By Terry1

2 months ago

Stats

• Started 2 months ago
  • 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 months ago by baldtwit

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

IMG_20170307_101154 (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 80 days ago

I noticed that most of the play fields do not have a name on them.
    Does this mean, other than roll over buttons and hole count, that they are interchangeable?
    If so, how would you know if you have the proper one/or are they not specific to each game?
    Terry K

#2 80 days ago

They are specific usually stamped with a code number

#3 80 days ago

Thanks Buzz for the reply. Is there a list or something to correlate
    code #'s with specific machines?
    Terry K

#4 80 days ago

There are Jones plug wiring colors listed on the schematic or in the manual. That's the only way I'd know if they were compatible. Playfields are not plug compatible if there are different playfields features or layouts.

#5 80 days ago

The machine model number is also printed under the top arch.
    I couldn't see them being comparable as every feature operates off a relay, so even if they look the same chances are some relays will have different contacts.

#6 80 days ago

Just like modern games they are all "coded" different. I would not try to install my Big Daddy playfield into my Heatr Wave cab although it might fit. You can also go to ipdb and tell by the backglass and cabinet art if you are installing the correct playfield in the machine.

#7 80 days ago

Bingo playfields do appear in incorrect games all the time, though, and this is a bingo question.

I would suspect (but cannot verify) that plugs are pin compatible for games with the same layout/features. If the game had 25 holes and two rollovers, I would wager it could be used. The shutter motor might have to be moved over, though...? (which would make it not_ pin compatible...)

#8 80 days ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

this is a bingo question.

Oh, I missed that part...

#9 80 days ago

Oh, me too.

#10 80 days ago

Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm asking is more of an authenticity question
    than a matter if the playfield would work on a particular machine.
    I plan on buying a bingo soon, and if I am paying good money for a unit, it would be
    good to know that the play field is the proper one.
    Terry K

#11 80 days ago

Ah! Well, that question can be answered by looking at the art. If there is a particular game, I can suggest checking out bingo.cdyn.com and looking at the machine listings on the left, then selecting your game. There are usually playfield pictures available.

-Nick

#12 79 days ago

the playfields do actually have the game name on them - at least the ones I've looked at. It's conveniently (cough) printed on the top surface of the playfield in the lower right area just below where the artwork ends.

the bottom arch is nailed on from the bottom side, so it's easy enough to pry off and whack back on using the existing nails. Plus, you get to see some of the original ink colors.

generally the wiring is the same color, ID and in the same places on the plugs from game-to-game of the same game type, and the differences are usually wiring going to shutter switches.

if you had to get a wrong playfield to complete a machine, as long as it:
    - had correct rollovers (if needed) and text (if any)
    - the jones plugs were big enough/too big (you can cut them down to needed size)
    - you had some parts if you needed to add switches to the shutter 

you could make it work assuming there's no oddball things required (bump/hold feature bits, magic pockets, extra hole switches, etc.). Moving wires around on the jones plugs is easy if necessary.

you shouldn't rely on the wire colors matching, tho. The only safe thing is to compare the plug charts and schematics between the two games to ensure the wires are going to the same place and the circuits are the same.

IMG_20170307_101154 (resized).jpg

#13 79 days ago

Man, @baldtwit - that's one faded Big Time!

If you do pull up the apron to see the game name, be aware that it can be easy to reinstall the apron slightly off, changing the shape of the ball lift hole... which is generally a bad thing.

#14 79 days ago

Thanks guys, great input.
    My plan is to buy one machine for my family room. Since it will be the focal point
    of the room I am considering a Lido. It seams to have a great backglass; also looking at
    a Bikini. Having said that, now I have to try and find one!!!!
    Terry K

#15 79 days ago

I shoulda said "whack back on using the existing nails in the existing nail holes"....but that might have been too clear.

the reality is when using the existing holes, you can squeeze the apron down to the playfield most/all the way with your hand. If you have to whack it at the beginning, you don't have nail(s) in the holes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 49.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.99
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Plating and More

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.