Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    1284 (resized).jpg
    8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I figure with all that's going on perfect time to drop 5k or so on a new TV. Now I currently own and love my Panasonic Plasma, It was their flagship Tv back in 2013/14. anyone else made this move and was it worth it? I'm looking at the Sony AG9 or the LG C9 series. maybe even going to a 77inch. Or theres the Samsung 82" Qled Q90 not OLED but not bad either. I watch a lot nature and space programs, man they look great so why upgrade? Maybe I'm missing something, like a pin that you could right off playing at a bar or at the distributer showroom buy damn at home in the right environment she shines. Lets hear some opinions.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I am convinced that most of all bigger is better. 72” at least, but better would be 88” or 96”. I’m holding out on the 60” plasma for as long as possible in the hopes I can replace it with a high resolution monster behemoth. Better yet, where’s my TV that is the size of the entire wall?

Yeah, that's why I'm eyeing that 82 Qled. It seems wrong to upgrade to just another 65", then again I could go 77" OLED. I have the best problems ever.

#78 3 years ago

I went with the SonyAg8 65" got a good deal on it. Coming mon or tues. Thanks for all the advice. For what I paid I can easily upgrade again in a couple years, micro dot tech will have settled, OLED will hopefully be available in 85" or larger.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

Watching movies on 150inches at home with a good sound system is better imo than going to the movie theater.

At home with a 27 inch CRT monitor with an old cable box from the 80's is better than going to the theater.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

Certainly it is right now...

it wouldn't matter if there was a pandemic or not for me, the latest and supposed greatest films of the last 10 years or so have all been just OK or crap.

Anyway, got it an hour or go and its great, you can see the color difference but I'm not blown away. It will definitely take some getting used to, the 4K resolution is throwing me a little with the 1080 native stuff. I played some God Of War and it looked good but not really better than the plasma. Way too early to pass full judgment. I'm gonna report back in a couple days. Just getting started. Need to wait to see how the cable looks, I bought 2 boxes 10 plus years ago and they work fine still but only have component outputs, converter to HDMI is on its way. That will be the decider, if the upscaled 1080 cable looks like shit its goes back.

#92 3 years ago

Oh I forgot, one thing is for sure to you Plasma owners out there thinking about a change. Picture is great, really is but its an LED. best u can buy but an LED. I can't help but feel like I'm watching everything on a giant computer monitor, the glow is gone.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Try watching some quality 4k stuff. It should blow away what you are used to.

It has. While waiting for the converter to be delivered I started watching some "life" episodes with David A and it looks pretty god damn good. Thing is I watch alot of cable. A&E HD, NAT G HD and so on. The movie channels, Hollywood suite, I'm just scarred its gonna look terrible. Actually I shouldn't say scarred I still have the plasma and this A8G would make a fine downstairs lair set in my studio should it be unbearable. I'm watching Darkest hour right now coming in through the PS4 in 1080 and it looks pretty good. I have a feeling the optic receptors need to adjust. My Plasma is the 65 VT30 manufactured 2011 so its older than I thought. The OLED is growing on me every minute so adjustment time gentlemen, very important here for Plasma guys making the change.

Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Any good tv's for under $800 in the 49 inch to 55 inch range?

Toshiba who make great stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HCQV1BT/ref=ods_gw_ftve_tsh_dc_q120

Thats Canadian so could be a real steal right now in the States.

#99 3 years ago

last post from me on this
    Its 100% content quality. The Nature Stuff on Netflix and that's still in just 1080 looks incredible.
    '

#106 3 years ago

Shes warmed up, I've been watching some 4K stuff even just upscaled old school stuff and its quite breath taking I must say. Way different than the plasma picture, I decided to run a test and switch back to the plasma. That move solidified any doubts about the OLED.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

IMHO OLED smashes even the best plasma's.

After a couple days I would agree OLED is a better picture overall but Plasma did some stuff better. I've lost the glow man, the glow. Same thing happened when I moved from CRT monitors to LCD for my PC. Sharper and better colors but the Glow was gone. I got over it and same thing applies here. You know I just realized what a 1st world problem dickhead I am. There's a virus going around, 3rd world starvation and I've lost my giant TV glow, good times.

#126 3 years ago

I'm watching Cosmic Vistas right now on Smithsonian, great show. Its looks pretty good but.... Here's my final take on this. If ur a cable box type fella then almost all of the content is 1080 and an upgrade from a good plasma isn't going to blown ur mind in fact on many channels its worse. But once u watch some 4K stuff, native with the settings right, yeah its surreal. I still think my eyes are adjusting to all this.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

where’s my TV that is the size of the entire wall?

This is why the Micro Led panels are exciting. U could buy 2 a year and over five years turn into a wall 200" tv. I don't enough about it but it is modular.

#135 3 years ago

Final post for me.
    Its over.
    I will always have a love for plasma TV's and the glow is gone but damn what a picture on this OLED. Its just ridiculous. Seems like the cable stuff has to take a day to warm up a little, looking great. The only gripe is I need to adjust the brightness quite a bit from channel to channel, man when its a bright scene its bright, OLEDs being too dark is crap. Anyway my model is on sale for 3K CAD so probably 2299 or so in the states. Sony AG8 65" can't go wrong. Good day to u kind sirs, I said good day.

2 weeks later
    3 weeks later
    #148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

4k streaming is crap, doesn't matter if oled or plasma.

I don't know man, the nature stuff on Netflix looks great. Films too if they have been properly up scaled. I watched Lawrence of Arabia today and it looked amazing, however and I can't remember what film but it was from the 70's and looked like shit. I put the Plasma in the my basement studio and its a great picture u lose that glow with OLED. Plasma was the last of the glowing TV's. A hybrid of CRT and LCD, kinda. Now I have a giant 65"computer monitor basically with great black levels. I would have loved to have seen a 65" Plasma 4K TV. That LG 48" OLED gaming and computer monitor is gonna be tough to pass up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plasma-to-oled?tu=hazoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.