Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BSD.JPG
DSC_4170.JPG
Planking.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Heard of this on prior posts.

What exactly is planking of a play field? Do I use a flat surface like a T square to determine if it's present ?

#2 12 years ago

I always assumed to to be little stress cracks(usually running vertically through the playfield). A close inspection of the playfield should help find it. I know it sounds funny, but I always take a flash light and shine it at an angle to look for damage, as some planking/damage can be disguised after someone has waxed the playfield. If this is the BSD on the Cincy CL good luck, as I had been talking to the seller but could not ever get up-close pictures.

#3 12 years ago

That is also the only time I have heard of planking being referenced.
I have only seen it on older machines (at least prior to 1990).
It is usually visible but a flashlight is a good idea also IMO.

Best of luck

#4 12 years ago

Isn't it where the grain of the wood starts to crack the paint and therefore become visible in the paint... as though it were a plank of wood...?? As shown below:

That's my guess anyway...

Planking.jpgPlanking.jpg

#5 12 years ago

I have also heard it referred to as checking.

#6 12 years ago

I believe (really, I'm unsure) that checking refers to something similar but with the cab. At least, that's how I've always heard it used.

Quoted from donjagra:

I have also heard it referred to as checking.

#7 12 years ago

Yes planking is cracking in the finish following the grain in the plywood. Certain playfields seem more vulnerable such as the Lenc Smith BSD batches. Has to do with absorbing humidity, temperature fluctuation typically.
Very common on old GTB wedgeheads after about 30 years stored in garages, sheds. Goes hand in hand with backglass peeling I think.

#8 12 years ago

Here is a pic of someones CFTBL that I found on RGP that has planking. Lenc Smith (LS) pfs are notorious for planking. Some of the worst ones were on TZ. You can spot a LS TZ pf just by looking at the door. TAG and Sun Products (SP) are the prefered pfs to have.

DSC_4170.JPGDSC_4170.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Finally got a chance to check my BSD today. this'd been bothering me since i read the first post.
whew! SP playfield. thank goodness, BSD is a keeper.

BSD.JPGBSD.JPG

#10 12 years ago

Mine's an SP too! Anyone else? BR?

#11 12 years ago

Yeah, mine's a Sun Process playfield too. They do hold up a lot better it seems.

FYI for those checking theirs: You don't have to pull the apron to check (or look under it at all). There will be a a date stamped on the front edge of the playfield, and ahead of it will be an "SP" if it's a Sun Process playfield.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I always assumed to to be little stress cracks(usually running vertically through the playfield). A close inspection of the playfield should help find it. I know it sounds funny, but I always take a flash light and shine it at an angle to look for damage, as some planking/damage can be disguised after someone has waxed the playfield. If this is the BSD on the Cincy CL good luck, as I had been talking to the seller but could not ever get up-close pictures.

That's the one I looked at. LS play field, didn't notice any planking. cabinet is pretty faded. Played fine, ramps looked ok. Just dirty, holes in the mylar, right sling shot not working, small hole in play field from a wrong sized screw used under the p f. In need of a full shop out. Didn't think it was worth it for the price. A few hundred less and I would have taken it home.

#13 12 years ago

I just bought a BSD and because of the forum I made sure it was an SP PF

#14 12 years ago

TZ = Sp here..guess I'm lucky.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

Jnewton said:I always assumed to to be little stress cracks(usually running vertically through the playfield). A close inspection of the playfield should help find it. I know it sounds funny, but I always take a flash light and shine it at an angle to look for damage, as some planking/damage can be disguised after someone has waxed the playfield. If this is the BSD on the Cincy CL good luck, as I had been talking to the seller but could not ever get up-close pictures.
That's the one I looked at. LS play field, didn't notice any planking. cabinet is pretty faded. Played fine, ramps looked ok. Just dirty, holes in the mylar, right sling shot not working, small hole in play field from a wrong sized screw used under the p f. In need of a full shop out. Didn't think it was worth it for the price. A few hundred less and I would have taken it home.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. We had talked about price and they wouldn't budge, so then they want to trade....Funny thing about my basement though, games go in, but they don't want to come out lol. I wouldn't mind a BSD, the one at Louisville Arcade Expo was SPOTLESS, but being such a marginal player, I couldn't get anything going on it. Oh well...

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I wouldn't mind a BSD, the one at Louisville Arcade Expo was SPOTLESS, but being such a marginal player, I couldn't get anything going on it. Oh well...

Well I'm glad you thought it was spotless(that was mine at the Louisville show)...but I shopped it out about 3+ years ago.... and its an LS playfield too....

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Yeah, mine's a Sun Process playfield too. They do hold up a lot better it seems.
FYI for those checking theirs: You don't have to pull the apron to check (or look under it at all). There will be a a date stamped on the front edge of the playfield, and ahead of it will be an "SP" if it's a Sun Process playfield.

thanks for the tips!
my BSD is an SP as well, phew!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planking-bsd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.