Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mr t.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mwkj6qxUc21s5qgl1.png
    Workbench Door.JPG
    pbdecal1.jpg
    Picnic time.JPG
    DSCF2214.JPG
    DSCF2017.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 9 years ago

Let's not forget that Pinball Rescue had to do the *same thing* with Gottlieb LLC. It even says right on their site 'Licenced to reproduce Gottlieb® Products'

Just to interject an opinion from another side of the discussion

I've been paying royalties to PPS for a few years now on ROM sales.

Rick called me up on the phone, we discussed it, and I sent money.

The discussion was friendly, and I have no ill feelings towards that. PPS has a significant investment in these rights. I may not be using the correct legal terms, or words, but I think what I'm saying is coming across in a way that everyone can understand it.

Now, let's take another look at it

I love pinball. Odds are, everyone posting here loves pinball, too!

Since PPS acquired the rights to these products, there have been a lot more products come to fruition. Playfields, plastics sets, backglasses, translites, cabinet artwork, etc.

PPS didn't just get the rights, start saying F you, pay me! to everyone, and just sit on a throne and collect money.

PPS is making stuff that we haven't been able to get for years.

Some of it, PPS makes. Some of it, they farm out and take a cut.

If someone is selling products that are done through agreement with PPS, and they aren't up to par, Rick addresses that.

If someone is selling products that are not being made through an agreement, Rick tries to make an agreement for the benefit of everyone, rather than just squash that person.

Yes, things cost a bit more. So is life. Would you rather pay a bit more, or not have them at all?

If Pinball Rescue works with Rick, and comes to an agreement, it benefits everyone.

A lot of people who are new to pinball may not realize how gloomy things seemed when WMS closed, people were worried about being able to get parts at all. Silly maintenance stuff, bulbs, rings, flipper rebuild kits, etc.

This also isn't a cheap hobby.

I understand being frustrated. This may delay parts that people want, or need, from coming to market, but I don't believe the delay will be *significant*, and it has the ability to bring even more stuff to market.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I posted this in the EM forum because a lot of what Pin Rescue does is for the EM market. Overwhelmingly, they service a pinball segment that is pretty much ignored by PPS. As I stated before, PPS does little to nothing for collectors of Williams EMs. And there's pretty much no indication that they'll do anything in the future for EM collectors.
    I note this because the majority of the people who have responded to this thread seem to have collections that are solely SS/DMD game and aren't really going to be impacted at all by what has happened here.

I think you're expecting the worst. Rick has the ability to open things up to his distributors as well, which may increase demand and get additional products made. I know it's easy to be skeptical, but give him a chance!

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Open what things up? These guys make a very narrow range of products. They're already making them. They already have a website and they're already well known.
    What exactly is PPS going to do for them other than take a cut of whatever they do?

PPS is legally entitled to their cut. Just because you get away with speeding every day doesn't mean you have the right to use this argument when the cop pulls you over and writes you a ticket.

Let's say PR makes 50 sets of plastics for a particular game

Rick may enable them to sell 100 sets, if he contacts his distributors and finds interest in that set. Not *everyone* knows every product that is made. I'm amazed daily by the amount of people who will buy something from Marco, for example, when it's available for less elsewhere - but a lot of people think Marco and BAA are their only choices, for example.

If they can sell more product, they may make more products!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planetary-pinball-pulls-a-gottlieb-llc?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.