Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    1284 (resized).jpg
    8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 4 years ago

Just got an LG OLED (65") a few months ago...love it! Best picture I've ever seen. My Panasonic Plasma (same size) got moved to our second sitting room and my 4k Vizio (also same size) went to the basement (where the pins are). That Vizio replaced a 2004 Samsung DLP TV (62" ...that was still working). Couldn't give that thing away, so I had to toss it.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You didn't mention what type of room the set will be in. OLED is great if you can control the light, but if it's a really bright room with a lot of windows, you maybe better off going with one of the high end local dimming LEDs. They can produce a MUCH brighter picture. I recently swapped out a 60" Pioneer Elite plasma for a 65" Sony Z9F, and I absolutely love it. We often watch TV during the day, and our family room has a ton of windows. I'm amazed by how bright of a picture the Sony can put out. Dolby Vision looks amazing on it!

That's very true and a great point for people dealing with very bright rooms.

#101 4 years ago

I have a 4k 65" Vizio P series and a 65" LG OLED. The Vizio has a great picture...it can do both Dolby Vision and HDR+.......but the LG SMOKES IT! Best picture I've ever scene. Its ability to handle bright spots on a dark scene (like a star in space, or a window in a dark room) is unbelievable. We were watching Star Wars movies from D+ (which are all in 4k) and I could not believe what I was seeing. The remastered "Empire Strikes Back" looked incredible.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

What model LG is it? There are so many TVs on the market it makes my head spin to start trying to figure out which model is good.

All LG OLED's use the same panel. Some have faster processing...but that doesn't appear to affect the picture quality. I have a C8. The biggest difference between models appears to be the built in sound quality...which I could care less about since I don't use the built in speakers.

#108 4 years ago

Is there a brand/model of OLED tv that has solved the image burn in problem better then others?

LG is providing most if not all of the OLED panels. Their current models do a much better job than their older models. Don't know if it will ever be 100% avoidable in all circumstances...just like plasma.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

plasma is the best TV technology, with high-end plasmas being the best of the best. consumer preference towards lighter-weight, lower energy consumption, and much larger adoption of LCD technology in general killed them, but Plasma is unmatched.

IMHO OLED smashes even the best plasma's.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I've seen terrible artifacts with quick images on 4K tvs. Is this still an issue?

Totally depends on the quality of the broadcast. Any 4k set will have "artifacts" if the feed is crap. Most stuff looks good...feed it 4k content and it looks incredible...feed it crap and it could be hit or miss.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Well, that's the problem. Over the air broadcasts are not 4K. ESPN is not 4K. FoxSports isn't 4K.

Well as long as they are at least 720p or 1080 they should look good. You get artifacts from over the air content only when the signal is weak...which it often can be.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma I bought right after the announced the death of plasma. It's upstairs, so we only watch TV on it and there really isn't a reason for me to upgrade it due to the lack of 4K TV content.
    If I want to watch a movie, I just go downstairs to the theater.

Hmm...we get a ton of 4k content from Netflix, Amazon and D+. I dumped my satellite service and went to YouTube TV...saved a ton of money, so now those extra services are easier to swallow.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You are not comparing apples to apples
    Plasma hasn't been made in years and lacks recent developments like HDR

But that's part of the equation...Plasma is now "outdated" compared to OLED. OLED can also go "blacker" than even the best plasma's ever could.

What do you think of something like this...
    amazon.com link »
    It's a QLED tv. Samsung says QLED are not subject to screen burn in?

"QLED stands for Quantum Light-Emitting Diode. In non-geek-speak, that means a QLED TV is just like a regular LED TV, except it uses tiny nanoparticles called quantum dots to super-charge its brightness and color."

QLED is a fancy term for a LCD tv backlit by LED's. Is it better than standard LCD's...yes. Is it the same ballpark as OLED?...no.

3 weeks later
    #144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Again just my opinion, HDR, if you are watching blu ray 4k HDR.. then yes. If streaming HDR, believe it or not the plasma looks pretty damn good. I dont believe streaming HDR is good quality at all, lower bitrate crap.

Might depend on your speed? I've seen some amazing picture quality from D+ (on my LG OLED) with their 4k content...and yes I have 4k Blu-ray's as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plasma-to-oled?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.