(Topic ID: 193487)

PLASMA POP BUMPERS in production, testers wanted.

By Litedpinballmods

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180120_141450 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170907_184131 (resized).jpg
    20170907_184044_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_2437 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2436 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2435 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2434 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2433 (resized).JPG
    20170822_202044 (resized).jpg
    20170822_202044 (resized).jpg
    20170822_202200 (resized).jpg
    ScaredStiff-06 (resized).jpg
    5.5 x 2.1 splitter (resized).jpg
    plasma above plastic (resized).jpg
    plasma kit (resized).jpg
    plasma ready to work (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider litedpinballmods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Lightedpinballmods.com have been play testing our Plasma Pop Bumpers for over 9 months. It’s time to start putting them in other games.

We will be selling a few of our Plasma Pop Bumpers at half price ($49.99 each) to people that are willing to purchase, install and send us some pictures and video. We are only going to make this offer once per game. The games listed below are no longer available. The initial cost would be $99.99 per plasma with a rebate of $50 per plasma when we receive pictures and video.

Games no longer available to test:
    Twilight Zone
    The Addams Family
    Star Wars-Data East

The plasmas are 3” standard sized pop bumpers that fit in all major manufactured games and most minor manufactures. They are a little taller than standard pop bumpers, requiring nearly 3/8” in clearance. They have 3 settings; always on, sound activated or turn on and off as your original pop bumper do. Because we use a mechanical relay, there is a little clicking sound, but this can be muffled (these videos are with the glass off). The exception is the Stern Spike games which the only options are always on and sound activated.

The kit comes with everything you will need to install your pop bumper. You will replace your existing light, body and cap. If you are experienced you could get these done in about 30 minutes each. No permanent changes to your game. These are powered from your service outlet.

The plasmas are difficult to make. Each takes up to 2 ½ hours of labor which includes over a week of production time and nearly $40 in materials. For this reason, the price will not drop.

The following are pictures and videos of our Plasma Pop Bumpers in action;

Twilight Zone; set to turn on and off as the regular pop bumpers in the game were designed. These are the crown top design.

Metallica; set to turn on and off as the regular pop bumpers in the game were designed. These are the flat top design.

The Addams Family; set to always on. The 4 front Plasma Pop Bumpers use the crown design, the back red bumper that is under the ramp uses the flat top design which saves 1/8” in height.

Star Wars, Data East; are set to always on.

Color selection: We have red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, purple, black (not as focused as other colors) and rainbow.

Dan

0714171759g_resized (resized).jpg0714171759g_resized (resized).jpg
    0714171759h_resized (resized).jpg0714171759h_resized (resized).jpg
    0626171918b (resized).jpg0626171918b (resized).jpg
    0626171918d (resized).jpg0626171918d (resized).jpg
    plasma 3 (resized).jpgplasma 3 (resized).jpg
    plasma side 2 (resized).jpgplasma side 2 (resized).jpg
    0714171907d_resized (resized).jpg0714171907d_resized (resized).jpg
    0714171909b_resized (resized).jpg0714171909b_resized (resized).jpg
    plasma ready to work (resized).jpgplasma ready to work (resized).jpg
    plasma kit (resized).jpgplasma kit (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Games Plasma Pop Bumpers are in (I will update this page):
    Star Wars - Data East
    The Addams Family
    Twilight Zone
    Matallica

As I am talking to people about specific games, I am giving them first shot at using the promotion. These titles are currently off the promotion, but if the buyer does not decide to purchase, these games may become available for the promotion again:
    Black Knight 2000
    AC/DC
    Star Trek, Stern
    Haunted House
    Iron Man

Game that Plasma Pop Bumpers should fit in:
    Iron Man
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Terminator 2

Games Plasma Pop Bumpers will NOT fit in:
    Creature From the Black Lagoon

#4 6 years ago

The LED light ring that is under the plasma, we call it a collar. The collar is how the plasma gets mounted to the body.

The bottom of the collar is designed to go over a plastic that may be near the plasma. This is more common on Stern games. If this happens, it is normally about 1/16" over lap. You can see on this picture of Metallica.

Also Metallica has an extra plastic that goes over Sparky's feet. The plasma can be adjusted to fit over that also.

Yes, that screw should have been screwed in farther.

plasma above plastic (resized).jpgplasma above plastic (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

You don't need to replace all of the pop bumpers in the game, you can do just one as a focus.

Because I don't know how people are going to use them, how many in a game, or what colors or styles, each kit has its own power supply. You can run 5 plasma's off of one power supply, so if you want use one power supply plugged into your service outlet and purchase a splitter (we don't carry) that is an option.

These use the standard DC 5.5 x 2.1 mm plug.

ALSO, these run off of 3 volts.

5.5 x 2.1 splitter (resized).jpg5.5 x 2.1 splitter (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

100 bucks per pop bumper?
    I realize the parts cost on these is relatively high + that harness you've come up with, and I've tried to do this mod myself, so I know how fragile these things can be and getting the plasma separated from the little control box they come mounted to is very difficult without destroying the wires that go into the glass. Pretty sure your "collar" is totally necessary to give clearance for the glass nipple on the back..good idea putting some lighting in/on it.
    But man, we're talking about nearly the same price as an LED Color DMD...or a sheet of invisiglass.....I just....oof. I'd love to have these in my Voltron project(All the lightning crackling around when they join up..) because the pops area is SO SO crappy on WPT and it would fit my retheme, but I'm going to have to think about whether or not I want to sink that much money into what's just a cosmetic thing. It's hard to say the price isn't justified because of my own failure to do this mod myself twice, it's just a bit hard to swallow. At least one of us figured out how to get the bloody things apart successfully.

Yes, this mod is not for everyone.

When these were at Allentown, people would trip over themselves to look at these. The main concerns were what did they fit in, which is nearly all games. Next was price. When someone asked about the price, we showed them what comes with them, and the details in construction, nearly everyone felt the price of $99.99 is justified for what was in them, then it was just a question of if they wanted to pay that amount, and for many the answer was no, but for many the answer was yes.

We start with a core plasma. Not all plasmas are as lively as we would like for the game, so we only use about half of the stock we get.
    Then some work is done on the plasma.

Next, we must color the plasmas, did you see how close these match to the original colors of the pop bumpers when they are off? Some of the plasma’s take 12 steps to color properly.

When that is done, then the very high end protective resin. This give the proper size and protects the glass. The resin is crystal clear and super strong. We do 2 types of treatments to the resin to get that clarity. Because of the way the resin is manipulated, we can only do 6 at a time. This one step is a very time-consuming step.

Then additional work needs to be done to the plasma’s.

We then work on the collar “mounting system”. These are done separately and have 2 LED’s in them. Are you aware that many playfield mods that are on the market are a $5 toy with 2 LED’s in them and they sell for $100? Much time is taken to have the proper color in the collar to match the plasma.

When the above components are done, then they need to be assembled and tested.

We must custom cut a body for the mounting system.

Then the electronics, each plasma comes with its own circuit board to control it, and its own power supply and some other parts.
    The above is just to give an idea, and I did leave out some steps.

To sum it up, one person in our shop can make 6 of these a day, they are very time consuming to make. EVERYONE will spot these in your game, it will be the first thing they look at, and they make a HUGE impression.

These are so detailed to make, that I don’t see anyone ever making a less expensive version.

If the price does not work for you, then please do a pass on this mod. I estimate this mod will work and look good on over 50 games, and if I sell one set of 3 of these to someone in the world a day, that will work for me.

Dan

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Ouch.

Are you aware I've helped design mods and used to build power splitter harnesses? Yeah, I'm aware of those types of mods, and I don't pay for them...I make them myself. I did my own Tron lightcycles twice, and a set for a friend, before there was any kind of reliable guide on how 'mod makers' were wiring them cleanly. I really appreciate the description of all the work that's put into your product. The fact you're willing to talk about that says a lot about you, IMO. A lot of the people creating mods are super secretive when you ask for details and I don't trust that at ALL. If you're providing a quality product, people will remember that and come back, not wander off to someone with an inferior product for 5 bucks less.
    How much clearance over a typical Stern pop is needed? I'm hoping they'll fit under the mini-playfield on WPT, but to be honest, I'm not even sure if there's ANY additional space there or not LOL.

Thanks for the feedback. Part of the reason I put a picture of the kit, so people could get an idea of what comes with it, and were some of the cost is.

Having the plasmas on is nice, but having them turn on and off as the game is designed, really makes them pop. The plasmas work off of DC, and the power for the original pop bumper is AC, so that was a hurdle to over come. Also the latency (delay) to make the plasmas turn on and off quick, like in Metallica (see video) or TAF multiball was another small challenge. Using the service outlet made a simple and quick way to avoid electronic feedback, but added to the price.

You need about 3/8" clearance for the pop bumpers. I found if I can fit my pinky finger between the original pop bumper cap and any ramp above it, these should fit.

The main reason I am running this offer is because these fit in so many games, but people need to see it in a game.

I was mainly a Bally/Williams guy, but now I am starting to get some Sterns, and am really enjoying them. I have had these in TAF and TZ for so long, I got used to them. We designed them to go into Stern, just never got around to getting them installed. Finally got them in a Stern a couple of weeks ago, and OMG, I was blown away by how good they looked. My friends that came over have been amazed also. With Metallica nearly any color could goes in the game. I am not really happy with our purple and black yet, I got them, just not my favorite colors of plasma, and purple is my favorite color.

Orange, Red and Yellow are very popular colors, fit in a lot of games. Another nice thing about this mod, is that it is NOT custom fit to one game. If you have them in a game you are selling, you can pull them out and put them in another game you have.

My gal should be catching up on PM's tonight, got a bit over run today.

Dan

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Possible dumb/noob question. Is it possible to have the plasma start slow and sparse and then ramp up in speed and amount of "bolts"?

No, they just have 3 settings, always on, sound activated and turning on and off as the original designed pop bumper.

Some games have that designed on the original game (The Addams Family and Metallica as examples). I never noticed how the pop bumper lights were programmed until I had these installed.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Would like to put 4 purple pops in my Gottlieb Genesis, but i think i would have to change the pop bodys.

In the kit we supply a new pop body that will fit in your game that holds the plasma pop bumpers.

#25 6 years ago

I just wanted to update everyone.....

The games currently taken off the promotion are as follows:

AC/DC
    Star Trek (STERN)
    Haunted House
    F-14 Tom Cat
    Iron Man

Games Plasma Pop Bumpers are in:
    Star Wars - Data East
    The Addams Family
    Twilight Zone
    Matallica

#30 6 years ago

I just wanted to update everyone.....
    The games currently taken off the promotion are as follows:
    AC/DC
    Star Trek (STERN)
    Haunted House
    F-14 Tom Cat
    Iron Man
    Big, Bang, Bar
    Embyron
    STTNG

Games Plasma Pop Bumpers are in:
    Star Wars - Data East
    The Addams Family
    Twilight Zone
    Matallica

1 month later
    #49 6 years ago

Ashley takes care of all of the emails. I want to thank everyone that is helping us on these tests.

And a OMG to bbriese, what an incredible job and challenge he had to get these into Haunted House. He may be modest, but Haunted House did not have the space to fit these. He wanted these so bad, that he lowered his play field 1/4"and he made an a very nice metal bracket to mount the relay's. What a professional job he did, very impressed. I just wanted to share the work he put in this.

Grinder901 also did a great job. On many games they are tight under the ramps, which means you have to take the ramp out. Also the whiplash plastic lays over the bottom bumper. We also had that on Metallica.

Ashley is talking close notes on all feedback. The person we had doing our pinning and wire connections did not do as good as we liked, so we upgraded that on the plasma's.

Once we get a bit more feedback, we will start listing for sale.

One thing everyone agrees on that see these is they make sure an impact that pictures and descriptions do not do them justice.

Gatordad, don't worry, about time, I appropriate everyone that is helping.

Dan

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider litedpinballmods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plasma-pop-bumpers-in-production-testers-wanted?tu=litedpinballmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.