Untitled (resized).png
802b6335848935db28f8cf7bd5515064abdcab83 (resized).jpg
2455f2 (resized).jpg
DSCN3662 (resized).JPG
s-l640 (resized).jpg
2018-11-06_11.20.08 (resized).jpg
20181106_064625 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm working on my first SS state machine and I'm not used to the posts and acorn nuts.

I received the machine with what looks like new acorn nuts, but they are bottomed out on the post and the plastics are loose. What am I missing? Is there a spacer missing or are these the wrong acorn nuts? Or, should they be loose fitting?

Thanks

20181106_064625 (resized).jpg20181106_064625 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

The hole is probably too big

#3 5 years ago

Is every one like that or just that one? It's possible they just got two posts swapped. Is that one behind the drop bank in the pic taller?

#4 5 years ago

I have same problem, I would recommend using some type of white plastic washer(s) beneath the acorn nut cover to take up the "slack". I'm looking in my hardware store tonight, see if I find anything.

Over the years, post sizes, types, etc get all screwed-up when machine has been worked on those many years in the past...........

#5 5 years ago

I get rid of the cheap looking plastic acorn nuts, and add 2 washers one on top and one under plastic, and chrome arcon nuts, looks so much better!

#6 5 years ago

I just swapped them out for new lock nuts on my Comet with washers also on most. If i could washers on both sides of the plastic if it would fit.
Probably not the most favorable option but i just don't like the look of them.
I was thinking about getting Colored Acorns or the colored ionized colored lock nuts just for a little color.

2018-11-06_11.20.08 (resized).jpg2018-11-06_11.20.08 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I get rid of the cheap looking plastic acorn nuts, and add 2 washers one on top and one under plastic, and chrome arcon nuts, looks so much better!

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Disagree. Comet gets white nylon acorn nuts...at least, that's what is on the flyer. They look great when you replace them with brand new. Add PETG clear fender washers under the plastics.

#8 5 years ago

Plastics should be loose anyway

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

Plastics should be loose anyway

I agree here. I always use rubber nubbins on mine so that they have some give. Usually the rubber will fly off instead of a chunk of plastic. If I use nuts I always leave them a bit loose

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I just swapped them out for new lock nuts on my Comet with washers also on most. If i could washers on both sides of the plastic if it would fit.
I was thinking about getting Colored Acorns or the colored ionized colored lock nuts just for a little color.[quoted image]

Confused, why the washers?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Confused, why the washers?

"Crystal clear protective washers are made of PETG plastic, a nearly undestructible high impact type of plastic, much more durable than acrylic
Clear polycarbonate fender washer for protection of slingshot posts and other high ball impact areas"

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

"Crystal clear protective washers are made of PETG plastic, a nearly undestructible high impact type of plastic, much more durable than acrylic
Clear polycarbonate fender washer for protection of slingshot posts and other high ball impact areas"

I understand the large clear ones. Wondering about the small metal ones.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I understand the large clear ones. Wondering about the small metal ones.

Probably shouldn't be there - perhaps someone added them.

The OPs game is Supersonic, so the correct cap to use should be these white rubber post caps

s-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:Probably shouldn't be there - perhaps someone added them.

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

#14 5 years ago

I've noticed acorn nuts for vintage Bally games are different for Stern games of that era. The ones that fit a Bally are a different thread. Not a fan of the rubber ones.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I've noticed acorn nuts for vintage Bally games are different for Stern games of that era. The ones that fit a Bally are a different thread.

Interesting fact. Most parts are very similar for this era.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I've noticed acorn nuts for vintage Bally games are different for Stern games of that era. The ones that fit a Bally are a different thread. Not a fan of the rubber ones.

And lets not forget Gottlieb's metal acorn nuts and non-threaded post screws :/

#17 5 years ago

Guys,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, this is a Supersonic. I don't like how loose the plastics are. Wayout440, do you have a source for the washers you use? I have a kit of white and opaque nylon washers with different thicknesses. I was planning on spacing washers in there, but leaving the plastics loose (but not flopping around as they do now).

I'm not restoring. I would like it to look original, but with some of my preferences.

Where do you get the white rubber push on caps?

#18 5 years ago

Marco Specialties and Pinballlife carry both items, and probably other pinball parts distributors as well.

#19 5 years ago

God acorns are the worst. Firs thing I do is throw them away and replace with Post caps (Chesterfields).

https://www.pinballlife.com/white-post-caps.html

#20 5 years ago

If you need clear PTEG fender washers I have them for sale, 35 cents each and only $3.50 shipping in the lower 48.

#21 5 years ago

Dave, Bally has 2 different length posts. The one on the right in your post is the wrong length, hence the loose plastic. The short posts are 1", longer are 1-3/16". I usually swap out the longer ones under plastics to the shorter length to avoid the screw head scratching the plastic. The white nylon acorn nuts are what was OE for Supersonic but the rubber nuts are easier to remove during the enviable switch adjustments under slings and other PF work. The OE nylon nuts are easily stripped out from over tightening so if that's your choice do not over torque them. Also the old nylon nuts will clean up nicely if soaked in bleach for a week, will look nearly new. If you prefer the rubber style, PBR has the best price on them.

DSCN3662 (resized).JPGDSCN3662 (resized).JPG
#22 5 years ago

And yes, the nylon post nuts are correct for Supersonic.

2455f2 (resized).jpg2455f2 (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

And yes, the nylon post nuts are correct for Supersonic.
[quoted image]

Those are rubber post caps in the flyer pic.

Here is another link to a discussion thread. I am in the belief that the flyers *possibly* do not always match production games, and both were used around the years of this Bally era. My 1981 Bally Elektra had the rubber caps...and regardless of keeping a game original, eventually you end up finding these critters down in your outhole

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nylon-acorns-postnuts-vs-rubber-nuts

#24 5 years ago

Ok, so it looks like we're sorting out the fact that the caps on there now are not what was originally on there.

I went to hardware store last night, looked around for some type of spacer.

Here's what I found:
I purchased a 3/4" length of white nylon(?) tubing from plumbing aisle. The tubing slips over the space left between my post and the post cap, removing the extreme amount of play on the plastic. I've got enough tubing for 1,000 games as you only use a tiny bit!!! Cost about $4.

Not "stock" but just though I'd throw this idea into the mix. You can always dye the tubing also if you are using colored caps, but you don't really see the tubing that much.

So plastic are *supposed* to have some play in them? This helps them absorb impact better without breaking - hmmm, makes sense, although I could see some rubbing on the underside of the plastic as a result unless you put some mylar down on it.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

So plastic are *supposed* to have some play in them? This helps them absorb impact better without breaking - hmmm, makes sense, although I could see some rubbing on the underside of the plastic as a result unless you put some mylar down on it.

That's where the plastic washers or full plastic protectors could be a solution. I've always thought the protectors or washers would go under the plastics, because that is where the art is printed. This is just my opinion, as I generally keep my games original and don't go out of my way to add all these extras.

#26 5 years ago

I'm still going with its the wrong post.

#27 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Each step on this machine uncovers some previous work that was not correct. I see PBR has the correct size and color posts for this game. I'm just ordering new and putting it back to the way it should be.

I'll adjust the acorn nuts to secure the plastic, but leave some room for the plastic to move.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

protectors or washers would go under the plastics

Yes, they would.

I actually made my own protectors for the infamous center plastic in Taxi out of heavy plastic, and it seems to be doing the job. May do this for my Meteor project also.

#29 5 years ago

Those rubber barrel post caps will pop off on a direct strike, saving the plastic from being destroyed.

Remember to install those clear plastic fender washers correctly.

They go UNDER the post nut.

That leaves a safety gap to absorb any strikes, rather than transfer that energy to the expensive plastic above it.
802b6335848935db28f8cf7bd5515064abdcab83 (resized).jpg802b6335848935db28f8cf7bd5515064abdcab83 (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Yes, they would.
I actually made my own protectors for the infamous center plastic in Taxi out of heavy plastic, and it seems to be doing the job. May do this for my Meteor project also.

On my ex-Taxi after that plastic broke a 2nd time, I just left the cracked center plastic in place and installed the replacement on top of it. That one sure takes a beating!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those rubber barrel post caps will pop off on a direct strike, saving the plastic from being destroyed.

Until, of course, the plastic is now off and wedged in the slingshot mechanism.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Until, of course, the plastic is now off and wedged in the slingshot mechanism.

It can happen.

Your wife will just keep playing, laughing manically as the plastic is destroyed.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Those are rubber post caps in the flyer pic.
Here is another link to a discussion thread. I am in the belief that the flyers *possibly* do not always match production games, and both were used around the years of this Bally era. My 1981 Bally Elektra had the rubber caps...and regardless of keeping a game original, eventually you end up finding these critters down in your outhole
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nylon-acorns-postnuts-vs-rubber-nuts

I have to respectably disagree. I have bought 2 dozen early SS Bally project games, many in the early 2000's which were from operators warehouses that still had the OE #44 brass base bulbs under the plastics and PF. Supersonic was a March 1979 release. While I've haven't owned one, I have bought a Star Trek 4-79 release, 3 Paragon's 6-79 release, 4 Silverball Mania's 2-80 release and a Space Invaders from 4-80. All had the nylon post caps. 1st game that I encountered that had rubber post caps was Xenon (11-1980). I know I'm splitting hairs but I believe the nylon post caps were installed into 1980.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I have to respectably disagree. I have bought 2 dozen early SS Bally project games, many in the early 2000's which were from operators warehouses that still had the OE #44 brass base bulbs under the plastics and PF. Supersonic was a March 1979 release. While I've haven't owned one, I have bought a Star Trek 4-79 release, 3 Paragon's 6-79 release, 4 Silverball Mania's 2-80 release and a Space Invaders from 4-80. All had the nylon post caps. 1st game that I encountered that had rubber post caps was Xenon (11-1980). I know I'm splitting hairs but I believe the nylon post caps were installed into 1980.

hmmmm. you left out 1979 Future Spa and 1979 Dolly Parton

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

futurespaupper (resized).jpgfuturespaupper (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).pngUntitledd (resized).pngUntitledd (resized).png
#42 5 years ago

My Bally KISS had the rubber caps. I think they were factory.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

My Bally KISS had the rubber caps. I think they were factory.

A lot of KISS had the rubber caps, but you'll see the nylon caps on a lot of them as well. It also looks like nylon caps on the flyer. I'm going to go with 1979 as a transitional year. I don't think you'll see many, or any 1978 and earlier with the rubber posts factory. Anyway, it's really not all that important. We can always install what we like .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastics-are-loose-acorn-nut-is-bottomed-out?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.