121.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Dont mind the "wetness" look of it... its goo gone sitting on it while i took the picture

#3 12 years ago

Just went through a bunch of that on a Playboy and a Gorgar the other day. I wound up using a plastic card (old Blockbuster card) and gently scraped the goop off after letting Goo Gone sit for a while. Then buffed with more Goo Gone and a rag. Worked great and saved hours of wiping / buffing and (best of all) it didn't damage the playfield.

G

#4 12 years ago

Looks good so far, keep us posted.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from glilly-BOA:

I wound up using a plastic card (old Blockbuster card)

Like a credit card? or a membership card?

#6 12 years ago

I bought some Sprayway 909 Heavy Duty Orange Power Plus from Pinrestore.com. You can find it here: http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

I found it much more effective than Goo Gone while recently stripping mylar from a TAF playfield I was restoring. Perhaps this info may be of use in the future should you do another restore, which you probably will if you've been bit by the pinball bug. LOL.

#7 12 years ago

I found a soft plastic "blade" for laying down vinyl and found that using the heat gun to add a little heat, plus the goo gone, plus the plastic blade does some good work on it... i have the upper and lower playing field almost totally done. Tomorrow ill work on the thickest part, the middle play field.

#8 12 years ago

Working a lot on this resto lately.. the sticky goo is still kicking my ass on the middle of the play field (the area that had the most Mylar coverage) Took a break from scrubbing goo to work on the dirty parts that the Mylar didn't cover (Main obvious place is in the middle "Gen Yagov" and "Hitman") I used Isopropyl Alcohol and a "Magic Eraser" and it took care of most of the discoloring!!

DSC04165.JPGDSC04165.JPG DSC04170.JPGDSC04170.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Very good. It's fun to see your progress.

#10 12 years ago

Got all of the sticky goo off. Time for a 1000 grit sand job and start on the touch-up paint. Pictures are of the play field goo free and a before and after of some of the dark spots.

DSC04173.JPGDSC04173.JPG DSC04164.JPGDSC04164.JPG DSC04177.JPGDSC04177.JPG

#11 12 years ago

Looks fantastic! Was it difficult to get it to the bare playfield?

#12 12 years ago

I'm in the middle of two playfields right now myself. A gorgar (very little touch up to do) and a Playboy (a lot of touchup to do). I have another Playboy playfield with less damage, but I figured I'd go with the most damaged. That way, if I mess it up, I have a backup. And, since this is still a learning experience for me, I wanted to try it on one I wasn't too worried about first. As in the youtube video of Pindude "anything will look better than it was".

Looks like that area in the photo above may be fun to touch up in that transitioning painted area. If you come up with any tricks for that, let us know how it works. I have a Black Knight that I will be doing eventually that needs touch up in the same type of transition paint.

BTW, are you having to level any of the inserts?

G

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from -Matt-:

I used Isopropyl Alcohol and a "Magic Eraser"

I think down the road, the Magic Eraser may turn out to be one of the greatest inventions for Pinball enthusiasts. Works like magic on a grimy playfield.

G

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Looks fantastic! Was it difficult to get it to the bare playfield?

It was... it seemed like the Mylar was on this playfield for the last 20 years.. it was really hard to get the goo of.. used a green scrub pad, IPA, goo gone, naphtha, magic eraser and a plastic blade. Took me a few hours, but i finally got it all.

Quoted from glilly-BOA:

Looks like that area in the photo above may be fun to touch up in that transitioning painted area. If you come up with any tricks for that, let us know how it works. I have a Black Knight that I will be doing eventually that needs touch up in the same type of transition paint.

I dont know how im going to do the transitioning area... im just going to have to try and color match as much as i can.

Quoted from glilly-BOA:

BTW, are you having to level any of the inserts?

Yes for sure... I had to level ALL of the inserts... before i clear i will re-set them again and add some glue to the back of them. Seems like this play field is notorious for rising inserts

Quoted from glilly-BOA:

I think down the road, the Magic Eraser may turn out to be one of the greatest inventions for Pinball enthusiasts. Works like magic on a grimy playfield. []

G

For real... i kinda scoffed at the idea of it... well i picked some up on the 3 day when i was ready to clean the dark spots and WOW... totally surprised

#15 12 years ago

awesome goodluck i had a hell of a time with goo as well on a playboy.

Very good. It's fun to see your progress.

it is fun to see the progress it keeps you motivated! cant wait to see the progress.
    here is some of mine that i am doing need to retouch some black cuz i drug my hand over the white when it was not dry.

before.JPGbefore.JPG after.JPGafter.JPG

#16 12 years ago

Wow cevans82!! Are you repainting all the color rather than just touchup? Is it easier?
    I'm in the middle of a playboy playfield also (I'll post some pics soon). I'm touching up rather than complete paint over (at least, that's what I'm going to try to do).

Looks good though. It's making me consider...

G

#17 12 years ago

Hey Matt,
    My hats off to you bud, I have a f-14 that im just trying to get the music to play on mine. My playfield is in decent shape for now. Maybe after your finished with yours you could do mine, LOL, just kidding man. Wow good luck getting it all back together...thats a $^!+ load of wires to deal with.
    Cant wait to see the finished product.

#18 12 years ago

first off thank you that is just a few. i have about 30 hours of painting into it. some parts i am just touching and other just look better repainted all together. i am trying to make it look good but also trying to preserve the vintage look as well which is kinda difficult as you may know with the colors yellowing over time. i do think its easier to repaint rather than touchup in some spots if you can get the color to match. although way more time consuming. i have a lil skintone left then its on to the inserts. how far in are you i may have some tips for ya. pinmail me if you would like i would be happy to share more pics and any advice that may help you as i have learned from a few mistakes. goodluck!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from -Matt-:

Working a lot on this resto lately.. the sticky goo is still kicking my ass on the middle of the play field (the area that had the most Mylar coverage) Took a break from scrubbing goo to work on the dirty parts that the Mylar didn't cover (Main obvious place is in the middle "Gen Yagov" and "Hitman") I used Isopropyl Alcohol and a "Magic Eraser" and it took care of most of the discoloring!!

looks great! cant wait to see more. how do you plan to level the inserts matt. i also have to level all of mine

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Roger450:

Hey Matt,
    My hats off to you bud, I have a f-14 that im just trying to get the music to play on mine. My playfield is in decent shape for now. Maybe after your finished with yours you could do mine, LOL, just kidding man. Wow good luck getting it all back together...thats a $^!+ load of wires to deal with.
    Cant wait to see the finished product.

Funny you say that. I will actually end up having a spare play field that i can do up for you.

Quoted from cevans82:

how do you plan to level the inserts matt. i also have to level all of mine

Ive been using a heat gun and a rubber hammer... heat and tap level, then add some superglue on the underside of the inserts

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from -Matt-:

heat and tap level, then add some superglue on the underside of the inserts

I may try that method with the rest of the ones on my PB. On my Gorgar, they all fell out (almost on their own) so I'm cleaning and resetting glue. I have a High Speed I'm doing later also that will have to have them completely removed and cleaned and re-inserted.

G

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from cevans82:

i would be happy to share more pics and any advice that may help you as i have learned from a few mistakes. goodluck

Thanks. I'll do that when I get back on the project. I haven't been able to work on it for a week or so because of school and work and lot's of other things.

We should start a new sticky on playfield restoration photos and tips... Robin??

G

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from glilly-BOA:

I may try that method with the rest of the ones on my PB. On my Gorgar, they all fell out (almost on their own) so I'm cleaning and resetting glue. I have a High Speed I'm doing later also that will have to have them completely removed and cleaned and re-inserted.

G

I may take all of the ones out of this play field because i ordered new insert decals for them anyways... so i will be able to take em out, sand off the old crap and glue and re install them the right way

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/play-field-resto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.