(Topic ID: 235547)

plastic cutter and or fabrication

By dragon2016

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

I agree with @northvibe. I have tons of PETG for the ramps I make, but if I was going to make a flat plastic for the playfield, I would use polycarbonate (Lexan). Also, that old plastic is probably pretty brittle by now. Don't know where you live, but most major cities have retail plastic stores. Here in Washington, we have one called Tap Plastics. They always have left over pieces of all sorts of plastic that they put in a bin and sell for a couple bucks a pound. When I go in, I usually buy all of the clear 1/8" polycarbonate they have.

As far as cutting it, I may roughly draw the outline of the piece I want to reproduce, then rough cut it with a band saw (fine tooth blade). Then I finish them to the proper size on a bench top belt sander or a Dremel with a sanding drum. If you don't have a band saw, you could also use those diamond dust cut-off disks for the Dremel. If you are really anal, the cut edges of polycarbonate can be fine sanded down to at least 1000 grit and then polished like glass. Can't do that with PETG.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from dragon2016:

I have a TAP plastic within reach

Just ask them which pieces are clear polycarbonate.....they also may have some tinted polycarbonate. Pieces are usually like 12" x 12", so work well for us pinballers making plastics.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastic-cutter-and-or-fabrication?tu=Freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.