7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinkid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Does anyone have experience with installing a playfield protector? I have a worn firepower playfield. Game play creates a lot of dust from the ball rolling across the exposed wood, and I was thinking a full playfield protector would help as well as smooth out game play. There is a company in Germany that sells protectors for most vintage games.

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

My "shop out" guy, who's been doing it for 25 plus years, just put one one on his personal T2, and recommended that I purchase and have him install one on my IJTPA, which I did. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it looks incredibly smooth. They fit nicely, and give you an instantly "new" smooth playfield texture. Won't fix visual problems, of course. Love that it can be removed at future point if absolutely necessary, with no damage to the playfield. The German dude who makes and sells these did right by me... when the first one arrived with a small dent, he first suggested a way to fix it, and then when that didn't quite work, he immediately shipped me out a replacement. So, I'm very satisfied.

#3 7 years ago

I have done two. I did a TOTAN and a Hobbit. Does smooth things out and it would solve your problem. They get tricky to install correctly when you have things rising out of the playfield ( drop targets. Trap doors, ect...) those items have to be adjusted to meet the protector otherwise you create a ball walk/stick problem. Otherwise it worth the effort in my book.

#4 7 years ago

I have done two EMs - Atlantis and Abra Ca Dabra. One thing you notice immediately is the ball rolls perfectly smooth and quiet as it glides across the playfield. Most older games you can hear and feel the ball rolling. So to answer your question, the protector will certainly smooth out the way the ball rolls. It also completely smooths out cupped inserts.

#5 7 years ago

I have 3 of them on different games. I like them. Easily removed if desired. Poor mans clearcoat.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/play-field-protectors-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.