7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I had the opportunity to check out a LOTR to buy. I decided not to go with it because I was really concerned about some planking that I had seen. This indicated to me that the pin must have been stored in a non temperature controlled area. The cabinet's decals were cracked along the wood grain lines, which I didn't think was that big of a deal but I couldn't seem to find anyone selling decals. The thing that broke the deal for me was the small planking on the playfield near Orthanc on the far side of the metal diverter gate was a half inch of planking that was probably only raised 1/16". Is there any way to fix or stabilize an issue like that without doing a serious playfield restoration?

1 week later
    #2 7 years ago

No. It's a very big job if you decide you can't live with it; to do it right, the planked paint has to be removed, and new paint applied by airbrush. Otherwise it can look like crap if you try to mask it; strictly my opinion, YMMV.

#3 7 years ago

Short answer: planking can't be repaired.

However--I've seen replacement playfields pop up occasionally in the $500-$900 range, so you might be able to do a playfield swap, but it would be a considerable amount of work.

Unless you can get a killer deal on that pin, I'd pass. Nice examples pop up fairly frequently.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planking-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.