5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by b_koenig
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

powwal_WallWart.jpg
    images.jpg
    images.jpg
    images.jpg
    305743.300x300.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Have been wondering where the "plasma pop" bumpers are sold and if they can be used to replace other pop bumpers...have seen them in some nice custom pins online but not for sale anywhere i can find.

#2 5 years ago

They used to sell them at all the Chinese sites like Meritline, but they seem to be no longer available except for big 13"+ ones.

http://www.meritline.com/portable-blue-light-plasma-plate-black-white---p-85674.aspx

#3 5 years ago

Have never seen that before.

Quoted from oropuro:

have seen them in some nice custom pins online

Any links to pins using them?

#4 5 years ago

I believe this is the first guy to use them, but who knows who did it first....?

#6 5 years ago

they dont make them standard size of a pop huh? seemed like a good one for iron man or transformers

#7 5 years ago

The Meritline ones used to be 2.75", but they have not had them in many months.

#8 5 years ago

Now if I could just find a color other then blue? Those are dope

#9 5 years ago

seen green and purple and red....would love a yellow and red for Iron man...what game you looking to put them on?

Quoted from Iamdarras:Now if I could just find a color other then blue? Those are dope

#10 5 years ago

I need yellow red and blue !

#11 5 years ago

305743.300x300.jpg images.jpg

#12 5 years ago

images.jpg

#13 5 years ago

sweet, would they interface with game correctly if added in place of light in bumpers maybe speaker covers?

#14 5 years ago

They react to sound if you set them up that way.

#15 5 years ago

Just do a search for "pocket plasma" and they will come up, also found some on ebay.

#16 5 years ago

images.jpg

#17 5 years ago

would they be easy to wire in power instead of battery? or set ensitivity on these?

#18 5 years ago

The small ones run on 3 volts, the larger 4.5v.

#20 5 years ago

I've been thinking about adding these to a machine. I'm guessing that the best way to wire these in would be to use one of these?

ebay.com link » New High Quality Compact Linear Dc Power Supply 3 4 5 6 7 5 9 12 V 2 Amps

#21 5 years ago

Or just a simple voltage divider on your GI circuit.

#22 5 years ago

You need to isolate those plasmas from the ground of the rest of the game.

Many who have used them have found that they throw interference that makes the CPU freak out.

Use a wall wart in the service outlet, rather than tie into the existing 5v.

#23 5 years ago

A "wall wart" power supply is a transformer that isolates the output from the input.

The "service outlet" is a electrical plug inside most cabinets that you plug in a soldering iron or trouble light while working with the playfield up.

powwal_WallWart.jpg

#24 5 years ago

Ya, I understood the service outlet part when I PM'ed you. But the smaller ones for pop bumpers run on 3 volts. The smallest "Wall Wart" (I was unfamiliar with this term when I PM'ed) that I found is a 5 volt. So again, my question - Wouldn't this work best since its adjustable to 3 volt?

ebay.com link

#25 5 years ago

If it supplies isolation, then it is a good choice.

I could not tell for sure from the description.

#26 5 years ago

so not and easy upgrade....dang it

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

so not and easy upgrade....dang it

If you had one on hand, you could test with your meter.

Email the seller, or go buy a wall wart at Kmart.

#28 5 years ago

I dug through a box of wires and plugs from various elsctronics in my garage and found a 3 volt "Wall Wart." I guess I'm in business. I also picked up 3 2.75 plasma discs. I'll play around with it and see what I can do. I'll need to get just the discs off of the battery unit on each piece. This shouldn't be too hard. Then I'll wire them in series and see if they'll work for me. I think they might look cool on my Tron when I get it later this month.

#29 5 years ago

By the way, thanks for the help!

#30 5 years ago

Pics when yer done!

#31 5 years ago

I'm going to play with them first to see if I can get them to look good after chopping off the basster cases (If they won't just slide off). Then I'll have to wait for my Tron to get here. I'm kinda 50/50 on whether these will work and whether they'll look good in my machine. I'll post when it all comes together and what I could/couldn't do.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from b_koenig:

Then I'll wire them in series

You mean in parallel?

All the + to the Wart's + and all the - to the Wart's -, yes?

#33 5 years ago

Ya, that's what I mean. Thanks again for your knowledge!

#34 5 years ago

Warning -- Some wall warts are so horrendously bad at providing a clean and guarenteed voltage. Thats why the devices they connect to will have a voltage regulator inside to ensure that the voltage doesn't peak incorrectly.

The older "heavy" ones are simply a 1:10 (12 V), 1:20 (6V), etc... transformer winding with a simple diode providing half wave rectifiction to DC power. Any slight change in incoming voltage directly affects output voltage, and any change in amp draw affects the voltage provided as well. These will definitely want to be fed through some smoother circuitry. In the case of 5V, a couple capacitors and LM7805 regulator transistor added to the wart will provide a clean 5V output. There are regulators available in the 3.3V range too. Then you don't have to fear of slight spikes taking out the connected items.

The newer ones that weigh almost nothing, half the size or slender, are actually cheap switch-mode transformers inside. A high frequency tiny transformer, some driving transistors and other circuitry to convert the power. They may be better able to provide a clean(er) source of power; but at the cost of "cheap import" quality components.

#35 5 years ago

Very nice !
    Do I understand it the right way ... the bucket ones are too big for a popbumper, only the 3 Volt smaller ones fit perfectly as popbumber-cap ?!

Thanks !
    Tom

#36 5 years ago

Expanding on wise words of Pac-Fan...

If you want a wall wart that holds it's voltage no matter what is supplied at the 110v side, the key word is REGULATED.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-10/1-AMP-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-w/SELECTABLE-OUTPUT/1.html

Switching power supplies are usually a great choice, but there are some switchers that are not regulated; beware.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Do I understand it the right way ... the bucket ones are too big for a popbumper, only the 3 Volt smaller ones fit perfectly as popbumber-cap ?!

Gottlieb pop bodies are larger than B/W; might help broaden your plasma choice.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumpb.htm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.00
    Electronics
    Iron Transfer LLC
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside