Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0144.JPG
IMGA0143.JPG
IMGA0142.JPG
IMGA0140.JPG
IMGA0139.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I've been revitalizing my MSF, and had quite a tough time getting the plastics off their supporting posts. The holes drilled in the plastics for the posts are an exceedingly tight fit. I think this tight fit has lead to some buckling of some plastics. Does anyone know if this is a characteristic of DE/Sega games? They just seem way too tight, to the point where I am afraid I'll crack a plastic just trying to force it back onto its post.

I plan on drilling slightly bigger holes in the plastics before reassembly, both to make the job easier and to give the plastics a little "wiggle room" for expansion, and hopefully avoid further buckling. Anybody got any thoughts on the best way to do this? How big the hole should be? I do have a drill press, and will back up my drill hole with some wood while drilling.

#2 9 years ago

I can't say if this s.o.p. for DE / Sega games or not, but I think 1 standard size increase would work. When drilling the plastic, go slow and easy as to not let the drill grab and pull through the hole to quickly thus cracking or breaking it.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks wolf.

#4 9 years ago

I've enlarged holes before with no problem with this and I'm talking BIG enlargements and it works great with no wood backing. These pictures are of the enlarging of the pop caps of my Avatar for the mini domes to be added. Didn't crack or chip any of them and I didn't even have to sand the holes when I was done.

IMGA0139.JPGIMGA0139.JPG
IMGA0140.JPGIMGA0140.JPG
IMGA0142.JPGIMGA0142.JPG
IMGA0143.JPGIMGA0143.JPG
IMGA0144.JPGIMGA0144.JPG

#5 9 years ago

Make sure your plastics are flat. The hole, if it just wiggle room you need, could also be made larger with a small file.

#6 9 years ago

Mustangpaul, that looks like a metal hole punching bit. I've got one of those but been afraid to try it..... You just hold it under the bit and let it self-center?

#7 9 years ago

That's called a 'step-drill'. Yes, the way paul is using it, the hole will self center in an existing hole. Looks like it works pretty good.

#8 9 years ago

I use that type of but at work all the time. We call it a unibit. The brand name ones can be $50+. I've been buying the Harbor Freight ones for around $15, I think you get 2 in the kit. It's help up pretty well in commercial construction. I wouldn't recommend holding the part with your bare hands though, even with plastic. I've seen some pretty bad injuries with a drill turning something into a circular saw when it catches.

#9 9 years ago

As mentioned above flatten the plastics also, just put them back down on a cookie sheet and use the oven at about 200 degrees for a few minutes. Be sure to watch them and as they just begin to flatten take them out. Works great.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

That's called a 'step-drill'. Yes, the way paul is using it, the hole will self center in an existing hole. Looks like it works pretty good.

Yup self centers perfectly and I had no problem holding the plastic and moving it upward slowly. The drill press was on a slow speed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
$ 36.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastics-too-tight-on-their-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.