(Topic ID: 299733)

Play Ball Pinball Restore - Part 1 Removing Asbestos, cleaning cabinet

By TopTierArcade

85 days ago



Topic Stats

  • 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 76 days ago by TopTierArcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toptierarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 85 days ago

In this tech video, we start to restore the Play Ball Pinball machine. I start off by depopulating the playfield, remove the Asbestos in the machine and give a brief understanding why it's there and then start to clean the cabinet in and out.

All this and more in this video...

#4 85 days ago
Quoted from woody76:

asbestos? I have never heard of asbestos in a pinball machine.

Yes, very common in pinball machines and arcade machines in the 70's until the mid 80's in our Province, Ontario. There were 3 different variations. The "sheet" style, like the one in the video, that looks like a Bounce dryer sheet, another one that looked like drywall insulation and the 3rd Asbestos paint, that I currently have in my Gottleib Atlantis. You can see what it looks like when I filmed it

at the 11:45 mark...

#5 85 days ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

The ever protective Canadian Govenment.. Where i live asbestos is still common. My garage is covered with asbestos siding(which is very durable and easy to paint.) My last house had asbestos insulation on the boiler pipes in the walls. My friends house has asbestos flooring tiles that look new. It was durable and fireproof and i do not think it is an issue unless it is disturbed to a point where it gets in the air. I might have left it as is.
Thanks for the video. I learned something new.

Yes, you're 100% correct. Not touched, Asbestos is safe and affective. It's the small fibers in the air that get into your lungs and cause cancer/mesothelioma once touched or disturbed. As I did above, if you're curious, there is also Asbestos pain in my Gottleib Atlantis

at the 11:45 mark...

#7 85 days ago
Quoted from Mikala:

What’s the Big A** transformer for? I have never seen one of those in a machine before. You already have a power supply on the mechanical board.

I do go into further detail in the video, but long story short...The reason the transformer is there is that in Ontario, my province, I'm in Canada, there was a story where a tech that killed himself being shocked by a machine in the 70's and Ontario vending law advised vendors that every game needed an additional isolation transformer for safety and Asbestos for fire prevention. There was even a red "Ontario Hydro" seal or approval and verification check. Everyone is telling me to get rid of it as it's a boat anchor now. The same reason was also adding Asbestos under the isolation transformer or sometimes the fuse block as well other "hot spots" on the machine that may overheat. This is the over-protective Canadian government at its finest. Later, in the mid 80's, when Asbestos was deemed dangerous, the law was amended and Asbestos was NOT added, but the isolation transformer stayed until the early 90's.

1 week later
#9 76 days ago
Quoted from blibb:

This is very timely for me to come across since I bought a machine last week and it arrived in the house with a strange white wafer looking thing under the transformer. So is this a dangerous situation? Should I get that out of there ASAP?

sorry for the late response...Well, if you don't touch it, you will probably still be ok, but if you can, wear gloves and a mask and gently remove it and seal in plastic bag for life and throw away

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toptierarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside