(Topic ID: 46348)

Plastic VS Metal ramps?

By hollywood

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02871_zpsed130d23.jpg
    DSC02869_zps320b709b.jpg
    DSC02868_zps72db1253.jpg
    Elvis_posts_003.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Just curious as to why plastic ramps are used in many games rather than a wireform ramp? Is it cheaper to make the plastic ramps? Are they easier to reproduce? I am just trying to understand why some games have plastic, while others use wire?
    I just played PRED and wonder why they chose plastic?
    Any ideas or actual answers I would love to hear.

#2 11 years ago

Smoother for one. Probably cheaper to make too.

#3 11 years ago

Depending on title and layout, maybe they chose clear for better sight lines. Budget is probably a huge factor as well. Depending on era, plastic was only choice until someone thought of wire form ramps. Also too, you have to remember, pinballs weren't made to last more than x amount of years, they were built to take a beating, make their money so ops would buy new titles for their routes and arcades. No manufacturer was thinking to build them for the long hall so eventually pinholics like all of us would collect them for home use.

#4 11 years ago

Plastic are cheaper to make.

#5 11 years ago

Metal are better especially on TFTC and Elvis.

#6 11 years ago

Metal are better especially on TFTC and Elvis.

On ELVIS the left ramp is junk, if it isn't already broken it will be.
    Here is a fix, replace the screws with posts and add the sleeves to bolster the sides.
    This takes the shock from the jog off of the welds.

Elvis_posts_003.jpgElvis_posts_003.jpg

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

Just curious as to why plastic ramps are used in many games rather than a wireform ramp?

It's the same reason why car, appliance and various other machine parts are made in plastic instead of metal.

#8 11 years ago

Cool. Thanks for the input guys.
    I much prefer the metal wire form ramps. The habitrails IMHO look better, but I get the cost measures.....

#9 11 years ago

I can imagine wireform to be quite expensive compared to plastic. Layout and bend the wire, weld up, clean, plate. Quite a process compared to building a form and vacuum forming to it.

Quoted from Gnatty:

Depending on era, plastic was only choice until someone thought of wire form ramps.

While not exactly wire form, metals ramps have been around since the 30's:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/coinop/games/chicago/chicago.html

So I don't think it was a matter of available technology...simply cost and ease of manufacture.

#10 11 years ago

I like a nice quality plastic ramp since you can see through it. However, when they look bad they definitely look bad. A dirty plastic ramp is definitely way worse than any dirty or worn wireform.

Also easier to clean metal ramps and wire forms.

#11 11 years ago

I love when they use and integrate both. Congo is a great example:

DSC02868_zps72db1253.jpgDSC02868_zps72db1253.jpg DSC02869_zps320b709b.jpgDSC02869_zps320b709b.jpg DSC02871_zpsed130d23.jpgDSC02871_zpsed130d23.jpg

#12 11 years ago

Wonder if metal ramps would look good on TSPP?

#13 11 years ago

I love the look or wire forms. I'm sure it's a money thing. I think a lot of the time plastic ramps look cheap. Not always though.

#14 11 years ago

Metal doesn't crack at the entrance. But welds can be broken if not made well.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Metal doesn't crack at the entrance. But welds can be broken if not made well.

Truth. DE:SW....

My favorite are the combos. CV being the one I like the most.

#16 11 years ago

shadow and stargate will break welds as well. But i'd rather have a metal ramp that can be spot welded back easy enough than a plastic ramp that gets cracked and blown out.

#17 11 years ago

Big points for Metallica having metal ramps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastic-vs-metal-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.