Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    1284 (resized).jpg
    8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

I figure with all that's going on perfect time to drop 5k or so on a new TV. Now I currently own and love my Panasonic Plasma, It was their flagship Tv back in 2013/14. anyone else made this move and was it worth it? I'm looking at the Sony AG9 or the LG C9 series. maybe even going to a 77inch. Or theres the Samsung 82" Qled Q90 not OLED but not bad either. I watch a lot nature and space programs, man they look great so why upgrade? Maybe I'm missing something, like a pin that you could right off playing at a bar or at the distributer showroom buy damn at home in the right environment she shines. Lets hear some opinions.

#2 4 years ago

just beware, screen burn on some OLEDs is shocking.

#3 4 years ago

Yes, I made the switch from plasma to OLED and it was well worth it. The black levels and depth of color are absolutely amazing and easily surpass those on my old Panasonic plasma. Check out rtings.com for reviews.

Also, burn in really isn't an issue on the the newer OLED sets made over the past few years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

#4 4 years ago

Just bought a Sony 55 inch AG8. The picture is incredible.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, I made the switch from plasma to OLED and it was well worth it. The black levels and depth of color are absolutely amazing and easily surpass those on my old Panasonic plasma. Check out rtings.com for reviews.
    Also, burn in really isn't an issue on the the newer OLED sets made over the past few years.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

Which Panasonic? When we finish our new addition, I want to get a bigger screen in the family room. I’m thinking either a laser projector or an OLED since Panasonic isn’t making plasma any more. We currently have the last flagship model they made, and it is amazing

#6 4 years ago

I did not own a plasma set, but did switch from 10-year-old LCD to Sony OLED. Have owned OLED for about 7 months. I went with the Sony because I always had very good experience with the brand and 3 out of 4 of the e-geeks at the local Best Buys suggested that they liked the Sony better, saying it had a superior processor and their colors were more natural looking than LG, which tended to look a tiny bit brighter and more saturated. The 4th geek owned an LG OLED and he thought it was close enough to the Sony, that the lower price made it a better choice.

I still marvel at the picture almost every time I watch it, especially for sports. Only 2 minor downsides I can think of: 1) I swear I can now see blemishes in on-screen faces and can even spot makeup that attempted to cover them up, and 2) the built in audio (without soundbar or other) on the Sony is nothing great. I did not really check out the LG audio.

#7 4 years ago

.. And here I am, on a Sony HD TV that's 15 years old, and still chugging along beautifully.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Which Panasonic? When we finish our new addition, I want to get a bigger screen in the family room. I’m thinking either a laser projector or an OLED since Panasonic isn’t making plasma any more. We currently have the last flagship model they made, and it is amazing

I can't recall which the plasma model I had. Plasmas still look damn good but they unfortunately don't support 4K, HDR, and other benefits of the latest HDMI standards. I also noticed a substantial immediate difference in black levels after getting an LG OLED. Playing 4K HDR games, and other native 4K content (tons on Netflix) look absolutely amazing. If someone is not going to watch / play (games) 4K content I would stick with the high end plasma. If buying another set to compliment or replace it I would highly recommend one of the newer LG OLED models.

One interesting thing I heard about OLED's was from a BestBuy employee. While we were talking about OLED TV's he asked what type of set I was replacing. I said a plasma. He replied to me that he's noticed plasma TV owners primarily replacing their sets with OLED's as they tend to be the only sets that match or exceed plasma black levels.

#9 4 years ago

I had bad screen burn on my 65” LG OLED that wasn’t even 3 years old, my retailer had it back and gave me some credit towards the latest LG OLED which is better and has local dimming software to help stop screen burn for static images. Looked at other tv’s and nothing came close to OLED for me.
    Very happy with my new one, amazing picture.
    Pic of 2017 LG OLED

8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I figure with all that's going on perfect time to drop 5k or so on a new TV. Now I currently own and love my Panasonic Plasma, It was their flagship Tv back in 2013/14. anyone else made this move and was it worth it? I'm looking at the Sony AG9 or the LG C9 series. maybe even going to a 77inch. Or theres the Samsung 82" Qled Q90 not OLED but not bad either. I watch a lot nature and space programs, man they look great so why upgrade? Maybe I'm missing something, like a pin that you could right off playing at a bar or at the distributer showroom buy damn at home in the right environment she shines. Lets hear some opinions.

Hi. I had one of the last Pioneer 50” Plasmas and made the change to OLED about three years ago. Since then I have purchased a further 3 OLEDS. Some observations for you. From memory LG make all the OLED screens for ‘all’ the manufacturers. Samsung QLED is ‘just marketing’ by Samsung attempting to piggyback on the back of OLED marketing by duping some of the market into thinking QLED is a direct competitor to OLED, it’s not. It’s just a bright LCD screen. OLED is a completely different technology. All my OLED purchases have been LG. Once you have had one (they are amazing to look at) you will struggle to move away from them, and not just because of the picture. They come with a remote called the ‘magic remote’ and its the best remote I have ever used on a telly. It gives you a pointer on the screen which makes things remarkably simple to use and get to. Good luck with you purchase and I trust the above helps.

PS: No burn in issues for me and also very good for gaming, fast picture.

#11 4 years ago

Those plasmas were great. The OLEDs are even better. HDR and 4K (assuming you’ll be watching content that takes advantage, of course) are both nice upgrades, especially the HDR. And if you’re going to 77”, the 4K will be more noticeable too.

I’ve been very happy with my 55” 2016 LG OLED, haven’t kept up in the other manufacturers so I can’t say if Sony or Panasonic are a better choice these days. But in general, I think you’ll be pleased with the OLED upgrade.

Oh, and be sure to immediately turn off “motion smoothing” or whatever it’s called on the brand you buy, it’ll make your movies and TV shows look like shit. Luckily you can turn it off and enjoy perfect picture quality.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/

#12 4 years ago

We have an old HP plasma 42" about 15 years old and still going strong, even with the kids playing video games on it. I will miss it when its time to replace it.

#13 4 years ago

I’m still on a 2013 60” Panasonic plasma, which I think is the last year they were made. I do like the OLEDs. When it comes time to switch, there is one top priority for me and that is size. Whatever the display tech is, I am convinced that most of all bigger is better. 72” at least, but better would be 88” or 96”. I’m holding out on the 60” plasma for as long as possible in the hopes I can replace it with a high resolution monster behemoth. Better yet, where’s my TV that is the size of the entire wall?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

.. And here I am, on a Sony HD TV that's 15 years old, and still chugging along beautifully.

Me too, except mine just took a shit after 11 years. Thinking about ordering power supply bd. and fixing cause stores are probably closed. Sucks watching TV on a 24 in. screen.

#15 4 years ago

Just moved into a new house and went big in the basement with the Samsung Q90 82”. Looks incredible. Love having the single cable from the base to the TV. No need to run multiple HDMI through the wall. Picture is fantastic.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Me too, except mine just took a shit after 11 years. Thinking about ordering power supply bd. and fixing cause stores are probably closed. Sucks watching TV on a 24 in. screen.

Mine is a Bravia, 44" from May of 2005. Yeah, it's dimmer now, but it chugs. I am interested in finally replacing it with a larger one I can mount in the wall, which is why I'm here, taking in knowledge.

#17 4 years ago

We replaced a Panasonic plasma TV with an LG OLED earlier in the year. I tried LCD at first but the difference in color and brightness as you moved around the room drove me nuts. As others mentioned you'll probably want to turn off the motion smoothing or at least scale it way back. Black levels are unreal. If there is a long black cut scene in something you're watching you may think the TV turned off.

The only thing I don't like is watching sports on it. It doesn't handle motion as well plasma does. If you turn on some of the motion controls the movement looks better but fast motion will look odd. When watching football with the motion controls on the ball will disappear when thrown. It's like the algorithm can't handle the speed of the ball and doesn't insert it into the additional frames it's adding to smooth the appearance. If you go deep into the video settings you can turn on a setting that adds black frames to help with motion but then all your settings are darker. I won't replace my other plasma until the technology for handling motion is better.

#18 4 years ago

I made my first switch from a Panasonic Elite a couple years a go, and have no regrets + the kids are happy as the they got the Panasonic in their play room I just recently purchased another 77" Sony Oled and its simply awesome. To date I haven't seen any burn in issues.

#19 4 years ago

I'm still using a 10 year old 58 Panasonic plasma. I love it but it uses alot of power. The back says 600w

#20 4 years ago

Love my LG oled

#21 4 years ago

Mitch i use my plasma in the bedroom for supplementel heating in the winter.

#22 4 years ago

I’m still rocking a 58inch Panasonic plasma as well... ahh that beautiful 720p resolution..... no scaling issues with this baby while watching Comcast.

When and if it dies.... I would go OLED.

Side note: I bought a Vizio M 65 inch set for $650 during the holidays last year and it’s honestly incredible how much tv you can get now.... there are certainly better... but wow.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I am convinced that most of all bigger is better. 72” at least, but better would be 88” or 96”. I’m holding out on the 60” plasma for as long as possible in the hopes I can replace it with a high resolution monster behemoth. Better yet, where’s my TV that is the size of the entire wall?

Yeah, that's why I'm eyeing that 82 Qled. It seems wrong to upgrade to just another 65", then again I could go 77" OLED. I have the best problems ever.

#24 4 years ago

Grabbed an LG C9 last year and super happy with it. Seemed to be the best combo of quality / price out there. And yes, the magic remote is great for controlling it. Big thumbs up.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah, that's why I'm eyeing that 82 Qled. It seems wrong to upgrade to just another 65", then again I could go 77" OLED. I have the best problems ever.

I went with the Sony 77 Master OLED TV....a little pricey, but no regrets....not sure its any better than the LG 77

#26 4 years ago

I bought the 65" LG OLED about 30 months ago. Added a SONOS sound system. Love them both!!!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

I’m still rocking a 58inch Panasonic plasma as well... ahh that beautiful 720p resolution..... no scaling issues with this baby while watching Comcast.
    Side note: I bought a Vizio M 65 inch set for $650 during the holidays last year and it’s honestly incredible how much tv you can get now.... there are certainly better... but wow.

I just retired mine in January, it was made in 2006. As mentioned above it generates a lot of heat.

Was planning to move it to our 2nd house but that thing was heavy! No way was I going to mount it up on a wall again.

Ended up selling it on CL for 50$, which was way better than paying someone 50 to Carry it away.

I bought a 75” lg lcd which was such an upgrade from the 720 I didn’t feel the need to spend the $4K extra for OLED.

#28 4 years ago

I have both...bought an LG OLED about 4 years back.....amazing. I get excited to see space.sceens......the colors are vibrant and perfect back really immerses you. They get a little better and cheaper each year.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

The only thing I don't like is watching sports on it. It doesn't handle motion as well plasma does. If you turn on some of the motion controls the movement looks better but fast motion will look odd. When watching football with the motion controls on the ball will disappear when thrown. It's like the algorithm can't handle the speed of the ball and doesn't insert it into the additional frames it's adding to smooth the appearance. If you go deep into the video settings you can turn on a setting that adds black frames to help with motion but then all your settings are darker. I won't replace my other plasma until the technology for handling motion is better.

Is this an issue with most OLED's? Viewing angle, black levels, and smoothing were the reasons I never seriously considered a LCD/LED set. It seems OLED has solved the black level problem. How are they with viewing angles?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Wow my 58 plasma is 1080

#31 4 years ago

I have a Panasonic VT60. Hope it runs for another 10 years. I'm in the minority in that I love 3D and have amassed a decent collection of 3D Blu Rays. How much do you think it would cost a manufacturer to include that in a new set? The industry would definitely like to pretend that 3D never existed, but you could be the only one in the industry to have that tech for someone who still wants it. I can't possibly be the only one.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I have a Panasonic VT60. Hope it runs for another 10 years. I'm in the minority in that I love 3D and have amassed a decent collection of 3D Blu Rays. How much do you think it would cost a manufacturer to include that in a new set? The industry would definitely like to pretend that 3D never existed, but you could be the only one in the industry to have that tech for someone who still wants it. I can't possibly be the only one.

We have the ZT60 which is more or less the same set; I rarely break out the 3D any more but you can always buy an add-on box (I believe Mitsubishi makes some) that goes between the bluray and the tv. No need for built-in 3D

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We have the ZT60 which is more or less the same set; I rarely break out the 3D any more but you can always buy an add-on box (I believe Mitsubishi makes some) that goes between the bluray and the tv. No need for built-in 3D

Really? I thought that the Mitsubishi transmitter was made for their early "3D 'Ready'" sets. But they work in newer tv's too or are you talking about something totally different?

#34 4 years ago

I got a great deal on an LG 65" C9 OLED at Vision electronics (Canadian outlet). I had to haggle a bit, and it wasn't in stock. It was ordered and I had to wait 6 weeks, but the price was worth it. The picture is fantastic. Contrast ratio was important to me, and the OLED wins hands down. Couldn't be happier. I used to view my JVC Projector that has great contrast ratio, but now I'm watching the TV more. Remember, the stores have the settings all jacked up for viewing. It sounds like you've already done your homework. Good luck.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:Yeah, that's why I'm eyeing that 82 Qled. It seems wrong to upgrade to just another 65....

I'm in the same boat as you inching towards a new TV. I ordered 2 60" plasmas right when they were phased out, they're great, but 60" isnt cutting it anymore.

#36 4 years ago

LG C9 hands down. Only problem now is that i have to use my heat more in the basement in the wintertime. My old Pioneer plasma drew so much power and out out so much heat!! Don’t miss it at all...

#37 4 years ago

I've owned plasma, OLED, and projectors. While OLED achieves perfect blacks, and is amazing, there is nothing like a good projector if you have the space and can control the ambient lighting. Watching movies on 150inches at home with a good sound system is better imo than going to the movie theater.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm eyeing that 82 Qled.

Check them out carefully, I haven’t spent a ton of time researching but pretty much everyone agrees that QLED is a step up from LED, but still can’t match OLED black levels. If you’re coming from a primo plasma, you’ll be more likely to notice that issue.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I went with the Sony 77 Master OLED TV....a little pricey, but no regrets....not sure its any better than the LG 77

I currently have the Samsung flagship plasma, PN64F8500. On par with the Panasonic VT60/ZT60. I’ve been thinking of getting the 77 oled for the last year or so. Almost bought the LG C8. Then decided to wait. When I finally commit to upgrading, I’m going with the Sony 77 master oled. The picture is incredible. Sony processing seems to be better than LG producing a clearer picture even though they have the same panel.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Really? I thought that the Mitsubishi transmitter was made for their early "3D 'Ready'" sets. But they work in newer tv's too or are you talking about something totally different?

You're right - the Mitsubishi box I was thinking of was for the DLP we used to have. There was a product called the "3D Video Wizard" that would essentially do the same thing for regular TVs - it used polarized lenses as far as I can tell. But they discontinued it! So .. nevermind. There do appear to be 3D projectors with active lenses still available.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Check them out carefully, I haven’t spent a ton of time researching but pretty much everyone agrees that QLED is a step up from LED, but still can’t match OLED black levels. If you’re coming from a primo plasma, you’ll be more likely to notice that issue.

+1. QLED has great marketing but not same picture as OLED. However for the really big sizes I suspect you would save some good coins with QLED.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

for the really big sizes I suspect you would save some good coins with QLED.

Good point, if you’re looking at jumbotron sizing, cost/benefit becomes more of a concern.

#43 4 years ago

Yes Qled is a bit of a gimmick piggy backing off Oled, but I have a 75 inch Samsung Qled because my viewing room is bright as hell. The Samsung is bright as hell also. It also has "moth eye" if you believe that is a real thing. Everybody's situation is different.

#44 4 years ago

Nice thread Wolfgang. My beloved 65" Samsung plasma shit the bed a couple months ago. It's 10 years old, but I swear, it's the nicest picture of all our sets. 4k is the only set I've seen that looks better.I'd like to try my hand at fixing the boards, as they're only like $30.
    Anyone ever fix their TV boards?

#45 4 years ago

My 10 year old Epson projector is also limping along. I think the bulbs are around $500, so im just gonna upgrade that one. Anybody have a projector they really love?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

LG C9 hands down. Only problem now is that i have to use my heat more in the basement in the wintertime. My old Pioneer plasma drew so much power and out out so much heat!! Don’t miss it at all...

Easily one of the best out there currently from a cost/ value standpoint.

Skip QLED...

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

My 10 year old Epson projector is also limping along. I think the bulbs are around $500, so im just gonna upgrade that one. Anybody have a projector they really love?

JVC NX5

#48 4 years ago

Just got an LG OLED (65") a few months ago...love it! Best picture I've ever seen. My Panasonic Plasma (same size) got moved to our second sitting room and my 4k Vizio (also same size) went to the basement (where the pins are). That Vizio replaced a 2004 Samsung DLP TV (62" ...that was still working). Couldn't give that thing away, so I had to toss it.

#49 4 years ago

I currently have a 60 inch pioneer elite which i love but it uses alot of energy and started to fade the brightness when its on for a long time.......great thread for research

#50 4 years ago

Switched from my pioneer Kuro elite plasma to a LG OLED. As good as that plasma was which was incredible, the LG stomps it in dark scenes. Watching Star trek next generation on blue ray or any other show/movie in outer space with the stars is beyond incredible. Get the OLED and don't look back.

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plasma-to-oled?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.