(Topic ID: 185121)

Planking or Ribbing? And can it be fixed?

By hailrazer

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hailrazer
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170329_191307 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hailrazer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Gottlieb Incredible Hulk.

So I assume this is planking or ribbing?

Seems a bit weird because it's not just lines but it's got "swirls" or "whirlpool" marks also.

Anyhow. It won't clean off, it won't buff off, it won't wet sand out.

Has anyone tried heating up the playfield and trying to "melt" the paint slightly to re-fill or re-flow the paint?

20170329_191307 (resized).jpg20170329_191307 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Oh the "character" doesn't bother me. I can play it as is.

I was just wondering about the chances of heating it up. I've seen paint "smooth" out in a heat booth at a body repair shop before. I wonder if it can be done with pinball playfields.

#9 7 years ago

I've also seen a few guys use laquer thinner to smooth out checked paint on a car. Might try that on a small hidden area.

#15 7 years ago

OK so I used Magic Erasers and Naptha. If I went far enough to get out all swirls I would start losing some paint. So I had to walk a fine line between leaving a few swirls and knocking off a little paint. Overall it came out good and only around 7 spots need a dab of touch up.

Thanks for the help everyone. My fingers are raw but I'm happy

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I doubt it's in your plan... but you really should put some put a clear coat on that PF if you want to keep it dirt / ball swirl free.

Yea, I really don't want to tear it down and clear coat it when it is not a very good looking playfield. If I were to go that far I would just have it restored. I might Mylar it. I have some 5mil 28"x48" sheets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hailrazer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planking-or-ribbing-and-can-it-be-fixed?tu=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.