• Latest reply 9 years ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-410.jpg
martincooper1_wideweb__470x3620.jpg
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

There's lots of fun speculation about Planetary Pinball's second remake. Many people are hypothesizing games 3,4,5, and beyond... Even Big Bang Bar, a Capcom game has been throw into the speculative mix.

I see them most likely re-making a second title, probably Attack From Mars but my analytical reasoning ends with two and no more. Most of the desirable Bally/Williams titles are flawed for a re-make in my view.

I don't mind being proven wrong so if people can tell me what I'm missing I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Kim

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There's lots of fun speculation about Planetary Pinball's second remake. Many people are hypothesizing games 3,4,5, and beyond... Even Big Bang Bar, a Capcom game has been throw into the speculative mix.
I see them most likely re-making a second title, probably Attack from Mars but my analytical reasoning ends with two and no more. Most of the desirable Bally/Williams titles are flawed for a re-make in my view.
I don't mind being proven wrong so if people can tell me what I'm missing I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

Well I think the only thing you are missing is MM will probably be the highest price point .. If you think about what games they can sell for $8k, or even $7k, yeah, it's AFM, CC, and BBB. They can still remake other games and make less profit. Once they get MM up and running and have everything in place, the costs go down for future releases. I can see them making runs on other Bally/Williams games by pricing them around $5k if they can turn a profit on them, which they should be able to.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I can see them making runs on other Bally/Williams games by pricing them around $5k if they can turn a profit on them, which they should be able to.

I can see that with maybe ToM & WH20 for starters.

#4 10 years ago

Based upon MMr sales, if they don't run into production problems, I would imagine they'll do one remake a year. If they go by current price point it'll probably be something like this: CC > MB > AFM. After that, who knows.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Well I think the only thing you are missing is MM will probably be the highest price point .. If you think about what games they can sell for $8k, or even $7k, yeah, it's AFM, CC, and BBB. They can still remake other games and make less profit. Once they get MM up and running and have everything in place, the costs go down for future releases. I can see them making runs on other Bally/Williams games by pricing them around $5k if they can turn a profit on them, which they should be able to.

I hadn't considered a lower price. That's something for me to think about. Thanks.

Please explain why you and others keep talking about a BBB remake when Planetary Pinball does not own the rights.
I don't understand this.

Kim

#6 10 years ago

I believe PPS will continue with remakes as long as the demand is there and it is profitable. I can't imagine he would have the boards engineered for just one title. I agree that AFM is the most logical second choice, but see no reason to stop there and leave money on the table - he is running a business after all.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I believe PPS will continue with remakes as long as the demand is there and it is profitable. I can't imagine he would have the boards engineered for just one title. I agree that AFM is the most logical second choice, but see no reason to stop there and leave money on the table - he is running a business after all.

I totally agree.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I can see them making runs on other Bally/Williams games by pricing them around $5k if they can turn a profit on them, which they should be able to.

With all of the cost reduction on the MMr, I think they could have turned a tidy profit selling them for Stern Pro pricing. It is basically a populated playfield, miniature CPU board, cabinet and significantly less wiring. Not to mention no development cost for art, music, sound, playfield layout, etc. I'd gladly pay $5000 for a new Whitewater.

#9 10 years ago

I really don't even feel like AFM is worth $8k. I wouldn't want to pay more than $4k at the most for one. Great game, but really not even close to MM greatness in my opinion.

#10 10 years ago

One and done... hopefully! Move forward! Not backward... hey Apple please remake one of these!

martincooper1_wideweb__470x3620.jpgmartincooper1_wideweb__470x3620.jpg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Please explain why you and others keep talking about a BBB remake when Planetary Pinball does not own the rights.

Maybe they do ? Williams was going to release BBB after CC, but never did. Were working on a whitewood and programming to make it a Williams.

LTG : )

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There's lots of fun speculation about Planetary Pinball's second remake.

I have no idea what their plans are.

After the initial shock of having it sell in an hour, and the ensuing flood of emails and calls. and heavens knows what else. Rick may be sorry he thought this one, was a good idea.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe they do ? Williams was going to release BBB after CC, but never did. Were working on a whitewood and programming to make it a Williams.

That would be epic. Someone tried to sell me a BBB the other day for $19.5k lol...maybe they know something

If Rick wanted another title to sell for $8k and have that look "cheap", BBB is the one to do. What's Gene's deal with the Capcom rights? In perpetuity? ...or would have have to renew at some point? If there's a renewal deadline - maybe that's where Rick jumps in?

Just like MM, I'd never pay 10k+ for a used one....but make a new one for $8k, here's my money.

#14 10 years ago

I doubt prices will drop significantly for future releases. Hope I am wrong of course.

Obviously 8k for MM was no problemo.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I really don't even feel like AFM is worth $8k.

I agree but this was the mental block I was having with the remaining possible remakes. I was stuck on the 8K price tag. It works for MM but not so much for the other titles.

A lower price makes sense and if true, I'm now intrigued in a different way. It will be interesting to see which title Planetary will choose and can they find the sweet spot for a price. And that sweet spot will have to be a generic price going forward as the remainder of the "A" titled games somewhat fall into a pack.

Not to go off topic but if I were a Vegas odds-maker I'd set AFM at 3 to 1 with an over/under of $6K.

Kim

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't understand this.

Williams bought the rights for BBB (and only made a single game).

Just like PPS bought the rights for MM from WayneO, they can buy the rights for BBB from Gene.

At 8K, there is plenty of money to go 'round.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't mind being proven wrong

You are the first person to ever admit this on a message board.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I get better with experience.

Kim

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What's Gene's deal with the Capcom rights?

We don't know he ever had one or not.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

We're waiting on Kim to ever be right. Now that would be earth shattering.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just like PPS bought the rights for MM from WayneO, they can buy the rights for BBB from Gene.

Ah but that would come at a huge cost and more importantly, nobody wants to deal with Gene.

Kim

#22 10 years ago

And why not make re-run of "the pinball circus"
For 6k ??

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

And why not make re-run of "the Pinball Circus"
For 6k ??

Python was talking about finishing/expanding it and releasing it as "The Flipper Circus" ...not sure if it's daydream talk or he has a full plan in motion.

#24 10 years ago

AFM is not a good second choice. There are just too many available and they do not seem to be selling at the price point MM does. I think AFM would be a failure since you can buy a mint one for 10k ish

Cactus Canyon would sell another 1000 as its price is over $8k for a beater. Not many were made and I think a lot of people want this title. I just really question the demand for AFM.

If they can get capcom rights then bring on king pin and BBB both games would easily sell 1000 units at

If I were doing games I'd make.

MM then CC see if I could do BBB and Kingpin maybe look into Funhouse if you can get it made for $5 k.

There are only 4 titles I can see selling 1000 or more units at the $8k price point

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

And why not make re-run of "the Pinball Circus"
For 6k ??

Because you couldn't do it for that ? When Williams was open they were talking $12K in the mid 1990's for it when MM's were $3400.

#26 10 years ago

Plus AFM is way too similar play wise to MM. Makes more sense to do CC next then AFM if they are going to run it.

#27 10 years ago

For me, remakes would have to be priced something like this to make sense based on my guesstimates for supply and demand:
Funhouse at $5500. TAF at $7000. AFM at $7000 to $8000. TZ at around $6500. CC at around $6000-$7000 with the new code, and not worth much without the code since the inflated price of the original CC is based on rarity.
MB at around $7500. TOM at around $6500. TOTAN at around $7000.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

For me remakes would have to be priced something like this to make sense:

I'd worry about your favorite remake getting done first. Then if it's in your budget.

Take your example of Funhouse. Extra shooter rod, different cabinet, different playfield, and Rudy head. No way you could do that for less than what they are asking for MM.

Sadly, if you want something that gets made, sense may not enter into it.

#29 10 years ago

With the stronger than expected demand for MM, development costs for the new boards may be paid off earlier than PPS anticipated possibly leading to lower NIB cost for follow up games that may not command 8K price tag.

#30 10 years ago

They haven't even sold all the MMR LE's yet and you guys are talking about more refakes? One and done...

#31 10 years ago

Most of the parts were already made by Wayne for MM. Not the case for any of the other options making it much more difficult to make a game from scratch .

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

They haven't even sold all the MMR LE's yet and you guys are talking about more refakes? One and done...

I thought all of the MMrLE's had sold out in a few hours?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Most of the parts were already made by Wayne for MM.

Most of the parts covers a lot, we've never seen pictures beyond some of the basics like trolls and common stuff used in other games.

And you know for a fact PPS is using them and not their own or making their own ?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I thought all of the MMrLE's had sold out in a few hours?

Nope...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-limited-quantity-available-from-pinball-phil-arcades-at-home

And there will be more cancellations...

#35 10 years ago

Don't know for sure, but it seems logical. I can't imagine promising delivery in early 2014 and not having a ton of the parts already made. Starting from scratch would be a challenge .

#36 10 years ago

When Jack looks at how much money he made in the last week from simply being a major distributor of MMr vs how much he will actually make or lose off of three years of blood, sweat and tears spent on WoZ... Let's just say it may not be Planetary that we should be worried about being one and done.

#37 10 years ago

I hope PPL is successful and remake many more titles. They are not going to create a new title from the ground up and remakes is all they want to do to keep it simple. Leave the new titles up to Stern/JJP and the other people making boutique titles, then you have machines for everyone. Can't believe the sour grapes over a MM remake. The constant crying is due to money leaving collectors pockets who either overpaid or flip for profit. If JJP or Stern was doing remakes then I could see people being upset because it takes away time from the developing new titles. But it's a pretty sad day when anyone in the hobby would be upset PPL is remaking one of the great classics and potentially more to come.

#38 10 years ago

By that logic MOP didnt sell out either...

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Don't know for sure, but it seems logical.

You do realize Bay Area amusements and Planetary Pinball Supply are in the pinball parts business.

Why source things there when they can or have been done here ?

#40 10 years ago

Exactly, my point is that MM is a logical choice because it is a great game and the supply of already made parts is plentiful. Other remakes would take more effort because the number of available parts are not as plentiful .

#41 10 years ago

Wrong. They officially sold all 1000 in under two hours.

Distributors having them like with other games, is a completely different thing.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Wrong. They officially sold all 1000 in under two hours.
Distributors having them like with other games, is a completely different thing.

Wrong, many here thought they we no longer available... At ALL! We've already seen a couple WTB ads for them and many others complaining that they were shut out and missed their chance to own one. Many thought they were sold out completely including from the distributors.

Never fear folks yes they are sold out but still available...

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Other remakes would take more effort because the number of available parts are not as plentiful .

Seriously cannot be that difficult to reproduce if you have the 'rights' to remake them. AFM, what's difficult about having those parts made? Same for WH20/MB/CC/etc. In the world of 3D printing and scanning, these projects should be a piece of cake. The only thing stopping it is the company getting in their own way and charging too much for the remakes.

#44 10 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the chance of PPS remaking another title is directly proportional to the success they have with MMR.

#45 10 years ago

I’m really glad I began this thread. Here’s what I've learned so far:

1. Rarehero is still holding out hope for an $8K BBB.
2. I’m the first person to ever admit not minding being wrong on a message board.
3. I’m grateful for everyone convincing me I was wrong. I’m equally grateful I posted that comment in advance.
4. I’d like to know more history about why Williams was going to make BBB but did not.
5. Lloyd is waiting for me to be right sometime.
6. Lloyd doesn't know what Genes deal is with Capcom rights but I do.
7. MMR LE’s are not sold out but after further review, they are sold out but still available. (YIKES!)
8. Teekee has Bally/Williams inventory he needs to flip.

Kim

#46 10 years ago

I think the bar has been set and 8K is the minimum price of any future releases. And if that's the case, I can't see more than one more title being released. There just isn't enough cash in this small hobby to support three, mass producing, pin manufacturers.

#47 10 years ago

Almost forgot.

9. I'm really glad I was at Expo to order the MMR LE

Kim

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

6. Lloyd doesn't know what Genes deal is with Capcom rights but I do.

Study up Capcom patents and trademarks.

Quoted from Mr68:

I’d like to know more history about why Williams was going to make BBB but did not.

Hard to say. Maybe P2K was ready to go quicker than planned ?

Williams had two Capcom BBB's, disassembled one. Had a whitewood with some artwork in a cabinet ( no idea what cabinet ) I'm assuming Williams flippers, pop bumpers, slingshots, etc, Capcom parts on top side of playfield. Williams board set, Lyman started working on the programming. Project dumped. Mike Pacak ended up with all of this, made the Williams BBB back into a Capcom one and sold it and the other eventually. Whitewood with art work is in a private collection.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

For me, remakes would have to be priced something like this to make sense based on my guesstimates for supply and demand:
Funhouse at $5500. TAF at $7000. AFM at $7000 to $8000. TZ at around $6500. CC at around $6000-$7000 with the new code, and not worth much without the code since the inflated price of the original CC is based on rarity.
MB at around $7500. TOM at around $6500. TOTAN at around $7000.

You're smoking crack if you think Adams Family, one of the highest production number pins of all time is going to be remade.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

You're smoking crack if you think Adams Family, one of the highest production number pins of all time is going to be remade.

He is also mistaken, if he thinks remakes would be sold that cheaply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/planetary-pinball-one-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.