(Topic ID: 194159)

Plastic debris stuck in ball return system (Who Dunnit)

By Lawlor_and_Order

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lawlor_and_Order.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Gack. Got a Who Dunnit in great condition, not quite mint but almost no noticeable wear and tear. Got it home, set it up, it played fine. Utterly nothing wrong other than a single burned out light.

I let the kids play for a while, came back to it, and started up a game. As I shot my first ball towards the Phone scoop, I noticed a piece of gray plastic between a dime and quarter-sized on the playfield right in front of the hole. It was ridged, I think, and looked like a piece of that large grey wire conduit used to keep wires together going from the playfield to the head (I checked later, couldn't see a piece out of the one in his machine). All I can think is it was just a loose piece from the game or another one the previous owner had been working on that somehow came loose during transport.

In any event, here's luck: the ball carried the plastic piece of whatever right into the scoop. I stopped play right away, took off the glass, and couldn't find the plastic. I'm 99% sure it got swept into the hole. Shaking the balls out and wiggling the playfield did not produce the piece.

So I *know* it's in there - because every now and then a switch won't trip, and I get a different rotating switch error from the test report on startup. And the game may play fine for a while, but eventually you hit a ball down a hole and it doesn't come up and ball search doesn't produce it. About half the time I can lift up the playfield and shake the balls and put it down and the ball emerges; the other half I tilt it or it doesn't work until I do shake it and power-cycle it. I've even managed to get a four-ball multiball going (LOTS of action through the ball return system), played through, up to 3 or 4 billion, and then had the "can't find balls" lock condition come up.

Is there any technique to get this thing out of there short of unscrewing every part of the ball return system from below the playfield until I find it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lawlor_and_Order.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastic-debris-stuck-in-ball-return-system-who-dunnit?tu=Lawlor_and_Order and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.