2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tdiddy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1090254 (resized).JPG
    P1090245 (resized).JPG
    P1090243 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I am buying a game that has an overlay on it. I am just wondering what are some things to look at when I get it. Im sure if affects the price as well. What are tre pros and cons of doing so. It's basically going to be a player for me. Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Check for bubbling around all the star posts and just bubbling in general. Very common.

#3 2 years ago

Thank you very much. I certainly will check.

#4 2 years ago

I done a few overlays on older ss. If it's a good overlay and it's properly installed with clear under and on top of it they come out respectable. But I have seen ones done that were completely garbage

#5 2 years ago

Ive also beem curious about the qualities of overlays and if they're commonly used as a cost effective way of restoration for is less talented common folk.

#6 2 years ago

There are already discussions on this topic.
    The durability of the overlay has everything to do with the person that applied it.
    How long has it been applied? If it's been a year or more, the likelihood of more bubbles or rinkles around posts should be diminished by now.
    Run your hand over the inserts. If you feel cupped inserts, move along. They didn't do it right.

#7 2 years ago

... dont forget the quality of the overlay. I bought on the same source on ebay, good old Jeff, one was correctly pre-cutted .. the other was a pain in the ass. Nothing precutted, the white was not printed well and if you mail this guy you never will get an answer until he has your money.

Therefor .. have a look and ask around before purchase !

Xenon: bad quality ... printed "wood", no precut. many areas to cut out, "white" is shiny. Fits nearly 100% and the inserts are good

Jokerz: Much much better, very good pre-cut, white is white !

All playfields were sanded down, inserts polished and the whole clearcoated.
    After nringing on the overlay a playfieldprotector was installed , my clearcoater said it is too risky to clearcoat this big sticker.

P1090243 (resized).JPG
    P1090245 (resized).JPG
    P1090254 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

The only thing I don't like is the white on jeffs overlay, it's way to transparent. Fitment is hit or miss sometimes too. I used two kiss overlays in the past year, both were not exactly the same. One was pretty good, but the other I needed to make water slide decals to cover the keylines that were off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside