(Topic ID: 156786)

Plastic protectors: What do you think about this?

By tamoore

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tamoore
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4ac79af5a1786a6d6a1bcc5adf3a2eba0a3bc552_(resized).jpg
petg_washer_(resized).jpg
WP_20160406_14_45_03_Pro[1]_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I bought the pinbits slingshot protectors for TSPP. During a recent game, this happened. Both the protector and the plastic were broken at the same time. I haven't had one do this before. They've all been really solid. This ever happened to you?

WP_20160406_14_45_03_Pro[1]_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Nope...and I have them in all my games (when available)...have they been in the game for a while?

#3 3 years ago

btw....that must have been a hell of a post pass...

#4 3 years ago

Was the protector installed under or over the art plastic?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

Was the protector installed under or over the art plastic?

Under.

#6 3 years ago

They look like they were installed correctly under the original plastic.
Id contact pinbits they have a good reputation of standing behind there products.

#7 3 years ago

Also, are the TSPP slingshot plastics even available? I haven't been able to find a replacement.

I paid 12 bucks for the protectors. I'm not worried about replacements or anything. Just interested if anyone has ever seen anything like this. I also have protectors on everything that they're made for.

#8 3 years ago

I had a Pinbits protector crack under one of my IJ plastics to the left of the 3 in a row drop targets. Pinbits gave me a new one, and it's been fine since. I was trying to remember if the plastic above it cracked, but I don't remember. I had lots of extra plastics at the time as I was collecting them whenever I could find them trying to get all the colors to match on all the plastics with green leaves graphics, so I had quite a few extra pieces. Sorry your sling plastic is broke, that's a bummer.

I don't think extra sling plastics are available for TSPP. Finding any plastics for that game is hard. Double bummer.

#9 3 years ago

Is it possible that you tightened that nut a little too much, and it was putting tension on the plastic/protector?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is it possible that you tightened that nut a little too much, and it was putting tension on the plastic/protector?

It's possible, but I have/have had 20 other games with plastic protectors on them, and never had an issue like that. I pretty much put all of my plastics on the same way.

#11 3 years ago

That sucks, because the whole point of the protector is so that it takes the hit and "protects" the plastic. I'll check to see if I have an extra slingshot plastic for you.

#12 3 years ago

Damn, this has me wanting putting metal washers on my slingshots, although I imagine it's not a common thing.

#13 3 years ago

Sounds like their protectors are made from acrylic and not petg?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Sounds like their protectors are made from acrylic and not petg?

They really might be. They say on the website that they're make the protectors out of "any colored acrylic you choose for the same price"....

#15 3 years ago

Ahh, yeah thats it then. I would see if indypinhead has any for TSPP. He makes his stuff out of petg I believe.

#17 3 years ago

Probably acrylic. I wonder if the heat from the laser cutter weakens the plastic by the cut points. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the protector.

But to eat through the protector AND the plastic, damn those flippers must be strong!

#18 3 years ago

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... I have a laser cutter at work too. I could have made them myself.

I bet yours are really nice, bud!

#19 3 years ago

Did you over tighten them?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... I have a laser cutter at work too. I could have made them myself.
I bet yours are really nice, bud!

Thanks Todd....yeah, they're pretty nice.

No laser cutting here...mine are done on a cnc machining center.

You can't cut polycarbonate on a laser.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you over tighten them?

Probably. But, it's been covered... Have/have had 20 other pins with protectors on them. Never a hint of an issue before.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Thanks Todd....yeah, they're pretty nice.
No laser cutting here...mine are done on a cnc machining center.
You can't cut polycarbonate on a laser.

Yes you can. I only say that because I've done it on ours for video game control panel overlays....

#23 3 years ago

hmmm...

I thought cutting polycarbonate w/ a laser caused it to give off toxic fumes.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

hmmm...
I thought cutting polycarbonate w/ a laser caused it to give off toxic fumes.

It's a sealed system with a vacuum on it to remove most of the gasses. We mold polycarb, and you don't "love" the fumes you get from melting it, but it won't kill you.

#25 3 years ago

I like to put the protector or Lexan washers under the nut so there is a gap between the protector and the valuable plastic.

The gap between the protector and the slingshot plastic is a life saver.

If somehow a hit destroys the protector, the energy will not be transferred to the plastic.

#26 3 years ago

Those TSPP plastics are nearly impossible to find these days.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I like to put the PETG or Lexan washers under the nut so there is a gap between the protector and the valuable plastic.
The gap between the protector and the slingshot plastic is a life saver.
If somehow a hit destroys the protector, the energy will not be transferred to the plastic.

I do that on all my games that DON'T have plastic protectors available for them....

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Those TSPP plastics are nearly impossible to find these days.

That's what I'm finding man....

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I do that on all my games that DON'T have plastic protectors available for them....

Even if there are plastic protectors available, try to put the protectors under the nut. Then you will gain that valuable gap with either style.

#30 3 years ago

Is it possible that the protectors move the area of potential impact down closer to the ball? Unless you change the stand-off or adjust the threading to pull it back up, its still marginally closer to the playfield than factory. I realize its intended to be a sacrificial layer, but more likely to get hit, and if it has the force to break the plastic seems like that same force may have enough to erupt into the 'protected' plastic.

I'm sure its better in a number of ways but wouldn't think they are fool proof.

The washers are ugly but seem to be less likely to transfer energy (as there's less surface area).

That's just my 'thinking' on the whole idea of protectors. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but I have ridden a donkey and know which side gets the apple.

This would be a good 'pinball mythbusters' theory to try. Jeremy on Tested was on the show and a pinballer, maybe he'll take up the torch.

#31 3 years ago

I recommend keeping an eye on ebay for a plastics set. I've seen NOS sets on there before, but they are pretty pricey.
I hate having to buy an entire set when I only need one plastic.

#32 3 years ago

Probably in the minority here but I've had almost the exact same thing happen on my tz, only it was the top corner of the left sling. Since that day- I've moved all my plastic protectors on top of the plastics.

#33 3 years ago

Maybe Pinbits ran these in acrylic by mistake? I would put the remaining part of the broken protector off and bend it. If it breaks almost like a potato chip, it is not poly carbonate.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Is it possible that the protectors move the area of potential impact down closer to the ball?

If the protector is sitting on top of the post nut, then it has moved the real plastic 3/32" farther from the ball.

Quoted from VacFink:

The washers are ugly but seem to be less likely to transfer energy (as there's less surface area).

Less surface area would concentrate the energy into a smaller area.

A larger surface area would potentially spread the impact energy across a larger area.

#35 3 years ago

I just checked, and unfortunately I don't have that plastic. I thought I might have one in the "goodie bag", but I was confusing it with a different game. Sorry.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just checked, and unfortunately I don't have that plastic. I thought I might have one in the "goodie bag", but I was confusing it with a different game. Sorry.

Thanks for checking! I appreciate it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 430.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
5,250 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 16.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
£ 80.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside