(Topic ID: 133424)

Placing games on location tonight... excited!!!

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QR.jpg
    pins_at_upstreet-142250143.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

So tonight I become an OP.

I'm placing 2 of my games on location at a new craft brewery that just opened down the street from my house. I'm pretty excited! I've been wanting to try putting games on location in my town for a while now, since there are none currently, and I love pinball, and I think it *should* work as a business. And this location is perfect. It's a cool new place with an awesome vibe. I can't wait!!!

First games in the Upstreet Craft Brewing lineup will be Doctor Who and No Fear.

#2 8 years ago

That's awesome! I hope everything works out for you.

#3 8 years ago

CONGRATS. I have also put my first two on location here in Richmond,VA.

Champion Pub - Brewery downtown Richmond
    Earthshaker - Bowling Alley

It's fun and I to have always wanted to try it. Good Luck.

#5 8 years ago

DBV's I hope.

#6 8 years ago

Good luck! Let us know what your *first* repair is.

#7 8 years ago

good luck and have fun!

Try and get up to 4 and start running a monthly tourney or get-to-gether. IMO that is when the real fun begins. Meet new pinheads, drink beers, chat it up, maybe make a few new friends.

That is really my favorite thing about trying it.

I also suggest once weekly wipe downs of all games. You will be amazed how much dirtier they get in a location then they do in your home. Extra dirt in the bar and it makes its way into the machines.

Proactive preventative maintainence is key to not going crazy.

Also MAKE SURE you can build the relationship with any regulars and put your number on the games so they feel comfortable texting you with issues they see. If you dont know about the problems you can't fix them!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Good luck! Let us know what your *first* repair is.

Answer 1: "The first repair will be to my wallet, as I rake in the big bucks."
    Answer 2: "Repair? I thought location games don't get repaired.

Answer reality: I'm guessing / hoping something simple like some fool jamming gum in a coin slot. The great thing is that this place is really close to my house, so I can easily and frequently run down the street and make sure everything is working well. And I think the vibe / crowd will be fairly respectful, so the pins shouldn't be subjected to any extreme abuse.

#9 8 years ago

also
    THANKS for putting games out to sharwe with others~!!!!

#10 8 years ago

first fix will be a flakey switch, a stuck ball in a place you never thought it could get stuck, and a coin jam or coin switch not working right.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

good luck and have fun!
    Try and get up to 4 and start running a monthly tourney or get-to-gether. IMO that is when the real fun begins. Meet new pinheads, drink beers, chat it up, maybe make a few new friends.
    That is really my favorite thing about trying it.
    I also suggest once weekly wipe downs of all games. You will be amazed how much dirtier they get in a location then they do in your home. Extra dirt in the bar and it makes its way into the machines.
    Proactive preventative maintainence is key to not going crazy.
    Also MAKE SURE you can build the relationship with any regulars and put your number on the games so they feel comfortable texting you with issues they see. If you dont know about the problems you can't fix them!

Solid ideas, Whysnow.

I totally plan to run a monthly tournament. I think it will build interest in the game locally, as well as help build the client base for the venue.

I also plan to put my contact info on the apron, and was thinking I'll somehow affix a notepad and pencil to one of the machines, with instructions to leave me a note if anything is not working properly.

#12 8 years ago

I have found the first month with any game can be a PITA, but over time they get the bugs worked out and tend to get a bit more stable. Then after time they gets enough plays that things need addressed.

If you have not done so already >> frosted LEDs in bulk (reduces heat), titan silicone rubbers (stay clean, wipe clean easier, don't transfer dirt as much), and have lots of rags ready.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Solid ideas, Whysnow.
    I totally plan to run a monthly tournament. I think it will build interest in the game locally, as well as help build the client base for the venue.
    I also plan to put my contact info on the apron, and was thinking I'll somehow affix a notepad and pencil to one of the machines, with instructions to leave me a note if anything is not working properly.

text message for problems is the quickest. We also have put QR codes on all our games which link directly to an "error report" form on our website where surprisingly a few regular prefer that format.

check out www.madisonpinball.com for some ideas on what we have done/ do. It is not a very pretty website but it gets the deal done.

#14 8 years ago

I like your online problem report idea.

#15 8 years ago

Lots of luck! More pins on location is a win for all of us!

Rob
    creditdotpinball.com

#16 8 years ago

I hope your first repair is a jammed coin mech, because the cash box is full! Good luck.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

text message for problems is the quickest. We also have put QR codes on all our games which link directly to an "error report" form on our website where surprisingly a few regular prefer that format.
    check out http://www.madisonpinball.com for some ideas on what we have done/ do. It is not a very pretty website but it gets the deal done.

I really like this.

#18 8 years ago

My Guess:
    First repair will be a broken wire.
    Best of luck on your venture, ps: Walking Dead earns pretty good.

#19 8 years ago

Regarding maintenance:

I'd set up a google phone account that just dumps things into an inbox, pretty sure you can get voicemail transcripts and text messages set up pretty easily.

#20 8 years ago

Awesome. Congrats and best of luck!

#21 8 years ago

Keep us updated and good luck.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Regarding maintenance:
    I'd set up a google phone account that just dumps things into an inbox, pretty sure you can get voicemail transcripts and text messages set up pretty easily.

This is exactly what I do. I had custom price cards made with a dedicated google voice number on it. This looks nice, but I should have realized that almost no player of any experience is taking time scrutinze a price card. Hoping to come up with something I can post right on the backbox of each game that is way more visible.

You will definitely be fixing lots of broken wires! Also try to avoid servicing them when the location is open. Repairs/cleaning/collecting is way more stressful when there are a bunch of customers hanging around.

#23 8 years ago

Hate to be a killjoy but did you have to get liability insurance to put them on location? Any licensing/permitting issues in your town?

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Hate to be a killjoy but did you have to get liability insurance to put them on location? Any licensing/permitting issues in your town?

Not being a killjoy, those are legit questions. I did get the insurance, and I have looked into the licensing / permits and have no issues in my town.

#25 8 years ago

Congrats! I have always wanted to do the same. Best of luck

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Vanapult:

This is exactly what I do. I had custom price cards made with a dedicated google voice number on it. This looks nice, but I should have realized that almost no player of any experience is taking time scrutinze a price card. Hoping to come up with something I can post right on the backbox of each game that is way more visible.

I'd actually just put the card on the under side of the playfield glass above the apron, maybe near the shooter lane. Even with good lighting it can be hard to read a note on the backglass from five feet away.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I'd actually just put the card on the under side of the playfield glass above the apron, maybe near the shooter lane. Even with good lighting it can be hard to read a note on the backglass from five feet away.

Printing a QR code would fix that for you. You can assign anything to a QR code. Links, phone numbers etc..

#28 8 years ago

Man, I would love to do this, but I like playing my games too much!

#29 8 years ago

Good luck!

I have an umbrella policy for personal liability. But why would you need it to put pinball machines on location?

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Vanapult:

Also try to avoid servicing them when the location is open. Repairs/cleaning/collecting is way more stressful when there are a bunch of customers hanging around.

Unless the owner is your best friend, he is unlikely to drive all the way over there and open up the joint just so you can fix a pinball machine.

Just put some white earbuds in your ears. Pretend you are listening to your meter beeping.

If anyone tries to talk to you, pull one earbud out as you scream "WHAT????" in their face.

They will ask the usual "I bet these games make a lot, huh?" , "I used to have a friend who had a pinball machine....", "This game took my dollar last night and did not give me credit".

Answer them with one or two words, then say "Hey, I can't hear my meter while I talk. I don't want to get in trouble with my boss standing around yapping....", put your earbud back in, and get back to work.

Even if you think the guy is probably lying about getting his dollar stolen, go find him when you are done and give him 2 credits.

Better to make a friend than have him peel the decals off the side of the machine when you leave.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Printing a QR code would fix that for you. You can assign anything to a QR code. Links, phone numbers etc..

I've never installed a reader on my phone and you'd be surprised how many people don't even know what they are any more or don't care enough to take the time to scan them. The lower the barrier to entry, the more likely someone will actually use the information. QR codes also have a bad rep as being spammy or scammy and people don't like "automatic" things happening on their phones.

You'd also still need a "scan this if maintenance is required" printed next to it. At that point a "Call or Text for service : 555-555-5555" is just as easy.

#32 8 years ago

What does liability insurance run on these 2 machines?
    What are you charging per game? Do they have dollar bill acceptors?

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Unless the owner is your best friend, he is unlikely to drive all the way over there and open up the joint just so you can fix a pinball machine.
    Just put some white earbuds in your ears. Pretend you are listening to your meter beeping.
    If anyone tries to talk to you, pull one earbud out as you scream "WHAT????" in their face.
    They will ask the usual "I bet these games make a lot, huh?" , "I used to have a friend who had a pinball machine....", "This game took my dollar last night and did not give me credit".
    Answer them with one or two words, then say "Hey, I can't hear my meter while I talk. I don't want to get in trouble with my boss standing around yapping....", put your earbud back in, and get back to work.
    Even if you think the guy is probably lying about getting his dollar stolen, go find him when you are done and give him 2 credits.
    Better to make a friend than have him peel the decals off the side of the machine when you leave.

Interesting take..

I always enjoyed having potential customers come up to me and chat. Make friends and more customers that way. If they entertained me (were interesting, or in to something I was curious about), I'd pop them a free game.

Of course, I never had a problem working and talking at the same time. I can't remember what I usually ended up saying, but hey.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Good luck!
    I have an umbrella policy for personal liability. But why would you need it to put pinball machines on location?

The bar's insurance DOES NOT cover your game in any way shape or form. If fact, it specifically excludes other's commercial equipment.

99% of personal liability polices exclude any commercial exposure.

If someone gets into a fight and hits their head on the machine, you and the bar will both be sued (yes, this actually happened in OH). It won't be in small claims court, so just retaining an attorney will be $10,000 to start.

If a child is injured, even receiving a small shock from an ungrounded machine, expect $500,000+ judgment against you - juries love to award big when children are involved. A jury of typical old people will certainly dislike the owner of a "gambling" machine.

Sit down with your wife and your attorney and decide if you can afford to not have commercial liability insurance.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Of course, I never had a problem working and talking at the same time. I can't remember what I usually ended up saying, but hey.

You're lucky, some people can't remember what they ended up working on.

#36 8 years ago

My insurance covers me personally and for business activities. I'm a corporate officer and have other business activities, but I don't operate pinball machines.

Would have never thought about liability for them, except for that thread last year about the father in law trapped under the machine or something.

#37 8 years ago

And they're off and running!

pins at upstreet-142250143.jpgpins at upstreet-142250143.jpg

1 week later
    #39 8 years ago

How has the first week been? Above or below expectations?

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

And they're off and running!
    pins at upstreet-142250143.jpg

Oh man... I almost had to thumbs you down for putting a no fade NF on route and near a window...

Good luck, glad to see you got the insurance, you are like in the 5% of routers that do I bet. I'm curious to see if the end result even offsets your costs. It appears you really have to look at these ventures as a "love of pinball" and "getting it out there" more so than a smart business plan. I looked into it, but I don't have the time to attend to all the things I need on my own machines, and I could quickly see where I would end up routing.

To me, it was the male gynecologist argument that got me: I don’t want it to get to be the last thing in the world I want to see in my free time is a pinball machine.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I've never installed a reader on my phone and you'd be surprised how many people don't even know what they are any more or don't care enough to take the time to scan them. The lower the barrier to entry, the more likely someone will actually use the information. QR codes also have a bad rep as being spammy or scammy and people don't like "automatic" things happening on their phones.
    You'd also still need a "scan this if maintenance is required" printed next to it. At that point a "Call or Text for service : 555-555-5555" is just as easy.

Pinball in a craft brewery....35 and under crowd, 80/20 rule!
    QR.jpgQR.jpg

QR code on the instruction card, customized for each game. I made this in 30 seconds, try it out.
    http://www.qrstuff.com/

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

How has the first week been? Above or below expectations?

Just about exactly what my expectations were. I'm not going to quit my day job for it, but it's doing ok. Time will tell whether interest drops off with those who get used to pinball availability, or new people start up who are afraid to look foolish trying. It could go either way. Or it could stay the same.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Oh man... I almost had to thumbs you down for putting a no fade NF on route and near a window...

Yeah, but there's nothing I can do about the window. I figure that since I'm collecting coins from this, if/when I take the machine off-route, the coins can pay for new decals. Maintenance cost is definitely a factor in pricing / routing.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Yeah, but there's nothing I can do about the window. I figure that since I'm collecting coins from this, if/when I take the machine off-route, the coins can pay for new decals. Maintenance cost is definitely a factor in pricing / routing.

As far as the uv from the window that one guy on Pinside that has the pincab plastic protectors might be a good buy for you, they protect your art from uv and other damage.

#45 8 years ago

Awesome! Great games. I wouldn't worry about cab fade. The machines are doing what they were designed to do and people are enjoying them. My hats off to you for putting them out there.

#46 8 years ago

When one maled less than the other, replace it.

#47 8 years ago

Makes less I meant

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Makes less I meant

I'm seeing that already. DW has twice the plays of NF after the first week. Which seems weird to me, NF is def easier to just walk up to and play without knowing anything about rule sets.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm seeing that already. DW has twice the plays of NF after the first week. Which seems weird to me, NF is def easier to just walk up to and play without knowing anything about rule sets.

Assuming newbies are your players, do they go up to a pinball machine and think about the ruleset that suits their novice play style or do they go up to the theme they like then start bashing both flippers at the same time?

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

You are in to pinball too much. Dr Who is a well know show recently + it has the time expander. No fear is a line of 90's clothing that fell out of style a long time ago.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/placing-games-on-location-tonight-excited and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.