(Topic ID: 235547)

plastic cutter and or fabrication

By dragon2016

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I need a new piece of plastic on my High Speed and couldn't easily find a replacement--but I have many other replacement plastic pieces sitting in a box and doubt I will use some of them. One looks large enough to use for replacement. I was thinking of using the broken piece I have as a template and cutting a new piece from the extra piece I will probably never need. Does anyone have a good clean way to cut this 30 year old plastic. Also--since I am sure this piece of plastic will get a lot of abuse--is there a better way to replace/fabricate in this situation.

Thanks from the newbie

#2 5 years ago

I would use pteg or polycarbonate instead of cutting an old plastic.

Here is one method

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics

#3 5 years ago

I agree with @northvibe. I have tons of PETG for the ramps I make, but if I was going to make a flat plastic for the playfield, I would use polycarbonate (Lexan). Also, that old plastic is probably pretty brittle by now. Don't know where you live, but most major cities have retail plastic stores. Here in Washington, we have one called Tap Plastics. They always have left over pieces of all sorts of plastic that they put in a bin and sell for a couple bucks a pound. When I go in, I usually buy all of the clear 1/8" polycarbonate they have.

As far as cutting it, I may roughly draw the outline of the piece I want to reproduce, then rough cut it with a band saw (fine tooth blade). Then I finish them to the proper size on a bench top belt sander or a Dremel with a sanding drum. If you don't have a band saw, you could also use those diamond dust cut-off disks for the Dremel. If you are really anal, the cut edges of polycarbonate can be fine sanded down to at least 1000 grit and then polished like glass. Can't do that with PETG.

#4 5 years ago

IF you have access to a laser cutter; tracing the broken plastic onto paper then "converting" to DXF is how I did my Star Trek Mirror Universe plastics.

I don't have stock of PETG; but it's something that I've been meaning to try.

#5 5 years ago

Home depot, lowes, and harbor freight tools all carry lexan for cheap. They also have cutters for it.

Unless you have access to a 3D printer or laser cutter, I would use that route. Easy and cheap.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks to all for the tips--I have a TAP plastic within reach and I can't thank you folks enough for the well thought out advice. I will post a pic when it is finished.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from dragon2016:

I have a TAP plastic within reach

Just ask them which pieces are clear polycarbonate.....they also may have some tinted polycarbonate. Pieces are usually like 12" x 12", so work well for us pinballers making plastics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plastic-cutter-and-or-fabrication and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.