4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

64fecf6e9c0b61b66b97d34df411a7855b0daed2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I spoke with Chris at pinballplating.com and from what I gathered from him the trim pieces on the cabinet (lock down bar, side rails, etc) aren't easy to plate since they are stainless. So, to get them plated you have to buy new ones from him that are not stainless, which he has already plated. I sort of want to do legs, lockdown and side rails but don't want to spend a fortune on them. Can anyone confirm what he said? Has anyone gotten these things plated independently with success? I suppose a powder coat might be less of an issue, not sure if there is a finish I'd be happy with in powder coat.

My main goal was to make the wireforms look better, I don't think polishing would do it (or that I have the patience to do it). I can exchange him my wireforms (and apron wires) for $175 total and get brass plated ones back. But maybe I'll just get everything powder coated or plated locally.

Any info, advice?

#2 4 years ago

Plating and / or coating is an expensive endeavor. There really isn't a way around it unless you know someone personally who can help you out. Plating is a bit trickier than powder coating and yes stainless makes it tricky. Brass also has to be coated so it won't tarnish. You are getting a quality product with Chris.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Plating and / or coating is an expensive endeavor. There really isn't a way around it unless you know someone personally who can help you out. Plating is a bit trickier than powder coating and yes stainless makes it tricky. Brass also has to be coated so it won't tarnish. You are getting a quality product with Chris.

Thanks... I just can't justify the price of the cabinet parts. I can stomach the wireforms, although it still seems like a lot compared to what others seem to be reporting on here, but it's an express service and he's pinball specific. I am thinking maybe powder coat would be better for my budget and to easily do all the parts I want. Just not sure if I could find a color that would work well.

#4 4 years ago

I had Chris do a few playfield parts for the TOM restoration I am working on (ever so slowly) and they came out great. I agree that the prices are shocking (I think I paid $400 for what is in the photo) but I really think it will look great. The cost of doing the exterior armor must be huge....
64fecf6e9c0b61b66b97d34df411a7855b0daed2 (resized).jpg64fecf6e9c0b61b66b97d34df411a7855b0daed2 (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I spoke with Chris at pinballplating.com and from what I gathered from him the trim pieces on the cabinet (lock down bar, side rails, etc) aren't easy to plate since they are stainless. So, to get them plated you have to buy new ones from him that are not stainless, which he has already plated. I sort of want to do legs, lockdown and side rails but don't want to spend a fortune on them. Can anyone confirm what he said? Has anyone gotten these things plated independently with success? I suppose a powder coat might be less of an issue, not sure if there is a finish I'd be happy with in powder coat.
My main goal was to make the wireforms look better, I don't think polishing would do it (or that I have the patience to do it). I can exchange him my wireforms (and apron wires) for $175 total and get brass plated ones back. But maybe I'll just get everything powder coated or plated locally.
Any info, advice?

Everything Chris told you is true. It will also look better if you just buy new parts from Chris. Exchange your wireforms to clean those up. I brass plated everything on my TOM including the coindoor. It looks amazing! Good luck finding a local brass platter. Very few left in the states doing and then clear coating to preserve the finish.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Everything Chris told you is true. It will also look better if you just buy new parts from Chris. Exchange your wireforms to clean those up. I brass plated everything on my TOM including the coindoor. It looks amazing! Good luck finding a local brass platter. Very few left in the states doing and then clear coating to preserve the finish.

Thanks!

#7 4 years ago

Electroplating stainless is a bit tricky, because what makes stainless steel "stainless" is the oxide layer it forms over itself that prevents corrosion ("staining"). This same oxide layer makes it difficult to plate the part and obtain good adhesion of the plated layer.
This is due to the chromium content alloyed into the steel. Poor preparation of the surface will mean blistering and peeling of the plated layer(s).
There are any number of shops that can do it, though you will pay for their expertise.
I can refer you to a good shop if interested. I was a plating engineer for 36 years, just retired.
No, I can't get any side jobs done at my old job, sorry! If I could, I'd have a bunch of Oldsmobile parts over there!
Jim

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from mojonitro:

Electroplating stainless is a bit tricky, because what makes stainless steel "stainless" is the oxide layer it forms over itself that prevents corrosion ("staining"). This same oxide layer makes it difficult to plate the part and obtain good adhesion of the plated layer.
This is due to the chromium content alloyed into the steel. Poor preparation of the surface will mean blistering and peeling of the plated layer(s).
There are any number of shops that can do it, though you will pay for their expertise.
I can refer you to a good shop if interested. I was a plating engineer for 36 years, just retired.
No, I can't get any side jobs done at my old job, sorry! If I could, I'd have a bunch of Oldsmobile parts over there!
Jim

Thanks, I think I found some solutions

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plating-tom-parts-?hl=mojonitro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.