(Topic ID: 193487)

PLASMA POP BUMPERS in production, testers wanted.

By Litedpinballmods

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180120_141450 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170907_184131 (resized).jpg
    20170907_184044_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_2437 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2436 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2435 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2434 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2433 (resized).JPG
    20170822_202044 (resized).jpg
    20170822_202044 (resized).jpg
    20170822_202200 (resized).jpg
    ScaredStiff-06 (resized).jpg
    5.5 x 2.1 splitter (resized).jpg
    plasma above plastic (resized).jpg
    plasma kit (resized).jpg
    plasma ready to work (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

100 bucks per pop bumper?

I realize the parts cost on these is relatively high + that harness you've come up with, and I've tried to do this mod myself, so I know how fragile these things can be and getting the plasma separated from the little control box they come mounted to is very difficult without destroying the wires that go into the glass. Pretty sure your "collar" is totally necessary to give clearance for the glass nipple on the back..good idea putting some lighting in/on it.

But man, we're talking about nearly the same price as an LED Color DMD...or a sheet of invisiglass.....I just....oof. I'd love to have these in my Voltron project(All the lightning crackling around when they join up..) because the pops area is SO SO crappy on WPT and it would fit my retheme, but I'm going to have to think about whether or not I want to sink that much money into what's just a cosmetic thing. It's hard to say the price isn't justified because of my own failure to do this mod myself twice, it's just a bit hard to swallow. At least one of us figured out how to get the bloody things apart successfully.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

we only use about half of the stock we get.

Ouch.

Are you aware that many playfield mods that are on the market are a $5 toy with 2 LED’s in them and they sell for $100?

Are you aware I've helped design mods and used to build power splitter harnesses? Yeah, I'm aware of those types of mods, and I don't pay for them...I make them myself. I did my own Tron lightcycles twice, and a set for a friend, before there was any kind of reliable guide on how 'mod makers' were wiring them cleanly. I really appreciate the description of all the work that's put into your product. The fact you're willing to talk about that says a lot about you, IMO. A lot of the people creating mods are super secretive when you ask for details and I don't trust that at ALL. If you're providing a quality product, people will remember that and come back, not wander off to someone with an inferior product for 5 bucks less.

How much clearance over a typical Stern pop is needed? I'm hoping they'll fit under the mini-playfield on WPT, but to be honest, I'm not even sure if there's ANY additional space there or not LOL.

#21 6 years ago

In the kit we supply a new pop body that will fit in your game that holds the plasma pop bumpers.

If they're typical nylon type material, they can be dyed VERY successfully by boiling in water and liquid RIT dye. Color hue and saturation depend on the dye-to-water ratio, but you can get some SUPER vibrant color very easily that way. I used this to do red/white/blue pops on Space Shuttle....if that's the question of having purple pops, anyways.

Changing the body ain't no huge thing, really easy to do while doing a rebuild. Good time to tune up the game!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plasma-pop-bumpers-in-production-testers-wanted?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.