New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 265121)

Plasma to OLED

By Hazoff

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    1284 (resized).jpg
    8B965A5B-D8DD-477F-8B96-74643A58CA20 (resized).jpeg

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 months ago

I have a 4k 65" Vizio P series and a 65" LG OLED. The Vizio has a great picture...it can do both Dolby Vision and HDR+.......but the LG SMOKES IT! Best picture I've ever scene. Its ability to handle bright spots on a dark scene (like a star in space, or a window in a dark room) is unbelievable. We were watching Star Wars movies from D+ (which are all in 4k) and I could not believe what I was seeing. The remastered "Empire Strikes Back" looked incredible.

#102 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I have a 4k 65" Vizio P series and a 65" LG OLED. The Vizio has a great picture...it can do both Dolby Vision and HDR+.......but the LG SMOKES IT! Best picture I've ever scene. Its ability to handle bright spots on a dark scene (like a star in space, or a window in a dark room) is unbelievable. We were watching Star Wars movies from D+ (which are all in 4k) and I could not believe what I was seeing. The remastered "Empire Strikes Back" looked incredible.

What model LG is it? There are so many TVs on the market it makes my head spin to start trying to figure out which model is good.

#103 6 months ago

I think the models you will see most is B9 and C9. If you see a B8 or C8 that is last year's model. There is an E series as well that is much more high end.

I believe the panels are the same. C9 has a better processor, a bigger stand and I think the audio is better.... look at the attached link for all you could need.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-lg-b9/802/915.

#104 6 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

What model LG is it? There are so many TVs on the market it makes my head spin to start trying to figure out which model is good.

All LG OLED's use the same panel. Some have faster processing...but that doesn't appear to affect the picture quality. I have a C8. The biggest difference between models appears to be the built in sound quality...which I could care less about since I don't use the built in speakers.

#105 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Its ability to handle bright spots on a dark scene (like a star in space, or a window in a dark room) is unbelievable.

This is where OLEDs really shine. Even the best FALD sets have a hard time displaying stuff like this without some blooming.

#106 6 months ago

Shes warmed up, I've been watching some 4K stuff even just upscaled old school stuff and its quite breath taking I must say. Way different than the plasma picture, I decided to run a test and switch back to the plasma. That move solidified any doubts about the OLED.

#107 6 months ago

Is there a brand/model of OLED tv that has solved the image burn in problem better then others?

#108 6 months ago

Is there a brand/model of OLED tv that has solved the image burn in problem better then others?

LG is providing most if not all of the OLED panels. Their current models do a much better job than their older models. Don't know if it will ever be 100% avoidable in all circumstances...just like plasma.

#109 6 months ago

plasma is the best TV technology, with high-end plasmas being the best of the best. consumer preference towards lighter-weight, lower energy consumption, and much larger adoption of LCD technology in general killed them, but Plasma is unmatched.

#110 6 months ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

plasma is the best TV technology, with high-end plasmas being the best of the best. consumer preference towards lighter-weight, lower energy consumption, and much larger adoption of LCD technology in general killed them, but Plasma is unmatched.

IMHO OLED smashes even the best plasma's.

#111 6 months ago

I have a top of the line Samsung I bought about 5 years ago. It is NOT 4K. 4K was just coming out then and the premium for those sets didn't make sense. The TV has the annoying artifact that certain colors in some scenes (reds are common) will flicker. Does this artifact still occur with OLEDs? And I haven't pulled the trigger on an OLED because I primarily watch sports - basketball and football. I've seen terrible artifacts with quick images on 4K tvs. Is this still an issue? Is there a minimum refresh rate to get rid of the issue?

Lots of questions, but I figure folks have a bit more time to possibly provide answers right now. Thanks!

#112 6 months ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I've seen terrible artifacts with quick images on 4K tvs. Is this still an issue?

Totally depends on the quality of the broadcast. Any 4k set will have "artifacts" if the feed is crap. Most stuff looks good...feed it 4k content and it looks incredible...feed it crap and it could be hit or miss.

#113 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Totally depends on the quality of the broadcast. Any 4k set will have "artifacts" if the feed is crap. Most stuff looks good...feed it 4k content and it looks incredible...feed it crap and it could be hit or miss.

Well, that's the problem. Over the air broadcasts are not 4K. ESPN is not 4K. FoxSports isn't 4K.

#114 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh I forgot, one thing is for sure to you Plasma owners out there thinking about a change. Picture is great, really is but its an LED. best u can buy but an LED. I can't help but feel like I'm watching everything on a giant computer monitor, the glow is gone.

Yep. Gotta have a TV where the pixels themselves generate the light, ala Plasma, OLED. There's something lifeless about LED/LCD sets in comparison.

#115 6 months ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Well, that's the problem. Over the air broadcasts are not 4K. ESPN is not 4K. FoxSports isn't 4K.

Well as long as they are at least 720p or 1080 they should look good. You get artifacts from over the air content only when the signal is weak...which it often can be.

#116 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I'm very sensitive to the soap opera effect (some people don't notice it), which plasma does not suffer from. With OLEDs you still have to choose between either the soap opera effect or motion blur, with plasma you don't. I have yet to see an OLED TV that doesn't have this issue. Indeed, I haven't even seen a manufacturer put a dedicated button to switch motion smoothing on/off on the remote yet.

#117 6 months ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

I'm very sensitive to the soap opera effect (some people don't notice it), which plasma does not suffer from. With OLEDs you still have to choose between either the soap opera effect or motion blur, with plasma you don't. I have yet to see an OLED TV that doesn't have this issue. Indeed, I haven't even seen a manufacturer put a dedicated button to switch motion smoothing on/off on the remote yet.

I hate the soap opera effect, and have smoothing permanently off on my set. I haven’t notice motion blur to be an issue watching sports, but maybe I’m less sensitive to it.

Regardless, I’d prefer the manufacturers to turn off smoothing by default, and would be fine having a button on the remote to toggle it.

#118 6 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I hate the soap opera effect, and have smoothing permanently off on my set. I haven’t notice motion blur to be an issue watching sports, but maybe I’m less sensitive to it.
    Regardless, I’d prefer the manufacturers to turn off smoothing by default, and would be fine having a button on the remote to toggle it.

I'm with ya. If I see the fast motion soap opera effect setting enabled on a family members TV I'll turn it off when they are not looking lol. When it comes to movies I prefer to live at 24fps.

#119 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

After a couple days I would agree OLED is a better picture overall but Plasma did some stuff better. I've lost the glow man, the glow. Same thing happened when I moved from CRT monitors to LCD for my PC. Sharper and better colors but the Glow was gone. I got over it and same thing applies here. You know I just realized what a 1st world problem dickhead I am. There's a virus going around, 3rd world starvation and I've lost my giant TV glow, good times.

#120 6 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Mine is completely dead, fuse still good. I'm thinking of buying power supply bd. for it. There's only a couple bds. in the back.
    Hate to just toss TV

Power supply fixed it!! I'm a happy camper once again and cost less than 100 bucks!!

#121 6 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The relevant standards bodies have finally listened to the content producers on this matter and all sanctioned tvs will sport "Filmmaker Mode" in the future which should make watching movies with suitable settings easier.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-dga-asc-endorse-filmmaker-mode-setting-new-tvs-1267374

#122 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

After a couple days I would agree OLED is a better picture overall but Plasma did some stuff better. I've lost the glow man, the glow. Same thing happened when I moved from CRT monitors to LCD for my PC. Sharper and better colors but the Glow was gone. I got over it and same thing applies here. You know I just realized what a 1st world problem dickhead I am. There's a virus going around, 3rd world starvation and I've lost my giant TV glow, good times.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I would expect an OLED set to have a very similar "glow". I don't own any myself as of yet, still holding on to my Panny Plasma.

#123 6 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Power supply fixed it!! I'm a happy camper once again and cost less than 100 bucks!!

Sweet! There's something *so* satisfying about fixing a consumer product that most people would just throw away without a second thought. Congrats!

#124 6 months ago

A couple of years ago I thought my relationship with Plasma was over. I had a phantom issue causing one of my plasma sets to turn off and on repeatedly. It turns out I just had to replace a capacitor on the board. Been good as new ever since.

Perhaps at some point, the newer technology will be decidedly better. But for now, my plasma picture is still awesome, and the comments here aren't instilling any dire need to upgrade to OLED.

I'm happy to wait for micro led.

#125 6 months ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I would expect an OLED set to have a very similar "glow". I don't own any myself as of yet, still holding on to my Panny Plasma.

Nope, when the plasma screen in showing "black" there is a little bit of a dark grey glow from it. When an OLED is showing black, it looks like the TV is off. In a dark room it looks pretty cool when watching an old TV show. You don't see the bars on the side. . just the picture. I just rehooked up my Kuro Elite in the front room to play some old school video games. . .I couldn't believe how spoiled I've gotten with the OLEDs picture. I do miss the glow of a CRT monitor though. LCDs are just so flat.

#126 6 months ago

I'm watching Cosmic Vistas right now on Smithsonian, great show. Its looks pretty good but.... Here's my final take on this. If ur a cable box type fella then almost all of the content is 1080 and an upgrade from a good plasma isn't going to blown ur mind in fact on many channels its worse. But once u watch some 4K stuff, native with the settings right, yeah its surreal. I still think my eyes are adjusting to all this.

#127 6 months ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

where’s my TV that is the size of the entire wall?

This is why the Micro Led panels are exciting. U could buy 2 a year and over five years turn into a wall 200" tv. I don't enough about it but it is modular.

#128 6 months ago

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma I bought right after the announced the death of plasma. It's upstairs, so we only watch TV on it and there really isn't a reason for me to upgrade it due to the lack of 4K TV content.

If I want to watch a movie, I just go downstairs to the theater.

#129 6 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma I bought right after the announced the death of plasma. It's upstairs, so we only watch TV on it and there really isn't a reason for me to upgrade it due to the lack of 4K TV content.
    If I want to watch a movie, I just go downstairs to the theater.

Hmm...we get a ton of 4k content from Netflix, Amazon and D+. I dumped my satellite service and went to YouTube TV...saved a ton of money, so now those extra services are easier to swallow.

#130 6 months ago

What do you think of something like this...

amazon.com link »

It's a QLED tv. Samsung says QLED are not subject to screen burn in?

#131 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

This is why the Micro Led panels are exciting. U could buy 2 a year and over five years turn into a wall 200" tv. I don't enough about it but it is modular.

In digital signage world (where I live) we do the same thing w oled technology. Micro led is the most amazing image I've seen to date, (but serious coin, and unobtanium in latest state). Had a curved (wallpaper) LG oled display quoted for a hospital lobby (think 4x 75" or something). W required processing, came in at a cool $250K.

Nothing currently touches latest LG oled, just is what it is. You may not like the OS or processing and prefer a boutique brand for that reason (at substantial cost difference) but as far as the display itself? Nope.

#132 6 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You are not comparing apples to apples
    Plasma hasn't been made in years and lacks recent developments like HDR

#133 6 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You are not comparing apples to apples
    Plasma hasn't been made in years and lacks recent developments like HDR

But that's part of the equation...Plasma is now "outdated" compared to OLED. OLED can also go "blacker" than even the best plasma's ever could.

What do you think of something like this...
    amazon.com link »
    It's a QLED tv. Samsung says QLED are not subject to screen burn in?

"QLED stands for Quantum Light-Emitting Diode. In non-geek-speak, that means a QLED TV is just like a regular LED TV, except it uses tiny nanoparticles called quantum dots to super-charge its brightness and color."

QLED is a fancy term for a LCD tv backlit by LED's. Is it better than standard LCD's...yes. Is it the same ballpark as OLED?...no.

#134 6 months ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

The relevant standards bodies have finally listened to the content producers on this matter and all sanctioned tvs will sport "Filmmaker Mode" in the future which should make watching movies with suitable settings easier.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-dga-asc-endorse-filmmaker-mode-setting-new-tvs-1267374

Interesting. How will I know - when shopping - that a potential purchase has the mode? Guess i'll have to google the model or some such?

#135 6 months ago

Final post for me.
    Its over.
    I will always have a love for plasma TV's and the glow is gone but damn what a picture on this OLED. Its just ridiculous. Seems like the cable stuff has to take a day to warm up a little, looking great. The only gripe is I need to adjust the brightness quite a bit from channel to channel, man when its a bright scene its bright, OLEDs being too dark is crap. Anyway my model is on sale for 3K CAD so probably 2299 or so in the states. Sony AG8 65" can't go wrong. Good day to u kind sirs, I said good day.

2 weeks later
    #137 5 months ago

If you haven’t already purchased, buy the LG OLED. The remote control experience is way better on the LGs.

#138 5 months ago
    Quoted from HeadNZ:

If you haven’t already purchased, buy the LG OLED. The remote control experience is way better on the LGs.

Who buys a TV based on remote control experience?

#139 5 months ago

I recently got a 65zt60 plasma (drove 4 hours to get it) and compared it to my 77 " LG G6P oled. Picture is about the same with 1080p content. The only thing that makes Oled better then plasma, in my opinion, is 4k blu ray content, and gaming. 4k streaming is crap, doesn't matter if oled or plasma. Gaming is much better on OLED due to better response time and brightness. Kept going back and fourth back and fourth, so decided to give plasma to my dad and keep oled. If you have a good plasma and are happy with it, and you dont game, I dont think going to OLED will be anything "mind boggling"

Oh and the only other reason I kept Oled over plasma is 3d. The 3d with passive glasses on the OLED is crazy good. Amazing.

Are u in Canada? Get the Panasonic GZ, isnt that the best OLED that some hollywood creators use? We cant get it in USA

#140 5 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I recently got a 65zt60 plasma (drove 4 hours to get it) and compared it to my 77 " LG G6P oled. Picture is about the same with 1080p content. The only thing that makes Oled better then plasma, in my opinion, is 4k blu ray content, and gaming. 4k streaming is crap, doesn't matter if oled or plasma. Gaming is much better on OLED due to better response time and brightness. Kept going back and fourth back and fourth, so decided to give plasma to my dad and keep oled. If you have a good plasma and are happy with it, and you dont game, I dont think going to OLED will be anything "mind boggling"
    Oh and the only other reason I kept Oled over plasma is 3d. The 3d with passive glasses on the OLED is crazy good. Amazing.
    Are u in Canada? Get the Panasonic GZ, isnt that the best OLED that some hollywood creators use? We cant get it in USA

Thanks, that is a good analysis. Anecdotal to be sure, but you seem to approach it from a measured and neutral way.

I’m gonna just keep on with my Panasonic plasma. The longer it keeps running and we are enjoying it, the bigger, better, and cheaper the OLEDs will get, so I can’t lose. One day I’ll get that 100” 4K OLED for $1500. Or maybe it will be 8k who knows.

#141 5 months ago

Who buys a TV based on remote control experience?

Me! LG make all the panels for the other manufacturers anyway. And yes, the LG magic remote is that good.

#142 5 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

It's HDR that makes a huge difference

#143 5 months ago

It's HDR that makes a huge difference

Again just my opinion, HDR, if you are watching blu ray 4k HDR.. then yes. If streaming HDR, believe it or not the plasma looks pretty damn good. I dont believe streaming HDR is good quality at all, lower bitrate crap.

#144 5 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Again just my opinion, HDR, if you are watching blu ray 4k HDR.. then yes. If streaming HDR, believe it or not the plasma looks pretty damn good. I dont believe streaming HDR is good quality at all, lower bitrate crap.

Might depend on your speed? I've seen some amazing picture quality from D+ (on my LG OLED) with their 4k content...and yes I have 4k Blu-ray's as well.

#145 5 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Might depend on your speed? I've seen some amazing picture quality from D+ (on my LG OLED) with their 4k content...and yes I have 4k Blu-ray's as well.

Yeah ur probably
    Right

#146 5 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Agreed. So long as the gigabit internet is humming along, Netflix and Disney+ look pretty amazing in 4K HDR. 4K discs are still consistently the best quality though.

#147 5 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Agreed. So long as the gigabit internet is humming along, Netflix and Disney+ look pretty amazing in 4K HDR. 4K discs are still consistently the best quality though.

HDR actually doesn't require much additional bandwidth at all. It's mostly meta data that's interpreted by your display. If you have bandwidth issues, it will reduce the resolution, but not HDR.

3 weeks later
    #148 5 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

4k streaming is crap, doesn't matter if oled or plasma.

I don't know man, the nature stuff on Netflix looks great. Films too if they have been properly up scaled. I watched Lawrence of Arabia today and it looked amazing, however and I can't remember what film but it was from the 70's and looked like shit. I put the Plasma in the my basement studio and its a great picture u lose that glow with OLED. Plasma was the last of the glowing TV's. A hybrid of CRT and LCD, kinda. Now I have a giant 65"computer monitor basically with great black levels. I would have loved to have seen a 65" Plasma 4K TV. That LG 48" OLED gaming and computer monitor is gonna be tough to pass up.

1 week later
    #149 4 months ago

Whatever TV you end up going with highly recommend this star projector, didnt need to spend thousands on fiber optic star system. Could be used in the pinball room too, looks awesome.

IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    #150 4 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Whatever TV you end up going with highly recommend this star projector, didnt need to spend thousands on fiber optic star system. Could be used in the pinball room too, looks awesome.[quoted image]

Looks cool. What is it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 499.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    £ 50.00
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside