You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

planking1 (resized).jpg
planking2 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi Pinners

I am on the hunt for a TZ and have found one a little cheaper however it has some planking issues.

It would be great to get some feedback from more experienced people in the industry with the following questions.

1. Should I walk away, once a playfield has planking issues would you consider this a lost cause?
2. Does this cause any other problems I would need to be aware?
2. Would it be worth buying a new playfield or is this over reacting?

The reason for the questions is so I can factor this into the total cost of this pin or to just keep looking.

Thanks in advance, interested in people's thoughts.

Mark

planking2 (resized).jpgplanking2 (resized).jpg

planking1 (resized).jpgplanking1 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Lost cause? That's a 2 minute touchup and a reclear. That game is going to play perfectly fine unless some other inserts you didn't show are popped AND raised up. Is it worth buying a new playfield? No. But buying a new playfield has almost NEVER been 'worth' it in terms of adding value or making sure you get your money back. That's something you do because YOU want the game to look amazing.

#3 6 years ago

If wear like that on a 23 year old game bugs you, you should probably stick with newer games.

#4 6 years ago

Buy it and play the crap out of it

#5 6 years ago

As long as the price is right, then get it.

It does not look too bad.

#6 6 years ago

Doesn't look bad, if the price is right buy it!!

#7 6 years ago

I've had machines with planking much worse than this that played fine and never got noticeably worse. Buy it. Play it. Enjoy it!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from mswhat:

I've had machines with planking much worse than this that played fine and never got noticeably worse. Buy it. Play it. Enjoy it!

Hey, do we know each other? There's not a lot of Naples pinball players

#9 6 years ago

Buy a new ball, give the playfield a good clean and wax, and enjoy. Playing pinball doesn't always require it to look like a collectors item, especially with used classics. My buddy has had a Cyclone with significant wear on the ball track, and probably the upper 10% of the playfield is worn to the wood. he likes it the way it is and has no intention of ever fixing or replacing the playfield.

#10 6 years ago

Planking has never really bothered me too much...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Planking has never really bothered me too much...

that's actually impressive if it's real....

#12 6 years ago

TZ is a great game, even with the planking it will play great and no one will even notice. People are far too concerned about resale, if the price is fair for its condition, go for it!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Buy a new ball, give the playfield a good clean and wax, and enjoy. Playing pinball doesn't always require it to look like a collectors item, especially with used classics. My buddy has had a Cyclone with significant wear on the ball track, and probably the upper 10% of the playfield is worn to the wood. he likes it the way it is and has no intention of ever fixing or replacing the playfield.

My TZ has a huge wear spot at the slot kick out. Thing is, it plays great and is such a cool game. I mean if I wanted to I could do a PF swap, though I am not sure I would enjoy it any more. Main reason I would even do it is for the fun of having a project, tinkering, and making it my own.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I zoomed in really close

I didn't see anything obvious to indicate it's not

#15 6 years ago

If planking bothers op then don't buy it. You will continue to look at planking. Spend the additional money for a nicer one.

#16 6 years ago

God, I feel sorry for this dudes wife. Or him in general. Hope this is a joke. Please tell me me isn't serious. and I missed the sarcasm?

#17 6 years ago

Pretty much every game I own has some planking somewhere, if it bothers you than pass.

#18 6 years ago

If it is priced right for you then do it. These machines are meant to be played. If you are more about collecting and won't be happy with it then stay away. I am more of a play it type of guy.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

They, I mean it looks real to me.

#20 6 years ago

Yes its real, its around $700 USD cheaper.

I have both a NIB and a restored pin but never anything with planking, it's all new to me thus the question to more experienced pinners. Its good to hear the feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planking-should-i-buy?hl=ftmypinballfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.